Topic: DURec to FAT32 to OSX (with a stopover at Win7x64) corrupting in PT9

Sorry for the terrible title to this thread.  This problem is so weird I couldn't think of a better way to describe it.  I'm not even certain it has anything specific to do with the UFX other than the fact that it must record to FAT32. 

This was discovered after several instances over several recordings with the UFX, a PC (win7x64) and a Mac (snow leapord).  This particular problem kept coming up and I finally got the chance to try and narrow it down. 

It seems that when a FAT32 drive is formatted by a Mac into the necessary (master boot record) style partition it can be connected to the UFX to record.  The drive can again be connected to a Mac running PT9 and the multichannel interleaved file (as long as it is an even number of channels) can be dragged directly into the desired number of tracks without issue. 

If the FAT32 drive is plugged into a Win7x64 machine in between the UFX recording and the Mac running PT9 then this all changes.  When the FAT32 drive is connected to the Mac it will be recognized and the file can still be dragged into PT9 but the audio will be horrible full-scale noise on all tracks (I have verified this several times over with recorded silence).  Even running the files through the RME wave splitter tool going to mono files doesn't fix this.  The oddest part is that I could find no other Mac audio program that exhibited this problem.  Logic, Reaper, Quicktime, they all opened the multichannel file just fine. 

My hunch is that the file header/info gets changed in some subtle way when accessed by the Win7x64 machine so that PT9 doesn't interpret it correctly.  I have further reinforced this hunch by finding that making some minor change to one of these distorting files and re-saving it allows PT9 to properly recognize it and open it again.  Has anyone else observed this?

I guess my hope is that RME could alter the way this data chunk (header/info...I don't really know what I'm talking about specifically) so that it's robust enough to satisfy PT9.  I know it's not really the fault of RME as is borne out by the number of other audio programs that have no problem but when it comes to PT it's difficult to tell them or anyone who uses them that there's something wrong with their program.

Thanks for your time.

Re: DURec to FAT32 to OSX (with a stopover at Win7x64) corrupting in PT9

Have you tested this with a drive that has been formatted on a PC? It is not a necessity to format on a Mac.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: DURec to FAT32 to OSX (with a stopover at Win7x64) corrupting in PT9

RME Support wrote:

Have you tested this with a drive that has been formatted on a PC? It is not a necessity to format on a Mac.

Thanks for your interest Daniel.

Yes, I have tried with a PC formatted FAT32 but the result is the same.  I cannot get anything but a very fussy Mac only formatted FAT32 procedure to work (no full-scale noise) with that OSX/PT9 combination.

I have not been able to test if PT9 on a PC has a similar problem but I'm assuming that it probably doesn't.  Can anyone replicate my problem?