1 (edited by Pierrot727 2011-11-12 15:30:15)

Topic: Advice about RME Fireface serie, what one is the best for me ?

Hello,

I want to buy an RME acquisition 400 800 or UFX.

Here the utilisation that i have to :
- record my piano via 6.35 jack (PLEYEL with "loud" system (jack output, i'm not sure about loud word lol, i'm french)
- record voice with an mic akg c414
- record classic guitar with mic km184
- record electric guitar
- record folk guitar.

Not in the same time

In same time i need to :

- play on headphone a track
- play on second headphone a second track (different of first)
- play on HP a third track (different too)
- record in multichannel (2 voice + 1 guitar or piano or 2 guitar)

I want to do this using a Mac with cubase.
(the singer hear a full song with real singer on headphone, in same time a piano player heared the same track but without piano track and with the singer voice, and for the person who are present, heared the complete stuff (song + piano + singer) in the third headphone or HP). Well i'm not sure to be clear but i hope that you understand.

I take serious stuff to do this so what for you is the best model for me ?

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

I heared :
- Take a 400, you do not request more with that.
- Take a 800 to not have always need to plug/unplugged material and with the quality of your mic to have better converter
- Take a UFX for the converter quality and recent refresh on totalmix quality

Re: Advice about RME Fireface serie, what one is the best for me ?

Hi,
From you description it seems the UFX would be the best solution.

4 Microphone/Instrument inputs (They work great with the AKG microphones you mentioned.)
2 independent headphone outputs (Each Headphone out has Low and High Impedance settings so any headphones will work and sound excellent.)

Here are some You Tube videos the go over more of the UFX features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M23E1Njrc4

http://youtu.be/mZcx3Et_hlg

http://youtu.be/sJ166no8Lws

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Ok thanks very much for your help.

Well, in first tyme i don't choose the UFX because there are a lot of input that i don't need and UFX seems a little more complicated that the 800 for example.

And for the different headphone i can use pack of 2 output and "send" them on an amp or directly to the headphone. I just have to set the volume by computer.

In fact, UFX seems really interesting for the fact that it can work standalone configuration and record mode. I watch the you tube file : very cool and impressive. The configuration seems unlimited.

I have an important question : i'm not a professionnal so if i set bad an input, or make something wrong, is it possible to back to delivery configuration ? is there a possibility of conflict betwen standalone mode and when i use the computer ?

Thanks for your help

Best R.

Pierre

FF800 will suit you also, but it will not provide you stand-alone mode like ufx.

Pierrot727 wrote:

I have an important question : i'm not a professionnal so if i set bad an input, or make something wrong, is it possible to back to delivery configuration ? is there a possibility of conflict betwen standalone mode and when i use the computer ?

The software comes with UFX (Total Mix FX) will allow you to switch back all the settings to default, so you don't need to worry about screwing up configuration. It even save several configurations as files, and then you can call them. Very convenient feature, indeed (well, most professional interfaces are able to do similar things.)

As to the switching between stand alone and computer-connected mode, the Total Mix FX will check the integrity between two setups, and a popup windown will show up, then ask you whether you copy the setup of the stand alone mode from the unit to computer, or keep using the configuration in the computer.

Well with all this opinion, i think i buy the UFX : i do not need all input for moment but i buy it for a long time so it will be evolutive smile

Thanks for your help, I have computer, i have mic, now i choose the converter, i only need to find good headset & active phone for the output and it's complete. No idea for moment, so if you have any advice in this way to conclude this good package.

Best R.

Pierre

7 (edited by Masaaki 2011-11-13 03:45:24)

I just checked back your first post (didn't read to write my post above), and found that you may be able to accomplish what you want to do with cheaper units, except for the stand alone use. The question is, how many instruments are you going to record at the same time. If that stereo micing for each instrument is what you are going to do, then Fireface UC can perfectly do that. You mentioned you want to record voice x 2 + other instruments, but you will face some bleeding problem unless you have really good isolation booths. If you need 4 mics at the same time, you can add two channel mic preamps, then plug in to the line inputs.

As to the headphone routing, it can be done by using some headphone amps, because the software driver will allow you to have different cue mix to the analog outputs.

Of course, UFX is an excellent choice, but if you don't need the stand alone feature immediately, UC is actually my recommendation.

As to the headphone, probably any headphones will work with RME units, unless you choose extremely high impedance cans. So, choose the one based on your favorite style (closed/semi open/open), and character (bright/neutral/warm etc).