1 (edited by Salivan 2011-12-29 19:27:01)

Topic: How to connect a ADI8-DS to a UFX

Hello everyone, so, I'm going to buy a UFX (that is decided), but, for extra channels that I might need someday, I'm whiling also to a buy a ADI8-DS...

My problem is, I don't like to buy things before knowing how to use them... I'm here to ask you to give me a little help on how to connect both units. I already read the manual (found it on the net), but I'm still a bit confused..
I would like to have 20 channels available to use external preamps, 16 of those channels would be TRS inputs and the other 4 would the XLR inputs on the UFX.

My preamps don't have any ADAT output, they are all analog output (xlr), I would connect them to the ADI8-DS via xlr-trs cables, then connect the ADAT main connection on the output side of the unit to the ADAT in on the UFX, and that would give me 20 channels... The ADI should be set this way:
Input level: lo gain (so I can boost the pre amps)
Process: Off
Copy Mode: off, because I'm going to use analog inputs
A/D: Int. Since I'm using analog inputs
Clock: 44.1 or 48 it depends
D/A: Input, since I'm going to use ADAT out
Digital input: doesn't matter, not going to use them...
Combine: Off
Output: -10/+4 (Depeding on how much signal my Preamps are giving)

Is that right ? Or I would need to use the word clock or the aux adat out ? I'm not using the special features (DiTH, BS, DS), I don't think I'm going to need them since the UFX already is a 24 bit interface, and I never record with a rate above 48...

This is just so confunsig for me =X

Thanks already for the help guys!