Topic: "Hammerfall DSP Mixer has stopped working"

PLEASE HELP!!

My RayDAT had been working wonderfully for months... on a Win7 (64-bit) PC.

It started malfunctioning a couple of weeks ago.

Here is what I can see:

——————————————————————————

When I boot up the computer, now, both the "Hammerfall DSP Settings" and "Hammerfall DSP Mixer" icons appear in the Windows System Tray...

... but then, after a few seconds, a Windows error message pops up in the middle of the screen that says "Hammerfall DSP Mixer has stopped working" and lists the following details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:        APPCRASH
     Application Name:            hdspmix.exe
     Application Version:          3.2.6.0
     Application Timestamp:     4e39473a
     Fault Module Name:          hdspmix.exe
     Fault Module Version:        3.2.6.0
     Fault Module Timestamp:   4e39473a
     Exception Code:               c0000005
     Exception Offset:             0000771c
     OS Version:                      6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
     Locale ID:                        1033
     Additional Information 1:   0a9e
     Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
     Additional Information 3:   0a9e
     Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789[/q]

When this happens, I select the "Close the program" option in the above error message.  The "Hammerfall DSP Mixer" icon usually-but-not-always disappears from the Windows System Tray.  Sometimes both icons disappear.  Sometimes neither.

Then I open Windows Device Manager... more than half of the time,the RME Card is not listed under "Sound, video and game controllers."

When I right-click on "Computer" and tell it to "Scan for hardware changes," two things happen:

(1)  the folder tree disappears for a split second, and then reappears with "RME HDSPe RayDAT" listed under "Sound, video and game controllers."  So far, so good... but then;

(2)  the folder tree refreshes itself over and over again (it's only supposed to do it once)... then, usually, either the computer freezes or I get a blue screen.

Even if the computer doesn't crash right away, and even if both the "Hammerfall DSP Settings" and "Hammerfall DSP Mixer" icons remain visible in the Windows System Tray, programs like Cubase and Kontakt will sometimes-but-not-always tell me that the RayDAT card cannot be found. 

I usually wind up forcing a power-down.  Upon rebooting, I often get a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message, or sit and wait for a very long time at the "Welcome" startup screen... sometimes I have to force another power-down, mid-reboot. 

At the suggestion of Jeff from Synthax, I moved the RayDAT card into another PCIe slot, to see whether that changed anything.

It made no difference, the above-described behavior continues.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers... nothing makes any difference.

I can't think of any major change to my system... EXCEPT that this all started happening soon after I upgraded my driver to version 3.26, and my firmware to version 12.

Nothing extraordinary happened during those upgrades, and I can't say for certain that the problems began immediately afterwards...

What can I do?  How else can I troubleshoot the card, or my computer, or...???

THANKS!!

— Alan

Re: "Hammerfall DSP Mixer has stopped working"

Please provide more details about the PC hardware in question.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by alanb 2011-12-29 23:08:47)

Just now, upgraded Cubase to v6...

Both the "Hammerfall DSP Settings" and "Hammerfall DSP Mixer" icons are visible in the Windows System Tray

In Cubase's device setup, under "VST Audio System," I can see "ASIO Hammerfall DSP" as one of the listed drivers available for selection...

... but, when I select the Hammerfall driver, I get a Cubase 6 error message saying "hdspf init failed"

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Hi Daniel,

Dell Studio XPS 9100

i7 CPU, 2.8GHz

Win7 Pro, 64-bit

9GB RAM

What else should I tell you?

I noticed something else:

When I run Win 7's "System Information" [Start/All programs/Accessories/System Tools/System information]

... and expand the Software Environment/System Drivers tree, I see the following entry:

Name
          hdsp   

Description
          RME Hammerfall Audio Device       

File            
          c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdsp_64.sys

Type           
          Kernel Driver   

Started   
          No         

Start Mode 
          Manual       

State
          Stopped

Status
          OK

Error Control
          Normal

Accept Pause
          No

Accept Stop
          No

Is this of any help?

How can I "manually" (re-)start the driver?

But wait... there's more!!

This computer is a dual-boot machine.

All of the music-making is done on the Win 7 partition.

There is also a Win XP Pro SP3 partition.

I do not have crashes/freezes on the XP partition.  I can play music, using Winamp, and everything works beautifully.

Interestingly, I ran the same Windows "System Information" check on the XP partition, and the entry for the "hdsp" system driver is running properly on this partition:

Started 
          Yes         

Start Mode
          Manual       

State
          Running

This makes me think that the card is fine, but that something happened on the Win 7 partition that is preventing the "hdsp" driver from loading properly...

Other than updating the RayDAT driver to v3.26 and the firmware to v12, the only other recent change to the Win 7 partition was the installation of Native Instruments' Komplete 8.

Could either of these things be the culprit?

Hello everyone,

I got a similar problem. But it's not exactly Hamerfall Mixer & Hammerfall DSP Setting with stopped working, it's the Device with isn't recognized by Windows 7 (x64) anymore.
I have a strong feeling that this happens due a Driver/Hardware conflict with my new Graphics card.

In my case everything worked just fine when I was still working with the onboard Nvidia Geforce 8200 Graphics Card of my K10N78FullHD-hSLI R3.0 Board.
Since I wanted to add another display to my setup, I bought a Geforce 8400 to use the SLI features of my mainboard. Both cards worked together and I could use a third display, but I was rather surprised when I discovered that Windows now refuses to recognize my RayDat. You get no settings window after clicking on the DSP Settings Icon or Mixer. And in Windows System->Device-Manager the RayDat is gone.
Having read that the Nvidia SLI features are not the best, and people run into troubles all the time, I decided to buy an ATI Radeon HD 6570. This card supports 3 displays on its own.
After removing all remains of Nvidia display drivers, I installed the Radeon and Catalyst Drivers. Same Problem again.
Funny thing is, that when you make a fresh Catalyst install everything is working fine -> 3 displays & RayDat. After first reboot -> RayDat gone again.
This makes me believe that it should be possible to get this to work. I wonder what changes in Windows system after reboot.

I hope someone can make sense of this wierd behavior & help us.
Thanks a lot in advance
Muck