1 (edited by neirbod 2011-10-31 17:39:18)

Topic: "Live mixing without FOH console"

I see on the RME home page that one of the rotating news stories is about someone mixing using the UFX to mix a live show without a FOH console.  Many here have expressed a strong interest in using the UFX in such a way and incorporating a midi controller to assist.  But there are several impediments to such a system, most importantly (to me at least):

1) no ability to control DSP effects via midi
2) no ability to disable or reorder inputs and outputs so that you don't have unused channels taking up space and you can organize your channels as you prefer/need

Given the news story, I am wondering if there is some way to do these things that I am not aware of.  If not, does RME have any news on if or when such features will be added? 

Cheers,

David

Re: "Live mixing without FOH console"

Hi!

I did gig this weekend with just RME UFX and few active speakers. There was 2 rock bands and we were using 4 monitor lines. I did it that way that RME and 2 x ADA8000 was on stage and all I got as "FOH" was Macbook pro and 20 meters of USB -cable (expandable to 56meters I think). I was very please with system. No more analog desk and rack of FX's, comps etc (at least for these small bar gig's).

I don't think there's currently way to hide or re-order channels totally from TotalMix FX. I'd like to have these those features too. It would easy up the use.

I'd also request 31 -band EQ to main outputs to use as FOH GEQ. It think this could be done very easily.

It would also be VERY nice to create somekind of theme support to TotalMix FX (totally customable) allowing also rearrangement of UI.

-J-

Ps. I recorded shows. Love this thing!
Ps2. Controlling effects with just pure midi is not currently possible. I've read from forums that it might be possible in future...

In that video mentioned above, Chuck Knowledge talks about his crew "running around with tablets".  Can anyone elaborate on just what this means?  How can a tablet be used with TM?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10404

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

It works very fine with tablet (Ipad is what I have. Software used is AC-7 Core) IF you don't need access to EQ or effects. You can access all inputs and all hardware outputs. So it's possible to modify headphone mixes ex. from stage.

-J-

jemaliahz wrote:

I did gig this weekend with just RME UFX and few active speakers. There was 2 rock bands and we were using 4 monitor lines. I did it that way that RME and 2 x ADA8000 was on stage and all I got as "FOH" was Macbook pro and 20 meters of USB -cable (expandable to 56meters I think). I was very please with system. No more analog desk and rack of FX's, comps etc (at least for these small bar gig's).

I am curious, did you use the UFX's EQ, compression and/or delay?  If so, did you use a computer and mouse to control them?  Ideally (for me) I could tweak these effects without using a computer as I trust the UFX more in standalone mode (more precisely, I trust the UFX but don't trust any computer).  I know others have asked for this ability, and it seems like it should be possible, but RME has been quiet about it.

I did use UFX's EQ, Comps and reverb controlled with Macbook Pro. No problems with that setup. If USB connection is cut off nothing horrible really happens. I'll just lost control for until reconnection but sound keeps coming all the time.

-J-

I used to use a PreSonus digital mixer. It came with a virtual controller called Universal Control, which, you run on your laptop, hooked up to the mixer. Then, they came out with an iPad app that controls Universal Control wirelessly. As it happens, the iPad app is absolute genius. It is probably the best thing they make... and it's free. Of course, the PreSonus dac, latency, and pre-amp quality didn't leave me feeling all that warm and fuzzy, but their iPad app is out of this world. My suggestion to RME, is to take a look at it, figure out how to make it better, and then turn their UFX into into the best FOH mixer there ever was ;-) I'll beta test it all day long every day if they do.

Macbook Pro i7, 8GB Ram, Fireface UFX, Logic 9, Mainstage2, Ableton Studio 8

jemaliahz wrote:

I did use UFX's EQ, Comps and reverb controlled with Macbook Pro. No problems with that setup. If USB connection is cut off nothing horrible really happens. I'll just lost control for until reconnection but sound keeps coming all the time.

Thanks.  I suppose I could try that as well.  Now I just need to do it wirelessly! 

I am with pianafiddle - RME please sign me up as a beta tester for a more complete solution!

I don't have a plan to use UFX for FOH, but the ability of rearranging inputs/outputs will sounds good to me.
Right now, for example, stereo input is paired only like 1-2, 3-4, etc.
I want to pair like, 1 (mono), 2-3 (stereo), and 4 (mono) sometimes. Then, I have to change the cables. It's easier if I can do that in the software. (or, am I missing something in Total Mix FX??)