Topic: Problems with the set up of ADI-2

Hello everyone,
I am new to RME and I just bought the RME ADI-2 to enhance my Stereo System (no studio use whatsoever). However I don't get the thing to work, which I find very strange, because I didn't expect it to be difficult at all.
The ADI-2 is plugged in the socket with lights glowing and everything.
Now I connected it via XLR cables (I chose the output sockets, of course) to my amplifier  (McIntosh MA 6600).
The source I use is my computer it is connected via Toslink to the computer the sound card (Auzentech X-fi Forte)has an optical output this output used to work automatically and when I'm turning on music the optical signal is clearly visible (glowing red).
Now I thought the whole thing must already work if I turned on the amplifier and choose the channel the ADI-2 is plugged into, but for some reason it doesn't work at all I can chance all the settings (naturally I'm choosing Opt as input and I also chose 44.1 kHZ). and it still doesn't play any music.
I now tried out various formats and players on my PC. I usually use ALAC and iTunes but also tried FLAC and mp3 with foobar2000 and VLC media player.
the Output meters on the ADI-never show any movement except for the lights at the bottom glowing weakly for a second, when I change the Khz settings. I also plugged in Headphones in the ADI-2 but it didn't play any sound on the headphones either.
what could be the reason for this? I unplugged any other audio outputs on my computer except for Toslink of course,which  should be working (glowing red, when music is played) and I assume the optical cable can't be broken.
I think I tried out all setting options (there really aren't that many anyways), but it just doesn't play music neither on the amp nor on plugged in headphones.
What do I keep doing wrong? Are there preferences I have set wrong ?
thank you very much for your help and merry christmas

Re: Problems with the set up of ADI-2

You have to make sure the toslink is outputing audio. It always glows red, also when there is no audio. Depending on your audio card, this is done either in windows audio preferences (selecting the digital out) or in the setup utility for your audio card. I´m sure with some patience you will get it to work and be amazed by the audio quality!
Best wishes!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for your help,
I managed to get the whole thing running and as you said it sounds amazing, however the only thing I still have a problem with is setting the Soundcard in the slave mode so I can use the ADI-2 as the master clock. I have a Auzentech x-fi forte 7.1 I can neither find it in the Creativ control panel nor in the Windows sound settings. But the Soundcard should definately have the feature!
Does anyone have an idea in which menu I can set the soundcard to just pass through the signal and be in slave mode? Right now I get the SPDIF out indicated in windows sound setting but I have to chose a clocking rate for the output-signal
Thanks very much

In any case you should use a second digital cable from the adi to the xfi to send the clcok from adi. Then the clock on the xfi should be set to either external or spdif or toslink, whatever it is called there. If you can´t find it when the second cable is connected, I will have a look in the manuals if I can find them. But remember it might be wasted effort as the adi2 is very good at clocking from external sources and the chance of hearing a difference is minimal to none.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632