Topic: UFX headphone amps and other questions

Having read and heard tons of positive reviews, I am on the verge of buying a Fireface UFX but have a few questions.

1. Compared to stand-alone units, how good are the headphone amps? I am considering buying a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 headphones @ 600ohm impedance. Will I be better off waiting until I can afford a better headphone amp or are the UFX amps decent for those high impedance cans? I am not only thinking in terms of volume but also sound quality (i.e. depth, resolution, precense etc) as I've heard the T1 needs very decent amps to get the most out of them.

2. Is there any way to use the UFX as a DAC/headphone amp for my computer? I suppose I could convert lossless sound files to WAV and load them into a USB drive and then play them off at the UFX but is there a simpler/quicker/more convenient solution?

3. Will there be a substantial difference from using the mic preamps for instrument inputs as compared to the Zoom H4n portable recorder I'm using for direct monitoring now?

best regards,
Vegard Gilja

2 (edited by dainbramage 2011-10-30 09:58:15)

Re: UFX headphone amps and other questions

4. I am using a HP Pavillion DV6 notebook PC:

- AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core 1.80Ghz
- 8GB RAM
- Windows 7 64bit

Will there be any compatibility issues with the UFX?

I have heard AMD processors are not very USB-friendly and I have very bad (i.e. it is useless) experiences with using the H4n as an audio interface with this computer to say the least.

edit: There is no firewire port on this computer.

3 (edited by Masaaki 2011-10-30 12:58:49)

I will reply based on my limited experience. Yes, I have UFX.
1. Headphone amp: I have some high impdance cans like HD650, and UFX drives them no problem. But to get the best out of them, I use headphone amps. T1 is expensive, and it's better to have a quality headphone amp (such as Grace m903) to get the best out of it, in my opinion.
2. You can use UFX that way, but I don't see the point. Playing the WAV file in the computer (from your DAW), through UFX should give you the same result.
3. Difference from H4N should be substantial...I don't have H4N, but UFX is totally different league.
4. I have tested and used UFX with core i7 950, AMD Phenom II 4x core, 6x core PCs (all desktop, all gigabyte motherboard), and i7 2820QM (Thinkpad W520) via USB and firewire ports. No errors, whatsoever. Well, that tells something. But I don't have AMD laptop, so I could be wrong.

Thank you for your reply.

Masaaki wrote:

such as Grace m903

Coincidentally enough I have been considering the Grace m903 but it seems it is built for low impedance cans? I read somewhere that there would be problems with this combination, or at least that high impedance cans would suffer in quality due to impedance issues.

Masaaki wrote:

Playing the WAV file in the computer (from your DAW), through UFX should give you the same result

So what you are saying is I can monitor sounds from the computer to the UFX in addition to from the UFX to the computer? Would that also be the case with, say, VLC player (so I could listen to say FLAC-files through the UFX headphone amps)? So basically this means that yes, I can use the UFX as a DAC?

2 yes ofcourse. Yes also vlc and flac although I prefer XMplayer for that (also plays gapless flac and mp3)
1 only way is to try if it suits you. What I find great might be unacceptable to you and visa verse.
I have an old HD580 (also high imp.) which I love, and sounds great to me to whatever I connect it to.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

dainbramage wrote:

Coincidentally enough I have been considering the Grace m903 but it seems it is built for low impedance cans? I read somewhere that there would be problems with this combination, or at least that high impedance cans would suffer in quality due to impedance issues.

No, it should be just fine. Or just great, I should say. Although, I use Benchmark DAC as my digital headphone amp for high impedance cans, and Meier audio amp for analog. I sold m902, when I got STAX cans. I don't have direct experience with m903, so I could be wrong.

dainbramage wrote:

So what you are saying is I can monitor sounds from the computer to the UFX in addition to from the UFX to the computer? Would that also be the case with, say, VLC player (so I could listen to say FLAC-files through the UFX headphone amps)? So basically this means that yes, I can use the UFX as a DAC?

You just set the output device from the Windows control panel, and the application will send the streaming signals to UFX via USB or firewire. But it seems you are mostly concerned about the DAC/headphone out for your headphone applications. UFX is of course superb in that category, but the true strength is its multi-channel capacity with high grade preamps, versatile routing options via TotalMix, front DUREC. In my opinion, if you are loonking for headphone applications, dedicated DAC (like the one from Benchmark) would provide you better results at the same price.

7 (edited by dainbramage 2011-10-30 15:18:16)

Masaaki wrote:

it seems you are mostly concerned about the DAC/headphone out for your headphone applications. UFX is of course superb in that category, but the true strength is its multi-channel capacity with high grade preamps, versatile routing options via TotalMix, front DUREC. In my opinion, if you are loonking for headphone applications, dedicated DAC (like the one from Benchmark) would provide you better results at the same price.

I am getting the UFX for recording purposes and have researched extensively for months before finally deciding which interface to pick up.

The reason I am curious about the headphone/DAC is to decide whether or not I should order the T1 with the UFX or whether I should wait until I can afford a good amp to go along with it. If the headphone amps are not decent enough to get much of T1 I would only get the UFX. I don't want to spend money on T1 yet if I can not really use them yet.

Edit: So basically, it is a matter of choosing between getting both and live on bread and water for a month but with euphoric listening experiences and outstanding recording possibilities, or living with decent food and drinks with only outstanding recording possibilities big_smile

8 (edited by Masaaki 2011-10-30 16:09:19)

Understood. I was just superficially curious about your application, since T1 is the flagship headphone from Beyer, and I just thought you are going after mastering applications. But, it seems you are going to make the right choice, and I can say with all my confidence, UFX will give you superb results. It could be a one stop solution for you, if you have tried other interfaces.

As to the headphones, there are other high impedance cans from Beyer (880pro 250ohm etc), if you like Beyer's sound, and they are also great sounding cans tested with UFX. Personally, I like Sennheiser, Denon, and STAX, and particularly Denon for mixing/editing purposes for accuracy (matched with my monitors). You can also test the UFX's headphone out with Sennheiser HD650 (which is also great sounding can), to get the idea of 600ohm cans, and speculate the performance of T1 from there (except for the sonic character of T1 itself). Well, I'm not talking about RME products, and distracting you, so I'll stop.

Try lehmannaudio headphone amps. I have already two of them. Same ditsributor as RME gear (Synthax).

Maaaki wrote:

You can also test the UFX's headphone out with Sennheiser HD650 (which is also great sounding can), to get the idea of 600ohm cans, and speculate the performance of T1 from there (except for the sonic character of T1 itself)

Thing is I don't have any high-end headphones to actually test the headphone out with, nor any audiophile friends. I live in a very remote area making it hard to audition sound equipment.

From what you're saying however I think I'll get the T1 with the UFX and go for an external amp at a later stage.

Ulrich wrote:

Try lehmannaudio headphone amps. I have already two of them. Same ditsributor as RME gear (Synthax).

Thank you for the tip. They do however seem hard to get in Norway and I'm not sure I want to pay huge shipping costs. For some reason I really want the Grace m903 to work well with the T1 but I can't find any specific information on this combination.

Again, I live in a very remote area making it hard to audition sound equipment.

The Lehmannaudio "linear pro" will still be MUCH cheaper than the grace, regardless the shipping costs... Available e.g. from thomann. However, the grace has more (and different) functionality. The lehmannaudio is just perfect as "plain" headphone amp and is designed to work with all headphones available. In terms of sound it is a reference design without any doubt, all reviews agree on this...