1 (edited by ephemera 2011-11-03 08:00:49)

Topic: getting started with uc

Hi Im a complete newbie and I just purchased the UC so Im currently at a loss as to how to set up pro tools to use with it on a macbook pro. I have installed the driver and updated the firmware and thats all good.    I created an aggregate device in audio set up and selected it in the playback engine settings of pro tools.    When I hit the key on my synth I can hear the audio coming from the uc but it isn't showing any level on my track in pro tools.  When I select 'interface' on the input of the track the only two options are built in mic and built in input.  I thought I should see the channels from the interface but nothing is there??    What should I do?

Re: getting started with uc

Why did you build an aggregate device? That is only needed when using more than one interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ephemera 2011-11-03 09:23:08)

Im sorry but I don't see the point of your question.  It doesn't help me with my problem.
I have no idea what Im doing as there are no instructions anywhere.  If I shouldn't do that then what should I do??
Some instructions for novices would be nice but they don't appear to exist! 
How about instead of asking why Im doing what Im doing perhaps direct me to some clear instruction on what I should be doing.  thanks

4 (edited by ephemera 2011-11-03 10:32:07)

So why aren't the channels showing in my track input??  anyone??

MC's (fully valid) point is that there is no need for an aggregate device in this kind of setup, and therefore this question does concern your problem directly. Apparently, you did have some such instructions and followed them. But instead, you can simply choose the UC as audio device in PT and start playing back audio. The rest is predominantly a matter of how to set up and use PT, which you will find explained in the Avid manual and online help. If you need more help with that, Avid do have a user forum as well.

If there are specific questions about the UC, feel free to ask them here. 

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by ephemera 2011-11-03 11:43:12)

RME Support wrote:

MC's (fully valid) point is that there is no need for an aggregate device in this kind of setup, and therefore this question does concern your problem directly. Apparently, you did have some such instructions and followed them. But instead, you can simply choose the UC as audio device in PT and start playing back audio. The rest is predominantly a matter of how to set up and use PT, which you will find explained in the Avid manual and online help. If you need more help with that, Avid do have a user forum as well.

If there are specific questions about the UC, feel free to ask them here. 

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No actually I had no instruction at all because RME does not provide any unfortunately.  Instead I looked at audio setup and was left to guess what to do but apparently I did not make the right choice as MC so succinctly pointed out. 

My specific question is how do I route my audio from the UC to pro tools. I presume that the channels are supposed to be there in my audio track inputs but they are not. I have chosen fireface in settings/playback engine of pro tools. So why is the interface not showing in track inputs?
I understand that avid have a forum, I have posted there as well as several other forums. Im spreading my net wide hoping to get some help here.  I came to RME because after having just spent $1200 on your product I was hoping I might get some assistance getting started. Thanks.

Sorry to be a tad blunt here, but the price of your new car does not buy you driving lessons, either... cool We will certainly help, but where it's a matter of the PT configuration or general understanding of computer audio, you may want to consider looking for professional assistance or guidance, too.

That said, there is no need to actively route signals from the UC to PT. If you see a signal at the UC mixer's inputs, then PT or any other audio software can pick it up straight from the inputs. The mixer is (and can not be) in the way of that, so apart from checking for signal, you can simply ignore it for now.
If there is no signal in the mixer where you want it, then check your connections first.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

8 (edited by ephemera 2011-11-03 12:35:08)

RME Support wrote:

Sorry to be a tad blunt here, but the price of your new car does not buy you driving lessons, either... cool We will certainly help, but where it's a matter of the PT configuration or general understanding of computer audio, you may want to consider looking for professional assistance or guidance, too.

That said, there is no need to actively route signals from the UC to PT. If you see a signal at the UC mixer's inputs, then PT or any other audio software can pick it up straight from the inputs. The mixer is (and can not be) in the way of that, so apart from checking for signal, you can simply ignore it for now.
If there is no signal in the mixer where you want it, then check your connections first.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No you're right of course the price of a new car does not buy driving lessons however if I get great service and assistance I never forget it because its a rarity these days and I will buy my car from that shop for a life time as well as recommend my friends  to them :-)  The reverse is true if all I feel is that my money has been taken and the sales person could care less about me. 
Anyway Im not here to proselytise on good service I'm here because I have faith that your product is one of the best and Im hoping your service matches it.
So if we can please get down to getting this resolved and end this tit for tat I can be out of your hair so you can do whatever else it is that is more important for you. thanks

As pro tools is so ubiquitous Im sure that either your self or some of your tech staff associates know and use pro tools with RME products. I know its not in your job description to help me with pro tools but I am asking you graciously and would really appreciate it if you could possibly help as pro tools is what I am using with your product and I am trying to get help on their forums as well as 3 other forums also but its very slow and I have been trying to get running for 6 hours now and losing patience fast.

I got rid of the aggregate device mistake so we can forget that
I have set my playback engine to fire face.
I have my synth plugged into inputs 5/6 of UC
I can hear my synth and I can see the level in the UC hardware input a/n 5/6
I restored my I/O paths in pro tools to default  so now when I look in the track input/interface of pro tools I can see stereo inputs 5/6 - 17/18
Not sure if this correct as Im just winging it with the little I know.

The main fader in total mix has a signal and the hardware output adar 7/8 has a signal (not sure why)??
Cant seem to  figure out how to change the output.
Do i need to change the hardware output to match my pro tools input?  If so how do I do this?
If not then how exactly do i route my signal to pro tools. thanks again

I have already given you the answer in my previous posting. There is no need (and in fact, no way) to actively "route" signal to Protools. You can totally ignore the UC mixer for this purpose. If you see an incoming signal in the top row of the mixer, then everything is ok as far as the physical signal path is concerned. The rest is entirely a matter of the audio software and its configuration, and there is nothing at all PT specific in the way this happens. The driver/card does not actively send signal to an application, but instead, the program has to pick it up there, after being told by the user which inputs to listen to by way of the audio device configuration/selection.

Basic input and recording configuration is explained in the PT manual, this is where you need to look first. Have you tried this and faced specific problems? Have you tried another audio software for a test, e.g. RME DIgicheck or Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I can hear my signal in pro tools now when I enable the record button of my track.     However the tempo appears to be controlled by UC as its not playing correctly at the tempo set in pro tools. Instead it is faster.  Is there a way to disable or change my tempo in UC?

Let me suggest some tutorial sites like this:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/
and there are bunch of Pro Tools "How To" sites on the net.

Besides, FF UC (or any kind of audio interface) does not have tempo control, as far as I know. Although, your problem might be due to sample rate inconsistency, which should be addressed on the DAW side (Pro Tools).

Wow..  I wish i had enough money to buy Pro gear that i had no idea how to use lol. 
as for the tempo issue when first setup my FFUC it was playing back too fast,   i reset the sample rate to 44.1 in the fireface stettings app. to solve the issue..