Topic: Routing External Hardware Fx Unit back to Rme FF400 Problems :( Help

Well,
I might be doing something wrong on the routing...but this was cracking my head all day long across the studio.

I owe some moogs and nord leads, and the midi/audio connection is quite simple to the rme plus functions on ableton live (aswell as in logic).

My issue here is all about using the external audio effects plugin on ableton live 8.

Its my first time using an external hardware for fxs, and ive chosen the thermionic culture vulture.

Here's how all the setup (in this case) is connected:

Rme output 1/2- to monitors (main output)
Rme output 2/3 - to thermionic culture vulture inputs 1/2

Thermionic outputs 1/2 - to rme inputs 7/8. (as the others are already in use)

Well...it all appears to make sense so far! One is sending, the other is returning...

From now on my headblow starts!

I would like to use the thermionic as a kind of "vst fx" plugin, so i could use it on a single track,bus or in the master bus, depending on my desires.

I didnt got so far if the problem is on my rme ff400 virtual mixer (in which i cannot see any signal from the thermionic inputed on the rme) or if is anything skipping me on ableton live.

Ive googled but all I can find is the connection "send/return" type...nothing talking about the external audio effect vst they have build in as they have for external audio instruments.

Where my problem is in this case?
Connections? Doesnt seem so...

Rme virtual mixer? I would bet on this one! As I see signal from the outputed 3/4 to the external hardware, but get no signal in the Rme Fireface Mixer from the supposed input 7/8

Ableton live external fx plug? Im totally out from it has ive never tried it before, but it would make some sense to follow the connection order and thats it.

I dunno if im asking something dumb or if i am too tired...but i definitely need help on connecting this as if it was a vst i could import to anywhere id want in the ableton daw.

Help, i need somebody....help big_smile

Thanks in advance
www.pedrogoya.com

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

Re: Routing External Hardware Fx Unit back to Rme FF400 Problems :( Help

Don't mind, this can get tricky in the first place but is dead simple. At least it is in Cubase which also features 'external FX' to get hardware implemented in plugin style.

You say you get signal from outs 3/4 to the hardware. Ok. Hardware outs are connected to in 7/8. Ok. 

<<< Here's your job to make the right connections in Live, so that Live knows that the hardware returns are coming from ins 7/8 - I have no idea how this works in Live as I didn't ever use it. In Cubase it's done via the VST connection window. >>>

If 7/8 are defined as fx-returns in Live you should get the return signal there. Check Total Mix now, activate submix view if you haven't done so already. Make sure in 7/8 do not also feed into Out 1/2 in the bottom output row (you'd hear the hardware returns from Live plus the same signal in addition directly routed from In 7/8 to Out 1/2 where your monitors are connected).

Hope this helps!

Hey marQs,

Really appreciated your answer. Thank you a lot!

Actually, the issue was on 2 sides.
First of all I found out that my input 7/8 (the 7 was doing some connection malfunction, reason why I wasn't getting any signal at all).
When changed the input channels, just had to go to the Matrix and turn on both (output channel / input channel).
It was a pain in the ass, but all is working perfectly now.

I knew how to did it in Logic, but Ableton has the same Vst "drag" for external instruments/effects.

It's working big_smile

Thank you!

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

Now I can use it in a bus for "Send/Return Fx" or to affect an whole track or master bus. Perfect!
More one day...and I was about to DeadHorse kill all the studio and burn all the cables!

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

Great you sorted it without any damage lol