Topic: general bit depth output question..truncation?

Hello,

A question only you can answer but i failed to find something about that in the manuals of my interfaces..maybe have over read it.. or the question is too special.. But i think that others have asked it before.. just no hits in the forum search.. So..

1) What is the bit with between application and the interface? 32 bit float? ( in apple )
2) how will that bit depth be translated to the 24 bit DA convertors?
3) the inetranl mixing is all 32 bit float as i ve read in your manuals.. yes or no?
4) so how is that output becoming 24 bits in the DA? is there dithering or truncation involved?

thank you for answers

Re: general bit depth output question..truncation?

1), 2) 24 bit with DAW applications
3) depends on the device, 40 or 42 bit ons some.
4) Truncation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

In Apple Core Audio the internal bit depth is indeed 32 bit float. This is converted to 24 bit fixed within the interface driver. The rest of TM operates like described in the old Tech Infos, just that the newest TM and TM versions have a few more bits for calculation of all gains and channels efficiently.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks..

so the transfer from 32 bit float to the 24 bit fixed within the interface will be performed with truncation. right?

would it be beneficial to dither the output of the daw to 24 bit before it reaches the interface?

Just to have a better monitor sound?

Not at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME