1 (edited by anttipi 2011-12-06 03:04:37)

Topic: HDSP 9632 PCI 2.0 compliant or not?

I'd like to know if the HDSP 9632 PCI card is 2.0 compliant or not?

Some newer motherboards don't have PCI slots anymore. From what I understand, if the PCI card is not 2.0 compliant it's unusable in the newer boards.

Re: HDSP 9632 PCI 2.0 compliant or not?

No PCI means no PCI, no matter what version. Newer boards have PCI Express slots, and obviously the old PCI cards do not work in those completely different slots.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by anttipi 2011-12-08 15:03:05)

Thanks for your reply, MC!

Just a couple more questions if I may:

1) I think I'll need to upgrade to AIO then. Does AIO work in both PCIe and PCIe 2.0 motherboards? The newer boards have PCIe 2.0. 

2) I have a graphics card in the x16 slot, any possible conflict with that? Does it matter if you stick the AIO in a x1, x4, x8 or x16 slot?

I've been doing a fair bit of research recently but I'm still confused. I'll be upgrading to an Ivy Bridge CPU + mobo next spring so the soundcard has to be compliant. I know native PCI isn't supported anymore from Sandy Bridge onwards so I might just as well switch to a PCIe soundcard right now. And I want to stay with RME because I've been very happy with my 9632 (and I could use the same breakout cable). :-)

1) It will work.
2) Doesn't matter.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by anttipi 2011-12-08 18:59:09)

Edit: OK, I just Googled that all PCIe hardware can be used in PCIe 3.0 too.

BTW, what is the current situation regarding RME PCI cards' compatibility with Sandy Bridge? AFAIK, everything but the Madi worked to begin with, then there were issues after a Sandy Bridge chipset FW update, then supposedly everything was fine once again? I'm worried about latency/distortion/glitches with bridged PCI. I *think* the X79 has native PCI support but it seems impossible to find out for sure.

A german computer magazine states that out of current Intel chipsets, only Q67 and B65 do have a native PCI implementation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Has any body tried out an external PCIe expansion box solution for compatibility?

They are connected to the computer via a PCIe slot adapter or express card and allow for up to four PCI cards or fewer PCIe cards to be connected whilst housed externally. I have a HDSP 9632 that I would like to recycle this way.

Here is a link to a supplier of these expansion box solutions (disclaimer- I have no connection).

http://www.pcieexpansionbox.com/shop/?sl=EN

The NetStor NA210A-L box datasheet claims compatibility with the RME HDSPe versions of the MADI, AIO, AES, RayDat and could be a fast and powerful option for a laptop with an express card slot.

For older PCI cards one full HDSP Madi, AES-32, 9652, 9632 etc. setup with expansion cards/word clock would fit nicely in one box.

Even if I upgrade to PCIe it would still be nice to keep the HDSP PCI setup as a backstop/second/portable interface for both PCs and laptops.

If anyone at RME or a forum member has seen something like this working I'd like to know.

Thanks.

I found a new Asus Mobo with new X79 chipset with 1 PCI slot,  the "P9X79".... is posible to use RME 9632 PCI card in this motherboard without problems?

Asus P9X79 PCI Slot