1 (edited by solopf 2011-11-01 03:53:04)

Topic: UFX downgrade firmware fail and white screen after power on

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately my UFX has dead no:, because someone use older driver and fail to downgrade the UFX firmware to lower version DeadHorse. Now the UFX only show a white screen after power on, and it didn't show up in a computer.

It's said that UFX has a Safety BIOS feature, and will still boot up on firmware update fail. How can I make my UFX live again? Is there a shortcut during the power on to active the Safety BIOS feature?

Thank you!

Re: UFX downgrade firmware fail and white screen after power on

White screen or not - the UFX can still be flashed to any version via USB, when drivers are present on the computer. When the UFX is not detected at all then it must be really broken somehow.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by plush2 2011-11-02 06:08:02)

I managed to get the white screen as well after upgrading to the latest firmware (UFX: 351/141/340) on a powermac 8 core running snow leapord. 

The unit had already been flashed to the latest firmware from a Windows 7 64 bit Sony Vaio but after recording a 27 track concert through DuRec we found that we could not get the files recognized by ProTools 9 on the above mentioned Mac (or any mac/protools combination of the 3 that we tried really).  It gave a very obfuscated error about file location and then refused to load at all.  This was never a problem with multichannel UFX files of any size from previous firmwares.  ProTools was able to eventually load the files after converting them with the Mac version of the multichannel wave batch file processor but the audio had the continuous static sounding distortion of a file that has been interpreted incorrectly.  These problems persisted for any subsequent DuRec recording tests we did to a selection of drives.

After converting the files of the original DuRec drive using the PC version of the multichannel wave batch file processor they all loaded fine into ProTools 9 on the Mac.

It was in the interests of fixing this strange file problem that we attempted to re-update the firmware from the Mac.  When this resulted in the white screen we located an old firmware from June of this year and succesfully flashed back to this.  All recording tests since have worked flawlessly.

We might need to examine your unit. Of course the current firmware should not cause effects like this. Which firmware did you downgrade to exactly?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

plush2 - did you use AutoSet? We just found a bug in firmware 141 which causes unpredictable corruption to the front USB port of the UFX when AutoSet is actually working. A new firmware fixing this will be available shortly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I recall playing around with autoset a bit during the rehearsal/setup for recording the show so it is possible it was on for one stereo pair the entire time.  Would this cause a subtle enough corruption in the entire multichannel file to all subsequent recordings so that they would act strangely on a mac but be openly readable on a pc?

Nothing is impossible with this bug. Thanks for confirmation. And for other readers: we are talking about the recodings made via the DURec feature. Not the Mac or PC software (DAW) recordings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Version 144 has just been released.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME