1 (edited by Verbolo 2007-12-16 00:27:10)

Topic: FF800 total mix help requested

Hello,

I am having a difficult time understanding how my rme fireface 800 controls the volume output of my imac 24".  I am a hardware guy trying to swim in a software world.

Is there someone that would be willing to help me understand a couple things?

I have the FF800 connected to my imac via the firewire 800 cable. I have Dynaudio powered monitors connected to the 1/4" outputs of the fireface 800 (7+8).  I purchased a mackie control universal pro interface to use with Logic Pro and to add a master volume control for the imac (itunes, garageband etc).  I have the mcu connected to the FF800 via midi.  The mcu midi out port two is connected to the midi in on the FF800.

I guess I don't understand how to setup the patchbay in the fireface software. I have read the manual and it is pretty difficult to understand, at least for me.  It is not 100% clear to me yet.

What I'd like to be able to do is control the system volume of the imac with the mcu master fader. 

On page 81 of the rme manual it says: " TotalMix also supports the 9th fader of the mackie control. This fader (labeled master) will control the stereo output faders(lowest row) which are set up as Main Monitor outputs in the monitor panel. Always and only.

This is what I want to do but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: FF800 total mix help requested

I *think* I get where you're coming from.
In the total mix window, have you selected 7&8 as your main monitor outputs (little checkbox on the right hand side of the screen)

Have you got any midi control of totalmix working yet?

Do you have audio from your mac passing through total mix yet at all? (set up in the macs audio prefs)

While I don't use the mackie control, it should be easy enough to run you through this.

Cheers, Brendan.

3 (edited by Verbolo 2007-12-16 04:00:23)

Thank you for your reply. 

I have audio passing through the FF800 but only through the headphones.

Have you got any midi control of totalmix working yet?...
I can control the fader movement of the mackie mcu when I move the faders in total mix.  I cannot do the reverse.  The mackie fader's do not control the volume of the audio in the headphones.

I am thinking I may have the midi connected wrong...?

Right now I have port two on the mackie midi output connected to the FF800 midi input.  Isn't this correct?

I have been trying different options and pretty much confusing myself further! 

I should start with the basics...TOTAL MIX: 
The input section on the top of total mix is for what?  I would think this is where I would be able to monitor the A/D converters of whatever I have plugged into the FF800.  Since I have nothing connected to the inputs of the FF800, I should not have to worry about this section at the moment.

The middle section is the playback.  Not too sure on why this is here.

The bottom section is the output.  This is where I should be able to see my output D/A correct?

I feel like a dolt but I am honestly confused and I am not typically this dense I promise.ed:

Ok.  So task 1 is routing in total mix, task 2 is midi setup.

The basic concept of total mix is that you can route any audio signal from the top two rows into any of the outputs in the bottom row. 

So to get audio to route through outputs 7&8, select the channels that carry the audio from the mac, and increase the level of these to 0dB.  Make sure they are panned L&R.  Then, select outputs 7&8, and moving it up and down you should now have the effect of a volume fader on the mac (or DAW) audio.

To get the mackie control to work, make sure that you have channels 7&8 selected as your main monitor outputs.

Make sure the midi out of ff800 goes to midi in of mackie control, and the midi out (1) goes back into ff800 midi in.  This same midi signal can be picked up inside logic by selecting the ff800 midi ports as the ports used by your controller. 

Then its a simple task of asigning that midi source inside total mix.  If you can't work it out, I'll walk you through it step by step when I get back to my studio tomorrow.

Cheers, Brendan.

I have nothing connected to the inputs of the ff800.  The firewire is carrying the audio output from the mac.  Do I need to set this input up in total mix?

Right now I have audio passing through the ff800. I have the first two faders in the playback row set to AN 7+8.  On the bottom row I have the AN7 and AN8 faders linked.  They are my volume control.

Now I believe all I have to do is connect the mackie to the ff800 and get the midi working so I can control the volume with the master fader of the mackie.

I would think to connect the midi out of the mackie to the midi input on the ff800.  Am I incorrect?

Ok I got it figured out finally.

I did as I mentioned above and then connected the midi out of the mackie to the midi input of the ff800 and then connected the midi out of the ff800 to the midi in of the mackie.

Now I have a master volume!

Thanks for the help.  Where would I be without internet forums, I love it.

Thanks again.

i cant even do that. im pretty much staring at my mcu pro. tried all the modes to no avail. i have set up midi i/o in settings aswell. still cant get the mackie pro to work with it >:|

it works fine with pro tools and logic, just not totalmix!

also, is it possible to assign the master fader to totalmix monitor out (7 and 8 for example) when using protools? the master fader would be useful for control room level, as protools doesnt use the master fader on the mcu pro