1 (edited by crewxp 2011-11-08 07:20:54)

Topic: RME HDSPe PCI Express vs Xonar STx vs Titanium HD vs Toneport UX2

First time asking for computer help, lol. I found an area I'm not knowledgeable in.

I've been using a Toneport UX2 to satisfy my ASIO Needs for Producing Audio and playing it back real-time. I play large libraries of samples (Orchestra and Piano from EWQL). When I play, I have about 8 instruments playing at once with my midi keyboard and maybe a few more looped in the backdrop. There's about 1/4-1/2 of a second lag when I play my audio and I've come to terms that I finally need a better ASIO Card. I have it on the fastest settings and it still doesn't even use 2% of my cpu when playing. I get tons of clipping and pops when playing also.

Is the RME HDSPe card better in terms of producing a more accurate sound and lower latency? (Compared to the EMU 1212m, Xonar, and Titanium HD) I just purchased a X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe for my PC (Upgraded from onboard x-fi), and I have tinkered around a bit with the ASIO features. The quality is BETTER than my UX2 and has a lower latency. But I'm not sure if this card meets my needs. It's not 5.1 like I thought it was and is overpriced for not suiting my needs. If I can find a better ASIO card with better quality and lower latency, I want to return this and switch.

I was recommended this card by some producers I met once. I was hoping it would satisfy my needs for a long time and not be overkill also for what I need. (It's the cheapest PCIe card)

My Setup:
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Intel i7 920 overclocked to 3.2GHZ
Windows 7 64-bit
Cubase 64-bit
Many VSTs and Samples (EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Kontakt, etc).
12GB DDR3 Ram (Usually use about 8-10GB when recording).
Toneport UX2 ASIO Box

Thanks guys!

Setup:
i7-3930K / Rampage IV Extreme / 32GBMem / Win8.1 64-bit
Cubase 7.5
RME HDSPe AIO - A4IS&A4OS

2 (edited by crewxp 2011-11-08 15:20:07)

Re: RME HDSPe PCI Express vs Xonar STx vs Titanium HD vs Toneport UX2

I did a little research and also found that the Babyface USB interface is recommended by people also. I'm only using the card to produce a high-quality, no clipping, and low latency sound from my instruments. I play a lot at once so I really would like an upgrade. I'm debating between a used babyface, basic HDSPe PCIe card, and EMU's 0404 USB 2.0 Box. I think I will sell my Titanium HD, as all of the latter cards sound promising.

I don't know all what I need (underkill? overkill?), but RME came highly recommended. I would like to learn what else the cards offer too since I only see myself getting deeper in all of this.

Setup:
i7-3930K / Rampage IV Extreme / 32GBMem / Win8.1 64-bit
Cubase 7.5
RME HDSPe AIO - A4IS&A4OS

Re: RME HDSPe PCI Express vs Xonar STx vs Titanium HD vs Toneport UX2

I wouldn't even mention E-Mu in the same breath as RME.

Any of the RME cards will deliver killer sound quality at the lowest available latencies while simultaneously being efficient with system resources.  I'm personally a PCIe fan, but a used Babyface (if you can find one) would be high on my list if I only needed 2x2 analog I/O.  Totalmix in and of itself offers killer routing flexibility (I couldn't live w/o it!), and the Babyface and other newer RME interfaces also include "Totalmix FX" which includes high-quality DSP onboard.

Of course, your PC will need to be of descent quality and have well-behaved drivers to avoid DPC issues which will hamper any audio card and DAW Application.  If the PC is all sorted, then I'd say RME should be a quick road to plug-and-play bliss...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8