1 (edited by spa 2011-11-05 21:19:22)

Topic: Problems to work in 96 khz under WIN7 64 Bit

Hi There,

experiencing real troubles under Windows 7 64bit please help

first The specs of my system:

(Win7-professional_64bit / Reason 6.01 / Ableton 8.2.6 )
M-B: Asus P8Z68-V Pro; CPU: Intel Core I7-2600K @ 3,5 Ghz;
8GB Ram @ 1333; 120GB SSD via Sata 3; Gra-Ka : ATI Radeon X1300 (using Microsoft Driver)
Firewire: DeLock PCI card (chipset unknown) OHCI-conform Microsoft Lagacy driver "alt"
Audio: RME Fireface 400 (1.70) driver 3.0.59 --- before Edirol FA 66

clean win installation only for Audio

[img align=L]http://www.imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/dpcresults.png[/img]

now the problem:

after purchasing my FF yesterday I never got it running in 96 khz moder under Reason 64bit or 32bit application
when I try so it just ends hung up after a short time ( 30sec to 3 min)  most prefereably looping the last Sample giving a beep sound
drivers do not respond anymore- but Windows is still alive
but I have to restart the whole computer in order to bring the FF back to response

it works great in 44,1 khz but That´s not enough

The FA 66 I used before worked great

any Ideas??

Re: Problems to work in 96 khz under WIN7 64 Bit

No one... not even the support crew??

Hi again...

the problem is nearly solved...

I just unplugged my PCI firewire card and used the onboard VIA chipset - et voila working in 96k came to live
so it was the FW PCI card - btw. it uses an "ALI"-chipset

after That I got it running in 24 bit 96k using 96 Samples buffer (aound 2ms output latency),
but whenever I scroll the screen in whatever software, it started crackling -

maybe a problem with the graphic-card not powerfull enough??

so I disabled Aero and so on ( set to "best performance" in the Win systemsettings )
now it works like a charm with the specs stated above
....Well, now my Win7 looks like Win95  - thought the DOS-promt comes up in a second;-D... but it works

All that brings me to annother Question

Would I be able to either get even more performance out of it (48 Samples)?
and/or use Win7´s Aero and so on

maybe by using a Firewire TI  PCI/PCIe card and a new graphic adaptor?

If so...
any Hardware recomandations???

anyone who experienced similar things??

4 (edited by Timur 2011-11-03 16:10:04)

Check DPCs while you are scrolling.

spa wrote:

anyone who experienced similar things??

Similar things, yes. A better graphic card help a lot here, still that running without aero is always better and normal; more graphic features = more demand. I would try latest ATI drivers instead MS just in case.
Otherwise I can't say more since if my system works border line for my purpose, is dinosaur now and I only start to look foward for something new...

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

6 (edited by spa 2011-11-04 14:30:03)

hey guys thaks for the replie:

@Timur... here the DPC´s taken while frequend scolling

[img align=L]http://s1.directupload.net/images/111104/hdta5e2q.png[/img]

still under 500us - should normaly be allright, shouldn`t it? 

@rwil going to check the driver soon
   can you recommand any graphicadaptor wich is compatible and using propper drivers
   that do not interfere with the system performance?

thanks again

@rwil going to check the driver soon
   can you recommand any graphicadaptor wich is compatible and using propper drivers
   that do not interfere with the system performance?

On the ATI side, the HD 5450 without fan seems cool. 3 x times transistors @ 40nm instead of 90nm, another processing architecture + much more, so that one should gives much better than your x1300. I didn't verify if any reported issues with that one though.

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

I am running a card with the HD 54540 here on an i7-870 system, and it works just fine. No fan, no noise being the main reason I bought it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi There,

@rwil and RME
I´ll give that HD5454 a try as I found my X1300´s drivers deprecated for Win7 (Vista drivers only to be used as legacy for Win7)
simultaneously I´ll go for an PCIe x1 card with TI Firewire to compare it to The VIA onboard Fw as the new HD 5454 will reveal a
PCIe x1 Port with no IRQ´s shared - at the moment this one is blocked by the X1300´s Heatpipe
I´ll state the results

thanks

With Ableton Live try to set its CPU priority to "Realtime" via Task-Manager. In order to do that you need to either start Task-Manager "as Administrator" or click on "Show processes from all users".