Topic: Ufx Aes/ebu

I'm using AES/EBU output of my RME UFX to feed the audio to the Genelec DSP-series speakers.
I bought Cordial  Digital 110 ohm AES/EBU - DMX cord for DMX devices and with the leftover piece of cord I was planning to replace the feed cables that are regular microphone cables at the moment.

Is there some advantages in using 110 ohm cable in short distaces?
All cables are >5m.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

Re: Ufx Aes/ebu

Makes no difference at audio frequencies for short or medium distances.  Only difference is with AES transmission at medium to long (100m) distances.

One of our venues here is being upgraded, and all the mic cabling will be done with AES 110 ohm cables, to support the possible increasing use of digital (AES-42) microphones in the future.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: Ufx Aes/ebu

Agreed to a degree.  The leading edges of the hi/low digital squarewave signal can be severely rounded off with audio bandwidth (mic) cables.  I've seen visual examples on a scope - it is clearly visible - I was slightly shocked!  Afterall, a square wave is basically of infinite bandwidth, so once you "filter" this squarewave by running it through limited bandwidth audio cable, the output is no longer "square" at all.  Not nearly enough of an issue to cause issues with getting a solid "lock" in most cases (read about one exception on this very forum a few weeks ago), but enough to increase jitter by a measurable degree.

Assuming the Genelecs can cope with Jitter fairly well (as most good DAC's can), I doubt you'd hear much difference TBH.  If I was clocking an AD converter over AES (which I probably wouldn't do anyways wink ), I'd be sure to use AES cables to insure the AD recieved the cleanest reference clock possible...

I'd be curious if leaving the Mic cables in place and adding a BNC Wordclock sync reference (with proper BNC cabling) would have the same effect as swapping from Mic Cable to AES cable?  An experiment for another day :-)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8