Topic: How to set BCF2000 and Fireface UC to work properly with TotalMix FX ?

Hi all,

it worked well with my FF800 but now, with my Fireface UC, it sometimes works only from FF UC to BCF2000 (if I move a fader in the TotalMix FX, it moves on my BCF2000 but not the opposite).

I have to untick "Enable MIDI control" in the TM FX, turn OFF then turn ON the BCF2000 and tick "Enable MIDI control" to have a communication between BCF2000 and TM FX in both ways.

What I usual do :

- turn on my computer
- turn on the BCF2000 (faders reseted)
- turn on the Fireface UC

So faders of BCF2000 match those of TM FX but I can't control them.

It's under Windows 7 x64 (no special drivers for BCF2000 and it's in Steinberg mode "MC C") and last drivers/firmware for UC.

Thanks

Re: How to set BCF2000 and Fireface UC to work properly with TotalMix FX ?

Nobody ?

The BCF 2000 is connected via USB to my computer. The weird thing is sometimes, it works at the 1st try (computer on, BCF on, FF UC on in this order) and sometimes, the fact of untick "Enable MIDI control" etc... as described above doesn't work.

I would like that it works all the time just by powering on devices without a special order.

Sorry to be back again but I use my BCF2000 only to control TM FX so if it doesn't work properly, do I have to sell it ? When it works, it's perfect to control Software Playback. Here, it works randomly (sometimes never) and I can't understand why.

So, any clue from RME would be welcome.

PS : I updated drivers for BCF2000 but no change, same behaviour.

We will have a thorough check for this one. Meanwhile, would it be possible for you to use the MIDI I/O sockets of the BCF instead of the USB port?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I use the 2 MIDI Inputs of my FF UC (one for edrums, one for keyboard) but if you tell me that you're gonna check for this, I can use my mouse waiting for a fix.

Just a reminder cool.

Well, it seems to work all time now. Perhaps since I updated to W7 SP1 but really not sure. Hope it stays like this.

Argh, it worked well until about 10-15 days ago. I don't know if it comes from an update of W7 or with the last version of TM FX (drivers : 1.013, firmware : 115).

The way FF UC -> BCF2000 always works but I have to turn off BCF2000, hit F3 to valid other MIDI IN/OUT than BCF2000 in TM FX (I can see before turning off the BCF2000 that the "2 - BCF2000" ports are selected), click OK, turn ON the BCF2000, hit F3 to choose BCF2000 ports again and this 3 or 4 times before I can control the TM FX. Sometimes, I see in MIDI IN/OUT : "2 - BCF2000A" or "2 - BCF2000?" instead of just "2- BCF2000" but it can work with these.

9 (edited by Manolo 2011-12-01 09:33:56)

As I know it can work at the first time, I bump this thread. It's just incomprehensible that sometimes it works at the first time (from my last post, never), sometimes at the 4th (more or less) but I'm pretty sure it's simple to fix this for someone who knows how the connection between FF UC and BCF 2000 works.

Please RME.

I continue my monologue... I tried with Windows 7 drivers instead of Berhinger drivers but nothing changed fryingpan DeadHorse.

11 (edited by Manolo 2011-12-12 12:11:39)

Hoping RME read this thread :

I tried with the Roland VS-700C (USB) that I use to control Cakewalk Sonar and it works at the first time and even if I change in/out for midi control and back to VS-700C, it always works.

RME, you have really no clue why the connection BCF2000 -> TM FX does not work every time at the 1st time ?

EDIT : once the BCF2000 -> TM FX works, I can change in/out for midi control as for the VS-700C and back to BCF2000 and it works each time.

12 (edited by Manolo 2011-12-14 12:23:01)

I loose the connection in both ways :

- selecting an other output than the Main output
- it works with the other output
- when I choose Main output again, nothing work in both ways but... not all times fryingpan fryingpan

Bump for Manolo! Someone help the poor dude out please - I've been in his place and it sucks.

Free Manolo!

I also had some issues with my BCF2000 connecting to my UFX.  Sounds similar, but not exactly the same, as Manolo's situation.  For unknown reasons, in the Settings panel sometimes the MIDI in or out would change when I rebooted, causing the connection to be partially broken.  It only did this when I first turned the computer on.  Once I had it set up right, it never switched while the computer was running.

For me, I found that turning the UFX on after the computer and BCF2000 seemed to fix the problem.  I see that Manolo already does this, so I don't have any more advice.  Just hope RME can look into it and help the guy out.

15 (edited by Manolo 2011-12-27 21:20:58)

Thanks guys for inputs. I feel less alone cool.

Hope 2012 will bring a fix.

16 (edited by Manolo 2012-01-23 10:18:57)

Well, I don't know if it was intended from RME or not but the last drivers (1.019) seem to fix the problem. The BCF2000 drivers are now in first position in the list of choice instead of last (I don't know it has an influence) and each day (= all days) I started my computer since this drivers, it worked at the first time I powered up BCF2000 and FFUC in this order.

That's COOL and I hope that it doesn't change.

Thanks.

I hope this is my last post on this thread. Unfortunatly, it just works few days and I don't know why it stopped to work BUT I found a workaround that works for the moment :

- turn on BCF2000
- turn on FF UC
- if it works, good for you, if not :

- unplug USB cable at the rear of the BCF2000
- in TotalMix, go to Options -> Settings and you should see in MIDI Remote Control -> MIDI in : Fireface Midi Port 1 and in MIDI out : None. The important thing is that you should not have "BCF2000" in MIDI in or out. Just click "OK".
- plug the USB cable in the BCF2000
- go again in TotalMix and choose BCF2000 for MIDI in and out in MIDI Remote Control

It should work every time.

Manolo, if you are interested you might try the new 0.97 RC1. It includes a reworked MIDI initialising and handling, and maybe (maybe) this also solves the problem that you have for so long time already (sorry for that).

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 45&p=1

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by Manolo 2013-02-09 16:19:13)

Hi MC, I missed this post. I did a google search to find it there were news about this and found my post.

It works for a time but I don't remember if it was because of the 0.97 RC1. I notice that often after a Windows 7 update, the behaviour could change.

Since few months, I have to uncheck "Enable Midi Control", unplugged the BCF2000 (USB, not power), plugged it again and check "Enable Midi Control". It works most of the time. Sometimes, I also have to set the drivers again in Options/Settings/MIDI 1.

Even if it works after this workaround, I can loose the connection BCF2000 -> Totalmix again once without doing anything special. I do the workaround again and it works all the time after this.

A true mystery.

I have a very similar issue to this.  I'm using 3 BCF2000 units on a machine with Win7 64 SP1 and a Fireface 800.  All BCFs are connected via USB. The Fireface MIDI is unused, and I have an Maudio keystation 88 plugged in to this machine via USB.  I'm using the Behringer drivers, but experienced the same with class compliant drivers. 

The issue seems to be the BCFs change the way their names appear to Win7 (or Win7 renames the BCFs) from time to time. 

Correctly enumerated, the BCFs  should appear like this:
BCF2000
2- BCF2000
3- BCF2000

but will unpredictably appear as:
BCF2000
2- BCF2000?
3- BCF2000

(the question mark above can also be a ` symbol)

Alternately, one or more units just won't be there, and the USB light will be off on the corresponding BCF(s).

When this happens, the Behringer virtual LCDs and the DAW I'm using (Sonar 8.5 and PT10) will, of course be unable to find the control surface. 

The fix for this seems to be rebooting the incorrectly enumerated device while Win7 is up and running, and BEFORE launching the DAW (or presumably TotalMix).

My way of working now is to:

1. Boot windows
2. launch one of the Virtual LCD strips, right click it to see if the entries are correct.  If they are, launch DAW.

--if not--

3. close the Virtual LCD strip (important, as rebooting the BCF with the V-LCD open will crash the V-LCD)
4. reboot the offending BCF(s)
5. relaunch the V-LCD, recheck. 
6. Repeat this until all listings are correct.

Unfortunately, moving from Sonar to PT requires a reboot of all the devices to change from MC-S to bhui modes.  This typically will cause the above scenario, and usually requires multiple BCF reboots to solve.  It's an absolute PITA, and I suspect the resolution is just to buy a multiple input MIDI to USB device and run the BCFs in MIDI mode (not sure if that works well or not--does anybody here successfully use BCFs this way?)

For the benefit of folks that might land here via google searches:

Definitely an issue with how the BCF unit(s) enumerate in windows 7.  With XP, this was not an issue.

Since we last spoke, I moved the first of my BCF units from its USB to MIDI via the MIDI I/O on the Fireface.  I used MIDI mode s4 (standalone, which disables the BCF USB).

That solved the issue for the first device totally, and lessened the issue for the remaining two devices.  I've since ordered a MidiSport 2x2 from M-audio to handle the other two BCF units, and feel confident this should rectify the problem entirely, provided the MidiSport can handle the volume of traffic the HUI / MCU emulations kick out.

Behringer tech support (I'm impressed; they actually responded, and kept an open dialog going with me for nearly a month!) seem to have confirmed this issue on their end with multiple BCF units.  They didn't say explicitly that they confirmed it, but did say that they believed the quantity of BCF units were likely causing the problem of the control surfaces being mis-enumerated, and that an external MIDI interface would be the best solution.