Topic: Babyface recording

Hey.

I just bought a Shure SM57. I have tested real quick, with the XLR cable connected to the breakout/"Line in L" - the signal was very weak in Totalmix/"AN 1".
Can you guys tell me what's the best solution for recording with my SM57 ?? - And how Totalmix setting must be set.

And a real noob question - where is the record button ?? big_smile

Thx
Regards.

Re: Babyface recording

Jav, you will need to set the input gain on the SM57 channel (AN1) for proper volume level.

There is no "Record" button in TM. You activate record function in your DAW.

Ah, never went over +4 for input with a SM58(vu meter up all the way to zero - double left click then up to +6db if you need it, and then open it up in TotalMixFX for the channel and gain goes up with the circular knob up to +60).
Have a pre-amp or studio channel with it's output and never go over zero dB.

Maybe mic cord is bad??

Is this the best solution for recording ? I use only the left input - I don't need to use the right input in some way ? Or the SPDIF if I can get a converter ?
Does DAW stand for "digital audio workstation" ? Is that a software I need to install, so I can record ? smile

If you mean mic XRL cable, I don't think so - it's brand new.

Here is a SS if that can help in anyway.
http://billedeupload.dk/upload/files/2011-12/7f8ddc85.jpg

Btw, really appriciate it smile

Click the wrench icon next to your AN 1 fader at the top left. You will find a knob for preamp gain control.

Yes, you'll need a recording software, there are plenty of choices.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Very likely, you haven't raised the preamp gain of the AN1 channel. Just click on the small icon that looks like a wrench, and you'll see the gain knob.

TotalMix is not a recording software. It is "signal routing" software, in other words, "digital mixer" that determines the signal paths to the recording software, such as Cubase, Pro Tools, Sonar, Logic, Reaper, Digital Performer, or Studio One (often called DAW - digital audio workstation software).

I need to say, it was a bold move to buy Babyface without knowing what is DAW, but everybody starts somewhere, so I don't blame you. Babyface is a fantastic choice. Read manuals, learn, play, and enjoy!

Thank you all. You guys are the best wink