Topic: How to connect ADI-8 QS to RME UFX

Hello,

I need more outputs from my Fireface UFX and was looking at getting an ADI-8 QS. I was wondering hypothetically would I be able to use a Universal Audio 4-710d then another Universal Audio 4-710d plugged into the four line ins of the first Universal Audio 4-710d then a Focusrite ISA828. Both of these units would be running through the ADAT INPUT of the RME UFX.

Then the ADAT OUTs going to the ADAT INPUTS of the ADI-8 QS.

So 2 devices IN the ADAT and one device on the OUTPUT.

Or is this not possible. As you can see I know very little about ADAT and how to connect them.

Also how would these inputs and outputs show up in TotalMix FX.

Thanks for your time and for reading this,
I look forward to answering questions rather than asking them.

Take care,
kennesson

Re: How to connect ADI-8 QS to RME UFX

I've done some reading and I think to get the ADI-8 QS to go into the RME UFX and be able to access the INPUTS and OUTPUTS you would need to connect the ADAT ins and outs together.

Also the Universal Audio 4-710d has AES/EBU output so I could output that to the ADI-8 QS' AES/EBU input.

Now I'm wondering if I will be able to access the AES/EBU ins and outs on the ADI-QS from the RME UFX

take care,
kennesson

If I understand you, your initial post will work fine assuming you sync everything properly, but you won't be using any of the ADI-8's Analog Inputs for anything (seems like a very expensive waste of cash).

I don't believe the ADI-8 will "cross convert" AES to ADAT and act as an AD/DA converter simultaneously (one or the other IIRC) - I'd just focus on the ADI's ADAT connections into your UFX for now...

I'd ponder scrapping the ISA828 for straight-up analog preamps of your choice (mix and match a bunch of 1-2 channel preamps for variety, or whatever), and feed those in to the ADI-8's analog inputs for conversion (the ADI-8 will likely spank the AD card on the ISA828 to boot!).  You could also feed the ISA828's Analog Outs into the ADI-8 (and forget about the ISA's internal AD card - but then you paid for it as well!).

I prefer to keep my AD/DA conversion separate from my Preamps and DAW audio interface (HDSPe MADI and Digiface setups with external converters and external preamps/compressors) - but that's me...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I agree with you about keeping the stuff seperate but what I'm really trying to do is get at least 8 more mic ins for drums and maybe a few others for vocals. Then I would like a bunch of outputs for my aviom monitor setup which can take 16 inputs.

anyway thanks for your reply. It was very helpful

I'm also trying to maximize my ins and outs to accommodate more stuff and for future expansion. If anyone has anymore ideas please reply

thanks,
kennesson