1 (edited by EUT_HK 2011-06-03 10:31:52)

Topic: Problem with Dual to Single Wire AES Conversion in ADI-192 DD

I am running my ADI-192 DD for some time now and so far have been quite happy with it. Very recently I tried to convert a 176.4kHz audio signal coming into the ADI-192 DD on dual wire AES from my word clock (Brainstorm DCD-8) into a single wire 176.4kHz AES out. Lo and behold the tune that played through the ADI-192 DD came out with the main voice missing or at least so recessed that it was hardly recognizable.
I think I got the settings all right - one never knows - and as proof I disconnected first one AES input cable and then the other. Each time the full information of the respective channel was reproduced at the output, but in an effort to combine both channels the ADI-192 failed me.
Anybody got any idea what is wrong? I am grateful for some hints

Re: Problem with Dual to Single Wire AES Conversion in ADI-192 DD

You might have swapped source 1 and 2, then the resulting combined waveform includes errors.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by EUT_HK 2011-06-03 15:59:38)

Many thanks Matthias for your reply. I will have to check this when I am in front of my equipment, but I am pretty sure that the AES 1 and 2 OUT on my DCD-8 correspond to AES 1 and 2 IN on my ADI-192 DD. During the various attempts to get to the bottom of this I tried various AES IN combinations on the ADI-192 without any noticeable results.

OK, I have checked and the source wires are OK. My input monitor shows DS State and Sync and Level 1 and 2 green. Still the output is emphasizing only one of the two channels.

It appears I have found the reason for the 174.6 output sound problem: I had AES OUT 4 connected to my RDL UDC1 digital audio converter; once this cable was removed there was no problem any more with both channels being reproduced correctly and the full sound came to the only cable left in AES OUT 1. I just wish the ADI-192 DD manual could emphasize such limitations better.

6 (edited by EUT_HK 2011-12-16 10:09:04)

After having struggled with the single AES output in the ADI-192DD I am facing a new challenge, for which I would really appreciate getting some help.
I put a new DAC in my system and after reconnecting it to the ADI-192DD it seems I cannot convert dual wire AES 192kHz to single wire AES 192 kHz any longer.
The DAC receives a signal, as shown in its signal receiving indicator, but there is no sound. I was wondering if the signal going out from the ADI-192DD may be too weak.
I have a dual wire AES 192kHz sound input into the ADI-192DD with 96kHz on each AES connection. The input shows as DS with green lights for synch and level on inputs 2 and 3. I am using an external word clock input with Follow Clock that correctly show the QS LED. AES OUTPUT SOURCE is set to AES and STATE is PRC with QW and DW unlit. No sound comes out from the ADI to my DAC, though the DAC shows an incoming signal. Once I switch to DW I have sound arriving at my DAC, albeit only at 96kHz, meaning only one of the 96kHz AES inputs gets put out. The DAC is OK, as it plays perfectly well any 192kHz incoming sound from other sources. What am I doing wrong?
Any assistance is much appreciated

I'm giving up on RME, no support for over two weeks despite e-mails to support and forum postings, and the ADI-192DD simply does not do what it's upposed to, converting dual wire AES 192 to single wire AES 192. I bought a dCS DAC with dual AES input, which allows me to skip the conversion stage. Should have saved my money in first place.