Topic: FF800 questions

Hi guys!

I'm finally ready to update my system, been working on a Digi 002 for ages and with the new Pro tools 10 I'm finally able to ditch this is favour of a better  interface and was recommended the Fireface 800 from a friend.

I have a couple of questions about input options and future updating, so any help and clarification you guys could give me would be great.

1. From what I can see it has 8 main analog inputs, the first 4 being preamps, 5-8 being line inputs. Is this like the 002 where the first 4 preamps can't be bypassed?You can only plug external pre's into 5-8?

2. The 2 ADAT inputs are great and I know they can take 8 channels each. Is there any other way of getting the full 8 channels other than getting a pre with an ADAT out? For instance if I wanted a couple of units such as a couple of  SSL VHD pre's is there anyway of sending their outputs into the FF800 via ADAT 1 or would the only way to send a 4 channel pre without a digital connection be to put it through something like a Focusrite 428 with a digital card?

3. Does the FF800 perform the conversion on the ADAT channels, or would this be down to pre's you plug through it?

Thanks for any clarification you guys can give me on this. the FF800 looks like a great option for me and to know that it would be perfect for the future expansion of my studio would be great.

Cheers,

Kizzer

Re: FF800 questions

1. At 0 dB gain, you can also plug line level signals from external preamps into the front inputs, which BTW are channels 7 thru 10...

2. For ADAT inputs, you need an external converter that will deliver ADAT format. Or a format converter from other digital formats to ADAT.

3. The ADAT inputs have no conversion.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: FF800 questions

Thats great!

Thanks for your swift answers to my questions.

Kizzer