Topic: questions for the RME products

My name is Stefanos Babis, I am a sound engineer and i,m developing my FOH-RECORDING system?:

*    Mac Pro   2x 2.8 GHz  Quad-Core Intel Xeon. 4 GB RAM
    *    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    *    Logic 9

My plan is to built a 24ch mic-in  FOH-RECORDING system at the beginning and then expand to 48 ch mic-in. The audio interface sould includes the mic preamps.

I want your suggestion for the RME products.Can i put more than 3 Octamic II together and have a 48 mic preamp interface?
What about the synchronisation of them. What psi card should i buy to support 24ch and then 48ch input and at least 2mono line out?Is it possible to record and play the foh at the same time, changing pluggins with safety etc?

Thank you very much.! I hope to have news from you soon

Re: questions for the RME products

Hi Stefanos,

I want your suggestion for the RME products.Can i put more than 3 Octamic II together and have a 48 mic preamp interface?
What about the synchronization of them. What psi card should i buy to support 24ch and then 48ch input and at least 2mono line out?

I would suggest a MADI based setup if you want the 48 + channel expansion.
The audio interface would be the RME HDSPe MADI PCI-e card.

Depending on your budget here are 2 combinations I would suggest.

# 1

1x RME HDSPe- PCI-e card
1x RME ADI648 ADAT/MADI format converter
3x RME Octamic II
1x ADI-8 DS 8 ch AD/DA
(You will need word clock to sync this configuration)

# 2

1x RME HDSPe- PCI-e card
1x RME ADI648 ADAT/MADI format converter
3x RME Micstasy MIc Pre amps
1x ADI-8 QS 8 ch AD/DA
(This can all be synced via MADI)

The second option is something you can upgrade to piece by piece over time. In either setup you can add upto 64 channels of I/O in groups of 8.

Is it possible to record and play the foh at the same time, changing pluggins with safety etc?

It is possible but you really need to test your mixing template thoroughly. I have never used Logic for this type living mixing setup. Not sure how well it will do with live effects processing while recording. You should keep the effects to a minimum and you have zero need to have any fancy high end effects live show. I would only use only the effects that use the lowest possible CPU power.
You will NOT be able to add and remove plugins live. You will depending on the plugin be able to adjust plugin parameters.
I know of a bunch of people using Cubase and Nuendo for doing this on PCs and using them in combination with Yamaha, DigiCo and Allen & Heath consoles.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas