Topic: HDSPe MADI with M-32DA - Buffer Induced Jitter?

I have the above on evaluation for my virtual pipe organ project http://theatreorgans.com/ianmclean/. The organ runs on an Apple MacPRO running 10.6.7. The engine is Hauptwerk V4. My sample set runs @ 24 bits/48khz and the entire organ loads from RAM.

Up until recently this project was using four Echo Audiofire 12's (AF12). Before that it ran with three AF12s and one Presonus Firebox. Two AF12s started to fail about a month ago. As I have also owned an RME FF400 which was my recording interface, and which has delivered excellent results, consequently I decided to try out the HDSPe MADI with M-32DA as a replacement.

At the beginning of this evaluation process my plan was to keep the audio configuration identical. That is 41 channels (consisting of 37 audio channels, plus four ambience system feeds) and to clock the remaining AF12 from the RME gear. Indeed, I had previously clocked the four AF12s with some success from my FF400. However, clocking either an Echo AF12 or the Presonus Firebox from the WC out on the M-32DA caused the entire sound to malfunction (collapse is the best word which comes to mind).

So, I spent several hours reconfiguring Hauptwerk to permit a 'pure' RME M-32DA outcome. At the beginning this was the best sound that I have ever had, even with less channels than usual. But, it didn't last. Progressively the sound would get brighter and brighter and channel relativity would change. Turn it all off and start again, and things would be fine, and then the process repeated itself.

In discussions with the very helpful and skilled RME importer, we came to the conclusion that this must be down to buffer induced jitter. I posed the question as to whether it would be a different outcome if I boot camped the MacPRO and installed Vista 64 (which I run the FF400 from, well also with XP32). He wasn't sure. I also then tried different buffer settings in Hauptwerk. Normally they have been set at 1024 frames or 21ms @ 48khz. Resetting to 9ms delivered a more consistent outcome, however, the balance between audio channels altered and the attack was compromised in several channels. Changing to 5ms brought on immediate brightness, changing back to 9ms and it was gone. This process could be repeated. So, it seems that this proved the buffer induced jitter case. Or does it? Is it something else altogether?

Available Haupterk buffer settings:

256 frames

Or, in ms @ 48khz

5/8/11/16/21/24

HDSPe MADI

8 available buffer sizes/latencies:0.7/1.5/3/6/12/23/46/93ms

So, it would seem that the timing differences would never match up even if I moved to Windows? So why did the Audiofires work? Because they weren't constrained by the frame by frame design of MADI? Is MADI the problem here? Or does Hauptwerk need to offer more variations in buffers?

Given that for the few minutes that the 'pure' RME solution functions correctly can be stunning, it would be great if there is a way to make this work for me.

Thanks,

Ian McLean

Re: HDSPe MADI with M-32DA - Buffer Induced Jitter?

You seem to have an unusual (or non-existent) definition of "jitter" here. Varying buffer sizes can not possibly "induce" or have an effect on (the converter's or the MADI card's) jitter at all - and none on channel relations or "brightness" of sound (which is not jitter related). Also, MADI is certainly not an issue, else the M32 and other such devices wouldn't likely work at all in multichannel setups...

The "brightness" at 5 ms may be related to the computer not being up to the task at low latencies, hence channels being dropped or rendering altered inside the software
If the gradual audible effect at higher lantencies is identical, it may be the same thing happening successively after a certain period of time. Please test this with smaller organ projects, and build up gradually.

You did not mention the buffer size set in the HDSP settings (Windows).

The only other explanation for a gradual deterioration would be incorrect clock sync, but that would cause clicks etc., not "brightness".
If the effect you describe is audible, it must be measurable. Please try to record some affected channels to an external device (e.g. with the FF400). Also compare the signal to the headphone output on the card.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

My post was certainly not intended as a "definition". Hence the question mark in the subject heading. The term came out of my discussion today with your distributor.

It is impossible test with smaller projects. Also, it has been working for four years on this computer with Echo and Presonus gear. The organ has been this specification (size) since July 2009.

As mentioned the computer is an Apple MacPRO running MacOS 10.6.7. My question was whether you thought that a change to Windows would help. Obviously not. Thank you, as that would have meant a lot of work on my behalf.

As I related, there have been other issues with this combo., like clocking other manufacturer's audio devices.

No clicks whatsoever, at any buffer level

You obviously think that the problem is in Hauptwerk. Which also worked with the Echo gear. Obviously Hauptwerk and this gear are incompatible for some reason.

Sadly, I see no other option but to uninstall the HDSPe and M-32DA and return it, and instead purchase some replacements for the Echo gear which failed. Thank God the RME gear was on loan!

Regards,

Ian McLean

No, I did not say the problem was Hauptwerk, I suggested it might be the computer. I don't think there is (or can be) an incompatibility with a specific software. Also, I doubt that "incompatibilities" would cause symptoms like the one you describe, esp. with regard to "brightness" (does this refer to virtual registration or a change in sound of each individual note and the overall sound?). A general incompatibility would not likely cause a progressive degradation, but would show up all the time.

Why is it not possible to test smaller projects? I am not suggesting that you generally reduce project size, I was specifically referring to a test... If smaller projects (a nice small country organ rather than one in a cathedral...) run well for a longer period, then that is already an indication of where the problem might be. Also, it would be good to know whether playback with other audio software works without problems.

Please mind that while the difference is not huge, the HDSPe MADI does have more channels than the previous solutions, and all of these cause a certain CPU load under OSX. Your Mac must be a few years old if you've been using the system since at least 2009. Also, you did not mention the buffer sizes you were working under with the Echo devices. A few more details on the system would be helpful.

One thing worth trying might be to move the card to another PCIe slot within the Mac.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by solotibia 2011-11-14 12:44:03)

When you wrote "inside the software" I thought that you were referring to Hauptwerk.

The buffers for the Echo were always set at 1024 frames.

The MacPRO is a four core 2.66Ghz with 22GB RAM. Before writing my last reply, I turned on activity monitor and switched between buffers in Hauptwerk. While there was a lot of CPU use when the buffer switching occurred, when playing, there was very little CPU activity. But, the same outcomes as previously reported.

While I understand your suggestion for testing with smaller instruments. If that did work, then all that would confirm to me is that the RME gear remains the issue, as my main instrument has worked so well for so long on this computer using Echo, and with 10 more channels in use (48 available). Also, to set up any Hauptwerk instrument for mulitchannel use takes up a LOT of time.

Also, because Hauptwerk is very literal in its audio output naming conventions, and as I notice that the naming convention for the HDSPe starts with "Slot 2", so to move it would mean that Hauptwerk would default to two channels and wipe out all of the multi-channel settings (as all of the "slot 2" outputs would no longer exist), and I would have to reconstruct the multi-channel routing manually. I can do it. But why would another slot be any different?

Usually, the easiest way to change audio devices is to have installed what one has had running, and then, move the audio outputs to the new device. Only takes 30 mins. As all of my Echo units at the time of the installation of the RME gear would still work for about 15 mins, that is how I transferred the audio to the RME. Now, that two of the Echo's have failed, I no longer have that option. So, to move to another slot would require starting from scratch once more. Hours.

However, if you strongly believe that another slot could make a difference. I will try this. But why would/could it make a difference?

Regards,

Ian McLean

solotibia wrote:

When you wrote "inside the software" I thought that you were referring to Hauptwerk.

I was indeed. All the phenomena you describe, e.g. the (somewhat unspecific) "brightness", balance changes, attacks missing, etc., can only take place inside the software. The RME card is in no way involved in rendering sounds here, the driver receives a finished (or in this case, apparently unfinished) signal from the software. However, it is the CPU that will allow the software to render the signal. If signal components are missing (e.g. attack), that clearly indicates that the CPU could not complete its task within the set latency time.

While I understand your suggestion for testing with smaller instruments. If that did work, then all that would confirm to me is that the RME gear remains the issue,

On the contrary... A general "incompatibility" between software and RME driver/hardware would likely affect any kind of project. If the problems increase with complexity, that points in a different direction.

as my main instrument has worked so well for so long on this computer using Echo, and with 10 more channels in use (48 available).

The HDSPe MADI has got 64 channels, all of which are active in Core Audio, regardless of how many you use.

But why would another slot be any different?

Because that is sometimes simply the case... You'd have to ask Apple for details.
Changing slots often makes mysterious issues go away.
Would slot 2 be the one next to graphics here? What kind of graphics adapter are you using?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by solotibia 2011-11-14 15:31:44)

O.K. now I understand where you're coming from with regard to "inside the software". Also that there are one third more channels active (64 vs. 48) over that which I had working before.

So, does (can?) a PCIe slot device like the HDSPe MADI place more processing overheard on the computer than a firewire device? I had assumed the reverse before this experience. Of course as a Windows user I remember well PCI conflicts etc. (but on my one remaining PC DAW I have not had any such problems for some time). But, if one of the four CPUs is falling apart under the load (or conflict) why doesn't it show up in Activity Monitor and/or Hauptwerk's own CPU indicators?

Would I do better to run Windows on this MacPRO if the RME were to work correctly? Would any Slot-2 issues go away with a change to Windows? Is the issue MacOS or the hardware design? And, if so which version of Windows would you recommend? Especially as your distributor suggested that I backtrack to 10.6.7 due to the changes which Apple have made to Core Audio. And, that they have made things worse with Lion. Of course, who is say that Microsoft will not do the same thing down the track?

Now I also understand why you suggested the smaller organ. But if there can be no incompatibility, surely, if the issue is load due to active channels, then even a smaller organ would have the same CPU load?

Slot-2 is a double space away from the video. However, it is the first PCIe slot above the NVidia GeForce7300GT video card which is in Slot-1. Which slot would recommend instead? Any other?

Regards,

Ian McLean

solotibia wrote:

So, does (can?) a PCIe slot device like the HDSPe MADI place more processing overheard on the computer than a firewire device?

It's not the device, it's the audio channels in Core Audio that do cause a certain load - insignificant mostly, but maybe it just makes that bit of difference.

But, if one of the four CPUs is falling apart under the load (or conflict) why doesn't it show up in Activity Monitor and/or Hauptwerk's own CPU indicators?

Not sure, I admit.

Would I do better to run Windows on this MacPRO if the RME were to work correctly? Would any Slot-2 issues go away with a change to Windows?

You can only try this out, really.

And, if so which version of Windows would you recommend? Especially as your distributor suggested that I backtrack to 10.6.7 due to the changes which Apple have made to Core Audio. And, that they have made things worse with Lion.

With the latest HDSP drivers, which now support Lion (to be uplopaded officially quite soon), there is no kinown problem. I am not aware of Lion issues with audio performance as such.

Of course, who is say that Microsoft will not do the same thing down the track?

On the PC, most professional audio software uses ASIO drivers, which do not come from Microsoft...

Now I also understand why you suggested the smaller organ. But if there can be no incompatibility, surely, if the issue is load due to active channels, then even a smaller organ would have the same CPU load?

No, the main part of the load is from rendering the organ. More pipes, more CPU... Try something smaller and see whether it remains stable for a period.

Slot-2 is a double space away from the video. However, it is the first PCIe slot above the NVidia GeForce7300GT video card which is in Slot-1. Which slot would recommend instead? Any other?

Which "video" are you referring to? I was referring to the graphics card, and I would just try any other slot. Maybe you can save the old setup in case you need to go back.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

I am missing a basic information in this thread. The firmware version of the MADI card is? The driver version that you use is?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Now in Slot-3, same outcome as before. Except that MIDI remote can't find the M-32DA.

Driver is 2.77. Firmware? Is that the number after the serial#? If so that number is 25.

What exactly does "can't find" refer to? Which MIDI device have you selected?

The latest firmware is 29, please download and install: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_wdm_dspe.zip (for Windows)

Also, have you tested that small country organ...? cool
http://www.tilsheadvillage.com/images/TC01/TC01-010.jpg

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME MIDI remote can't find the M-32DA. That download is an exe file. I can't run exe files in MacOS.

The creator of Hauptwerk believes that the outcomes that I am having could be down to MIDI being overloaded due to the RME drivers - "the problem could conceivably be due to a MIDI issue (e.g. some notes getting triggered twice very rapidly in succession, as an indirect result of some other hardware/performance issue)." Could the HDSPe MADI MIDI plug-in be the problem?

I notice here http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewt … mp;t=47209 that some MIDI plug-ins can really screw up the world. Given Hauptwerk's MIDI centric operation it seems plausible.

What would happen if I deleted the HDSPe MADI MIDI plug-in?

Regards,

Ian McLean

solotibia wrote:

RME MIDI remote can't find the M-32DA.

Please be more specific.

That download is an exe file. I can't run exe files in MacOS.

That's why I added that it is for WIndows. Since you have the card installed on Windows, you can run the update there.

The creator of Hauptwerk believes that the outcomes that I am having could be down to MIDI being overloaded due to the RME drivers - "the problem could conceivably be due to a MIDI issue (e.g. some notes getting triggered twice very rapidly in succession, as an indirect result of some other hardware/performance issue)." Could the HDSPe MADI MIDI plug-in be the problem?

I doubt that, but of course you could try another MIDI I/O.

But that would not quite explain the phenomena you have described (although e.g. in the case of the "brightness", not very precisely yet). I don't see how attacks could be affected.
Also, does it make a difference whether you play Allegro or Adagio...?
Please test projects of varying complexity and report back.

I notice here http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewt … mp;t=47209 that some MIDI plug-ins can really screw up the world. Given Hauptwerk's MIDI centric operation it seems plausible.

I don't quite see how this relates to the performance issue apparently at hand here.

What would happen if I deleted the HDSPe MADI MIDI plug-in?

You'd have to use some other MIDI device.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MIDI Remote said "no response".

The joys of email! The HDSPe MADI card is in a MacPRO running MacOS 10.6.7.

Deleting the MIDI plug-in and MIDI remote had a positive impact on the outcome. So, I am convinced that the problem is in the RME drivers. Also not being able to update the firmware on a Mac is a real issue for me. Consequently, I have uninstalled and removed the RME gear and will return it. It might sound stunning, but nothing is worth this level of aggravation.

I am still very happy with my FF400.

Many thanks for your time and assistance.

Regards,

Ian McLean

I have no reason to assume there is a general driver issue here, given the lack of tests performed with various types of projects. Also, you did not specify in which way deleting MIDI had a positive effect.

I would offer to have a look at the system remotely if you decide to give it another try.

Firmware version 29 will have no positive influence here, but we'd need to be sure it is 25 at least. Is the MADI card installed with the expansion board or without?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have replied separately to your private email. So, yes, I am happy for you to interrogate my system remotely. I have agreed with the distributor to give the gear another go, so I shall unpack, and re-install tomorrow, subject only to any outcomes from his discussions with Matthias.

Given that your website states that firmware version 29 is only for Windows, and 25 is the most current for MacOS, I have no doubt that 29 would make no "positive difference" to my Mac!

The MADI card was installed without the expansion card, as per the installation instructions.

FW below 25 did have a MIDI performance issue in the absence of the expansion. Please double-check the FW version. Also, please do test the setup with the expansion connected. If there is not enough space in the computer, you don't need to fix the expansion. Just have it connected and place it safely.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

If this is the problem, why on earth do your instructions state "Note: If neither word clock I/O nor MIDI I/O is required, it is not necessary to install the Expansion Board at all." As I wrote earlier, when last installed it did state Rev 25.

If this turns out to be the solution when I get around to re-installing, I shall be both delighted, and totally pissed off at the same time!

Regards,

Ian

If your FW is 25, this should not be the problem. There is no general issue here. Of course, the statement in the manual holds true in principle - but that does not rule out the existence of bugs entirely. The phenomenon happening with FW below 25 was indeed a bug, nothing else. If in your case connecting the expansion board solves the problem, then we will have to look at this again.

Please test and report back.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sure enough! This was the problem! No "phenomenon" it was so flaky it was unusable! "No general issue"! Ha!

It seems that your technical writers are either out of the loop, or overworked, or both. Maybe this is not an issue in Windows, for it sure as hell remains an issue for MacOS. Your downloadable manual for the HDSPe MADI needs updating, immediately.

So, far I have enjoyed 4 hours without a hiccup. Not one. Oh! Joy! The sound is exceptional! Even adding one Echo AF12 to the config clocked by the RME gear did not upset (last time it brought everything to its knees).

The most incredible thing is that whatever this did, that it could also compromise Hauptwerk's direct-to-disk output. That is a first IME!

Finally, thank you for at least asking the question about the expansion board. Otherwise, we would still be going around in circles! What an absolute waste of 3 weeks!

I shall leave it all running for several more hours, just to be sure, to be sure (as the Irish might say).

Regards,

Ian

Good news... Although it's not the manual that needs updating, but apparently the card's firmware... I will forward this. Unfortunately, I don't have HW to test this, but that might not be required.

I'm not surprised about the direct to disk being affected, considering that this is a MIDI issue. It might not show up with smaller projects.

"Just to be sure", you could run the latest updater and see what it reports ("up to date" or "not updated"): https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_mac_dspe.zip

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ran the updater and it returned "up to date". Rev 25.

While I've got your attention. Currently I am using the TRS servo balanced outputs. Would the real balanced outputs (DB25) sound better?

Regards,

Ian

Ok, thanks.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just re-read your reply agin. Just to be crystal clear, Hauptwerk was not using the MADI card's MIDI. MIDI function was, and is, provided by an Edirol UM-880.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well, there has been a five days of bliss, and now the problem which occurred before the expansion card was installed, has returned. This time with the expansion card installed! However, after a few reboots of everything to try and get things back to normal, I noticed that there are no LED lights on the expansion board. I thought that the green LED was always on. Is that correct? If so could the expansion board have died?

Not happy.

Regards,

Ian

I have returned the gear to your distributor.

Regards,

Ian

We could have asked Steve to supply another MADI card for a test... Apparently, the expansion board has lost its connection for some reason, bringing the card back to the state without.
Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce a MIDI related issue with FW 25.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I turned on the MacPRO last night, and, for the first time ever, it gave me a flashing on light and would not start. Some googling on another computer turned up that this indicated a RAM problem. Sure enough open up the MacPRO and there is a red light on memory Riser A. So, I reseat the RAM on that riser, and the thing restarts. Then, I connect up all of the Echo gear (so quick to write, so long to achieve), and guess what? Same problem as the RME! This was also a first.

So, I then get out the TechTools (comes with AppleCare) and it tells me that where this is RAM is installed, that, as far as it is concerned, some of these locations are "empty"! I then proceed to swap out RAM gradually, and several hours later I am now down to 16GB (from 22GB) and now, the Echos are working correctly.

I have asked Steve to check the MADI card while he has it. As there could easily be more than one issue at play here. This gear could end up be being well travelled!

Regards,

Ian

Yesterday I had a sudden case of spontaneous reboots when using my DAW. My ext. synths gave midi errors at that moment so I suspected something midi related, but......drum roll..........A tie rap was trapped in the fan of the power supply and it was the overheating protection that kicked in. Luckily I thought of the power supply after only half an hour if trying software issues and drivers.
Just thought I´d share.
Good luck with your machine!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Many thanks! So far, I continue to have stability with the Echos. With the HDSPe MADI firmware/expansion board issue understood, and with the RAM issue resolved, hopefully when the RME gear returns, bliss will return!? Permanently!

Cheers,

Ian

Hope so... If you still have problems without the expansion, we will examine that again... There shouldn't be an issue with FW 25. Do keep us informed.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I thought that I had posted this before.........we have some concerns about the M-32DA WC out driving a single Echo Audiofire 12 WC in. The Echos WC BNC connectors are not galvanically isolated from AC or audio ground. However, previously I was successfully running four Echo AF12s with the WC from a FF400 (via BNC T-bars). Your opinion? I would like to run one M-32DA with one Echo AF12.

Cheers,

Ian

Received the gear back from the distributor. Installed it. Sounds fantastic but any large amount of MIDI traffic causes it to malfunction, with, or without the expansion card. The distributor installed firmware Rev 29 on the MADI card, which I was unable to do on my Mac (your downloads limit the Mac to Rev 25). Should I change the firmware back to Rev 25?

Four Echo AF12s functioned without mishap for a week, right up until the changeover today. Same everything.

Cheers,

Ian

Rebooted and everything has been fine for 4 hours so far. Here's hoping that this stretches into days!

Cheers,

Ian

There should be no difference between 25 and 29 that way. If the problem returns, please contact me by mail.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME