Topic: high pitched, sine like noise with AIO card

Hello,

Strange, high pitched noise occurs every time I open any audio application such as reaper, kontakt (in standalone mode), samplitude, adobe audition etc. It sounds like a severe case of tinnitus and very noticeable in headphones and speakers and always disappears when I exit any of my audio applications. I had Lynx TWO audio in the same computer with the same configuration and it was absolutely silent.
I don’t use AIO A/D conversion and my usual chain is crane song HEDD and then AES/EBU to AIO.
The noise is present even when everything is disconnected and I use only headphone output of AIO.
As I previously mentioned the noise is not present when audio applications are closed.
Here is my system:

Windows 7 64
NVIDIA dual DVI silent box (fanless) video card with 1gig of ram
550w silent (fanless) power supply
In short, there is only one fan in this box and it is far away from the card.

Any ideas?
Thank you

2 (edited by AES MAN 2011-11-07 21:13:29)

Re: high pitched, sine like noise with AIO card

BTW Awhile back I posted the same message here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12248

and it appears that some other people were having the same problem. I emailed the serial number (which is printed on the box under the barcode 23125537) to RME support team and now - few months later there is still no solution or any kind of help. The difference since then is that the same happens in all other audio applications and this is yet another brand new computer. So, I paid all this money for “supposedly” one of the most reliable card out there and it is totally useless!

Below is my previous message:

Very strange, high pitch noise appears every time I insert a new track in Reaper.

Let me describe you my system and how it all happens:

I have RME AIO card that is fed from HEDD via AES outputs with a super high grade, silver cables.

It is all installed into audio optimized Windows 7/64 computer which is not online and the whole wiring in the studio is very well thought out; no ground loops or power line noises etc, etc…

When I open Reaper 4.02 everything is fine and as it should be. Then I right click on the left pane in order to insert a new track and arm it for recording (which is AIO AES L) I can immediately hear some strange high pitched noise. Kind of like a mixture of radio white noise and dithering (more like dithering). If I insert second track, which is AIO AES R, the noise gets louder.

As I access device panel to see all ASIO and other audio driver options the noise would disappear but reappear as soon as I quit the device panel.

The same happens even if I disconnect all cables from RME AIO card.

I’m recording 96 KHz, 24 bit and everything on HEDD, AIO and Reaper set accordingly to this specs.

I can hear the noise only when my headphones are cranked up very high (I have 5 pairs of headphones and I hear this noise in all of them.)

Somebody in Reaper forums suggested that it is Windows 7 videos card bug: “In some configurations you can hear the activity of the graphics card.
Sometimes updating the graphics card's driver will fix it, but it depends on the manufacturer, some are better than others at fixing issues.
As far as I know the sound from the graphics card is only audible through headphones….”

I also noticed that moving the mouse sporadically on the screen affects this zipper sound.
Are there any known solutions for this bug? Is there something I can disable to get rid of this noise?

Cheers,

Any ideas?

Are all power saving settings for the CPU disabled in the bios (like speedstep and C1E etc) If no try that. If this helps and you think you need the power saving, reenable them one by one untill the noise comes back. That way you know which one is causing it.
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi Vincent,

Yes. In addition to your suggestions I have disabled CPU TM Function, Execute-Disable Bit Capability, Intel Virtualization Tech..all of which helped to eliminate about 70% of the noise. I mean, the problem became more manageable. I suppose, I can survive with the noise been down by 70%. As I mentioned before, Lynx TWO and Lynx AES16e do not have this problem at all when tried on the same motherboard hence my search for solutions with the same mobo.
Thanks

I was thinking of buying one of these, but now I'm really put off!
no: