Topic: FF800 SPDIF to SSL Nucleus

I ned to connect my SSL Nucleus to my FF800 via SPDIF. the Nucleus has optical SPDIF and I have M-Audio CO2 converter to go from the FF800 coax to the optical SPDIF on my Nucleus. I believe that the SPDIF output on the FF800 is 11 and 12. I am running the coax in/out from the FF800 into the CO2 (which is set for bidirectional) and then take the optical outs to the 2 optical SPDIF connections in the Nucleus.

I have the FF800 master output in ProTools 10 I/O setup to go out through outputs 11 & 12. in TotalMix I can see that output is going out SPDIF but the Nucleus doesn't see it. [sigh] In ProTools I have also setup a Nucleus 1 and 2 bus from the SPDIF inputs. I created a new track, chose that input and connected a mic to that but I don't get any input. I opened the SSL Soundcard App and it says that there is no incoming signal.

yes, I have read the FF800 manual on TotalMix and the Matrix and I thought I understood it, but I must be missing something. I have had my FF800 for many years and I love love it, but sometimes this is a bit obtuse for an old man... I would sincerely appreciate some assistance.

thanx

New Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM, Antelope Orion32, ProTools 11, UAD Octo, Tonelux OTB 16, and lots of toys...

Re: FF800 SPDIF to SSL Nucleus

Set the two ADAT 2 ports to SPDIF operation in the FF settings and you won't need the converter...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks Daniel... but I must missing something to get the SPDIF to the outputs? how do I set the Matrix to output SPDIF to ADAT 2?

New Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM, Antelope Orion32, ProTools 11, UAD Octo, Tonelux OTB 16, and lots of toys...

YEE HA - using the SPDIF routed to ADAT2 I have the Nucleus and FF800 communicating with PT 10. I still would like to know, is the Matrix setup any different if I connect it via coax? for some reason it will not work as coax using an M-Audio CO2 coax/optical converter...

I want to know in case I want to use the ADAT2 connection for another mic pre or something.

thanks

trying to figure if my coax to optical converter is functioning correctly. can someone please confirm whether the matrix settings are the same regardless if using ADAT2 for SPDIF or coax?

thanks

nobody...?

Same settings, SPDIF is SPDIF.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

that's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask. thanks...

BTW I am saving up to trade in my FF800 for a UFX. love your stuff.

climber wrote:

I ned to connect my SSL Nucleus to my FF800 via SPDIF. the Nucleus has optical SPDIF and I have M-Audio CO2 converter to go from the FF800 coax to the optical SPDIF on my Nucleus. I believe that the SPDIF output on the FF800 is 11 and 12. I am running the coax in/out from the FF800 into the CO2 (which is set for bidirectional) and then take the optical outs to the 2 optical SPDIF connections in the Nucleus.

I have the FF800 master output in ProTools 10 I/O setup to go out through outputs 11 & 12. in TotalMix I can see that output is going out SPDIF but the Nucleus doesn't see it. [sigh] In ProTools I have also setup a Nucleus 1 and 2 bus from the SPDIF inputs. I created a new track, chose that input and connected a mic to that but I don't get any input. I opened the SSL Soundcard App and it says that there is no incoming signal.

yes, I have read the FF800 manual on TotalMix and the Matrix and I thought I understood it, but I must be missing something. I have had my FF800 for many years and I love love it, but sometimes this is a bit obtuse for an old man... I would sincerely appreciate some assistance.

thanx

Did you, at any point, try using the Nucleus control surface while using the Fireface 800 as your interface? I'm having major difficulties getting the control surface to connect to my DAW while TotalMix/Fireface800 is running.
Its probably something to do with the IP or MIDI settings but I have no idea how to get this to work and there's somehow nothing anywhere online.