1 (edited by ottovr 2012-01-02 07:28:56)

Topic: UFX MIDI problem

For Matthias & others,

I just got my RME UFX & updated to the latest driver, then set it up via Firewire to my iMac i7 running OS 10.6.8, just like 'idelgas' and I see the MIDI light blinking MIDI in & MIDI out from MIDI 1's back connectors (I have my Roland V-Synth GT as the MIDI going into the RME & the MIDI out is going into a Dave Smith Mopho), but there is MIDI NO control.  I even tried my Roland Fantom G7 with the MIDI 2 in & out with the same results.  I have the Fireface MIDI.plugin in the Library/audio/midi drivers folder and I have the Fireface UFX appearing in the Audio MIDI Setup & I even place my connectors to the in & out respectively, then ran the Test MIDI - the instruction in Audio MIDI Setup Help is to click on the MIDI out from the Fireface UFX to test if it is sending MIDI - it makes a sound of the preset from the Mopho, although it squeels a bit from the ordinary sound, but the Mopho does NOT play from the MIDI keyboard.  I have tried to trigger softsynths via MIDI, as well as the Mopho in both MOTU's Digital Performer & Ableton's Live & both yield NO success.  I had to halt a session when it came to using MIDI for a Trilian or Mopho bass - not very cool!  I have not tried it with USB and after hearing about the lag, that's not a problem I envisioned dealing with after buying my 'dream' interface, which is turning into a nightmare.  I see there are others in this forum echoing a similar problem, so it's good to know I'm not alone, but when the Administrator claims there is NO issue (he can't duplicate it), that spells trouble for a resolution!  It's real and it certainly sounds like it ain't me babe, so I hope you great German minds will get on this & figure out what is wrong with your RME UFX MIDI implementation!  In Digital Performer, there is a menu item called MIDI Monitor and it opens a window which lists MIDI devices - Fireface UFX appears with Port 1 and Port 2 on separate lines with all 16 MIDI channels represented in boxes and when I play my MIDI synth, which lights up the UFX, NONE of them light up, which means the MIDI signal is dying at the UFX & I essentially have NO MIDI capabilities for controlling external MIDI instruments I connect or any softsynths I open in my DAWs to play via MIDI.  I have given this a pretty thorough troubleshooting attempt, reading the manual & not seeing anything I have not tried to make this work, so I hope you have a fix soon - IMMEDIATELY - I'm already tired of waiting!  This was a Christmas gift to myself & my band - AVANT DUEL, so we could finish our CD in style - we are working on our last & title track - 'Beyond Human' - PLEASE be Super Human & make it work!...

I am, Otto von Ruggins, Master of the Unheard Øf

Re: UFX MIDI problem

Hi All,

I have the same/similar problem as Ottovr. Everything is updated, running 10.6.8. The MIDI IN state LED flashes with keypress (Up, Down, Aftertouch), but no software detects the Midi. (example, Sibelius, Logic, Midi monitor). In USB mode the midi works, but not Firewire.

I realize this sounds like (or is) a software issue, but none of my other 3 other audio/midi devices (properly setup via Audio Midi Setup, same as the UFX) act like this. Does the UFX require special settings different than my other devices (like USB UNO, Axiom USB Keyboard, Presonus Firebox)?

I am happy with the wonderful sound of this device, but frustrated with the midi.

Thanks,
Marty

We are working on a driver update. Please give us some time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please read here and try:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 681#p66681

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello

Thank you for trying, but I am sorry to say that this update hasn't corrected the issue.

Marty

Is there any update on this situation? I still cannot use MIDI on my interface. I love the device's sound, though.

I would also like to know if there its any update.

I was in the market for a new firewire interface.  I can't go HD right now for multiple reasons, so I was looking for a unit that had out all.  Solid converters, strong clock, a couple nice pre's, flexibility and solid drivers among other things.  So I bought the UFX after my sales guy at Sweetwater told me how awesome it was. And I'm impressed. Seems like everything is tighter.  Punchier.  I also immediately noticed a clarity in the low end. I know I'll love this unit, but I am having some issues and this MIDI issue is one big one.

I'm running my UFX via USB. I'm actually kinda forced too because some of us can't use MIDI via firewire and I don't want to have to switch back and fourth all the time.  On my system, USB allows MIDI, but makes for a VERY unstable system. Pops, clicks, CPU errors left and right, ProTools critically low messages (something I've never gotten before). Basically a mess. I called Jeff Petersen, who is awesome by the way, a few times. He walked me through some stuff and help allot.  He suggested I go with internal sata drives vs a firewire session drive and a USB  fx/samples drive. It actually worked very well in regards to latency and Pro Tools seems more responsive, but... still having audio problems and CPU errors.  So that didn't really fix my problem.

So, mid day today I went back to connecting via firewire and, although its only been a few hours so I can't say for sure, I'm thinking firewire may have fixed the audio issues, and possibly the CPU errors. Time will tell, but...  I still can't use MIDI.

So, I really would really like to know when you plan on making the unit capable of using MIDI via firewire.  I need this option. I can't use USB (for all the reasons above).  Again, I want to love you guys (totally platonic, of course). I want to sing your accolades, and believe me I will, but its been a frustrating few weeks and right now I'm almost regretting my purchase a little.  I hope you guys come through on this one. 

Thanks for your help so far. I actually wish I never needed it, but you've been responsive so I'm satisfied.  I'm sure there's allot more to this fix than a magic wand. I know you're trying, but could you give is done idea of when we can expect this?  That may be enough to keep from cursing you out when we get inspired and want to play a bass line real quick while ruining firewire.  :-) 

Thanks
-Steve

No responce, RME?  Wow...

Then another question.  Has anyone had any sicess with using a MIDI to USB adapter for this issue?  Something like this: http://goo.gl/1nBbN

Matthias,
I'm guessing youll be leaving the posts that are asking for help on the firewire/MIDI problem, correct?  Any new news for us?

Not yet. We are still looking for a system where we can reproduce this error. Even on the Frankfurt fair all computers (and we had only Macs) did not show that problem. And we checked them all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,
Thanks for the update.  Would you like to use me as a system that reproduces the error?  Be happy to help.  Let me know what you need.

Also, my Sweetwater rep suggested the MOTU FastLane USB MIDI interface.  What do you (or the other guys on this post with this problem) think of this idea?  Have you tried it already?  Does it work?  Trying to find an answer...

-Steve

Dedicated MIDI interfaces are cheap and work. That is exactly the reason why this 'bug' is not a showstopper, but just annoying. Unfortunately your Mac is too far away from us to put our hands on...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,
I received the MOTU Fast Track and it seems to be working perfectly to fix this issue (firewire/MIDI).  Maybe it's just this particular forum, but I don't recall anyone from RME just simply stating this before.  It certianly would have saved allot of headaches.  So to clarify, if you have firewire/MIDI issues, but the $70 MOTU Fast Track (or the like) and your issue will be solved.  That simple. 

Thanks,
-Steve

Obviously, this doesn't solve the elusive issue of MIDI not working as it should on a small number of units (or systems). But (if I may say so) just as obviously, this issue will not affect external third-party MIDI devices, which can do the same job as the UFX's onboard MIDI, until hopefully we manage to reproduce, trace and fix this.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Certainly true.

I thought I would add one symptom: if the UFX is powered before the computer boots, there is a steady blue FW light, but the unit does not function (no sound, no response from meters, etc.). This may have nothing to do with the midi issue. This is like the midi in that the lights are on, but nobody is home.

M

Hi all,

I previously had part of this issue where Midi Out was working but Midi In was not. I recently upgraded my hard drive by doing a full Time Machine backup, then restoring it onto the new drive, and then neither Midi In nor Out were working on the UFX when connected through Firewire. (Audio was fully working, and MIDI would work in USB)

I have found a solution that has resolved all issues for me, so if anyone else is still having the issue, I recommend you try it:

1- Update to the latest USB Driver for the UFX (unit does not need to be plugged in, but a restart will be needed).
2- Update to the latest Flash on the UFX (unit needs to be connected through USB).
3- Update to the latest Firewire Driver (unit should be unplugged, restart will be needed).
4- Restart your computer with the UFX off or unplugged.
5- Go to Applications, Utilities, Audio Midi Setup.
6- Go to the Window menu and select "Show Midi Window"
7- In the list of devices displayed, delete any and all instances of the Fireface UFX (This appears to be the critical step; in my case, I had 2 UFXes with the same serial number).
8- Close Audio Midi Setup, connect your UFX via FireWire.

MIDI should now be working correctly. I was able to both record a piano part, and play it back to my synth.

Hope that resolves the issue for you all!

Hey everyone,

I'm using a Macbook Pro, OSX version 10.6.5 with the UFX. Same kind of problem you guys seems to be having. No midi in when connected via firewire, the led's flash and recognize the midi controller and button presses etc but does no pass through to the software. All the drivers, both for USB and firewire are updated, so is the latest firmware. Midi Monitor isn't receiving any messages. Audio Midi Set Up sees the UFX but can't see the midi messages. I have the Fireface MIDI.plugin in the Library/audio/midi drivers folder. Can't run it via usb because those slots are being used. Have there been any developments on this? The midi does work when the UFX is connected via USB so it's has to be a software thing. After talking with Jim who is US support rep here he mentioned it might be a conflict within other software... I have a digi002 rack (which works fine, midi and all) and he mentioned that "might" be it. Has anyone had this issue and have been able to resolve it themselves?

AmLochley

You did not read the post above yours? HeadScratch

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias I wouldn't have posted without trying the suggestion above and other options. Is the above post the confirmed solution for everyone with this problem? This did not work for me.

The solution worked in this one case, we have little other feedback.

Is there a specific reason for not updating to 10.6.8?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel et all - I have since updated to 10.6.8, reinstalled the latest drivers and flash update everything, still nothing. In my audio midi settings, it is not seeing the UFX (it is seeing it as an audio interface, just not midi). When I rescan, it doesn't find it. When I plug it in via usb, it sees it fine. How can I get my my cpu to see the ufx's midi section? I have the Fireface MIDI.plugin in my midi drivers folder, version 3.08. What could I be missing? The UFX is clearing working since the midi channels work with the usb, but I can't figure out why audio / midi can't find it when it scans...

Hello Everyone

I followed Rockstar's suggestion... no change, sadly.

M

Still not working for me either after trying the same. At one point my audio / midi set up wasn't even showing the RME but I realized I, at some point, must have put a copy of fireface MIDI.plug in midi driver in the "other" Library folder you find in the places sidebar on mac - not in the user folder which I guess is the main library. Deleted that and now in Audio / Midi Set Up the UFX is highlighted in the midi window but when I click "show info" the "device is online" box is not checked...

Again midi works fine when plugged in as USB, just not when plugged in via FW so I have no idea what the problem is. All updated with all the drivers and firmware etc.

The problem still exists with the current hard and sofware versions, no or corrupt Midi via Firewire!! So RME what´s up, it´s just Midi?! It´s abit sad to invest so much money and then one of the most simple things does not work.

+1

Same here. Would be really really great if RME focused on this issue. This is a $2000+ unit with a significant problem. Wondering why this hasn't been addressed.

Hello,

New customer here with a brand new UFX. I'm having the same problem: midi in lights blink on the UFX, but no midi is received in my DAW. Midi out seems to work ok.

My setup: UFX (updated to 353/153/341/8)) via Firewire 400/800 cable to iMac (late 2009 27") with OS X 10.8.4 and RME driver (3.14).

I tried re-installing the driver, removing and re-adding the device in AMS, tested different DAW's, and all the other suggestions given here. So far, no luck. Is my unit defective, or is this a driver problem?

Ben

UFX, iMac 27" late 2014, quad i7, 32 GB ram, 1TB SSD, OSX 11.7, Logic 10.7.4, Final Cut 10.6.5

Might be a driver problem. But as we were never able to reproduce it, there was no way to fix it so far.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Might be a driver problem. But as we were never able to reproduce it, there was no way to fix it so far.

I managed to get it working sometimes, but not very repeatable. I played with the order in which I turn everything on, and also hot-plugging the firewire cable helps sometimes. But I haven't found a solid ways that 'just works'.

It looks like it works OK over USB, but I specifically want this to run over firewire as my USB system is already heavily loaded.

I looked in /var/log/system.log if there were any helpful clues there, but no such thing. Does the driver log any messages somewhere? Or is there a debugging version of the driver that I might test?

Thanks,
Ben

UFX, iMac 27" late 2014, quad i7, 32 GB ram, 1TB SSD, OSX 11.7, Logic 10.7.4, Final Cut 10.6.5

hmm. Just found this thread. I am now having this issue also. its clearly registering Midi on the front of the UFX but the DAW is not seeing it. Haven't tried reinstalling drivers. going to try that now. sigh.

Have you tried other DAW or MIDI software to confirm it's not just a configuration issue of your DAW?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

My problem seems to have gone away after I added a firewire hub between my iMac and the UFX. I also tried the UFX after a Firewire hdd but that only worsened the problem.

Ben

I can confirm that I also have this issue with midi not working properly on firewire but working fine on usb.

Forget my previous comment above about the firewire hub helping to solve the problem. It went bonkers again a few times since, and wouldn't receive midi whatever I tried. Finally after powering off/on all equipment it started working again. For now…

Yesterday I noticed in Audio/Midi setup that the UFX was greyed out, and after the above, it was black again. It was in another position though, and missing all the cables to my midi devices that I had placed earlier.

<rant>
Really flakey, and unfortunately no solution is forthcoming from RME. I had volunteered to test anything they want, but got no reaction to that. I ruled out the DAW. Midi over USB is working (the few times I tried), but not really an option for daily use.

I went with RME because of their reputation for rock solid drivers and support, but am very disappointed. We're now months later so it's too late to return the UFX.
</rant>

Maybe I'll buy another separate midi interface. I'm open to suggestions, need at least two midi in/outs. But four would be nicer.

Ben

I'm having the same issue with UFX MIDI. Fine over USB, but not working over Firewire..
I'm using OSX 10.9.1  I'm assuming that the problem can't be reproduced by RME, so it's difficult to find a solution still?

Although I did not buy the UFX strictly for its MIDI interface, it really would be nice to simply have it working for the convenience of plugging a keyboard or other MIDI input device into the front of the unit..

This is a really nice piece of audio gear with a minor flaw, so hopefully it can work as described on the tin shortly..

Thanks,
Doug

35 (edited by benst 2014-03-18 12:40:42)

I thought I'd give it another try, as the latest release notes mention a bug fix for midi under firewire. So I installed V3.22 of the firewire driver, and upgraded the firmware to v343. If anything, the problem has become worse. I have not been able to get midi receiving working a single time, I tried all kinds of combination of powering on / plugging in cables / etc.

(One thing might be different though. I seem to remember that the device wasn't visible at all in Audio/Midi setup with the older drivers/firmware. Now, it definitely is there. And I can send data out with Logic. So we're halfway there...) EDIT: nope, this was the same as before. See my earlier message.

I switched over to USB (V1.94), and midi works fine. So back to the external midi interface it is.

Ben

I'm having the same issue with the UCX and Firewire.

Midi In LED shows incoming MIDI. Audi Midi Setup shows Fireface...   ... but the "Device Online" checkbox is not checked. It is checked when using with USB.

Midi OUT is working. Strange enough...

I'm on 10.8.5 using DP8, Reason, ProTools 10.3.9

Since I bought the UCX to be able to use Firewire a fix would be nice.

One of the admins said, they can't reproduce this. What's the system specs you are using?

thanks...

I have a late 2009 iMac 27", quad core i7, 16 GB ram, with OSX 10.9.2, Logic Pro X latest version, UFX v343 with V3.22 driver.

I also had some email contact with support@rme when I got the device, and I volunteered to test stuff, collect log files, etc, but they never followed up. My guess is that we're such a minority that they don't bother. Quite disappointed in that, because RME had such a good reputation before i bought the UFX.

Ben

It's not about bothering, but about reproducibility... Can't find your emails, since you are using a separate antispam address for the forum....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel, I will send you my email address separately.

Ben

Daniel,

can you send your system specs? then everyone can compare it to their setup.
I tried everything I found in the forum...

best

Titus

A comparison of 'system specs' is useless. We have lots of different Macs and none shows the problem. That is also reflected in this forum: thousands of FireWire users and less than a handful have the problem. Sorry, but this way we will not find out why it happens. The only thing that would help is to get our hands directly on a system that shows that problem. Which might not happen in the forseeable future...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Glad I found this thread because I'm having the same issue as well. With Firewire connected, the midi in 1 port shows activity but Daw and Midi Monitor program doesn't see any activity. Also noticed that the Midi in 2 port doesn't show any activity when the same keyboard with same midi cable is plugged into it, so something strange is going on here. I can't use USB either, too many USB devices in use already. Bet its more than a handful of users having this problem sad

Thanks, G
MacPro 2013, 10.12.4, 128GB ram, and two other MacPro slaves
Cubase10
UFX+ ARC USB remote

gkm, make sure that you're not having any OSC or midi control setup for port 2. (Not that this will help with the DAW not seeing any activity.)

Ben

thanks Ben but cleared all those settings and having the same problem. Still digging….

Thanks, G
MacPro 2013, 10.12.4, 128GB ram, and two other MacPro slaves
Cubase10
UFX+ ARC USB remote

i also get no midi signal into my lap, osx 10... before, a babyface nade no problems, now the ucx seems like dead. y cheap usb midi cable works fine...??

Just purchased the Fireface 802. Found this thread after 3 hours of frustrated dicking around with system. Luckily a slow week of downtime for my studio so I have time to get the bugs out (I HOPE). I have similar if not same problem as all above when using in FW mode. Will not transmit MIDI data to a record armed midi/instrument track in Pro Tools 9.0.6 This happens regardless of where in the firewire chain the RME is placed. Audio/Midi setup recognized Fireface, just no midi signal/data coming into protools. Works in USB mode, but that is not my preferred mode. Mac OS 10.6.8 with PT 9.0.6

Have you guys at RME anywhere in the world run into a similar problem? Or is this just going to be something I have to shut up and deal with? By the looks of all the threads on Gearslutz etc. it might be.

Best to all
Colin

Here is my two cents worth. Just got the UCX, replacing a Fireface400 that is now going to another system. I have the most up to date firmware and drivers as of today - USB45, DSP240, FW25, kernel Driver 3.25. I am using Logic 9.1.8 with OS 10.9.5.

Connected via firewire. Sending midi to the UCX, the input light does work - but Logic does not receive the input. Midi output from Logic tracks can be sent to both output ports. Connecting a controller to another midi device (NI Maschine in this case), I can get midi into Logic that passes to the midi outputs of the UCX. Kind of disappointed with this issue.

I have a few hard drives - and my mac has only FW800 not FW400, so I go from FW800 to an external Lacie hard drive, then from that FW400 to the UCX. Of course you have to put the UCX at the end of this chain - unlike the FireFace400 which can come first (But it always worked best for me at the end of the chain). SO - I tested by simply going from the Mac using a convertor cable FW800 to FW400 straight to the UCX, and midi works exactly as it is supposed to.

SO - for those with this problem, I know it sucks, but don't put drives between the mac and the UCX. Because my problem is only with the incoming midi never getting to Logic, I can use the midi input on my Maschine instead, and still use the UCX outputs - because really, I do need to use those external drives.

I just bought this today, so have not tested extensively, but I really, really, really hope that the audio signal is in no way affected by the UCX being at the end of a firewire chain.

I hope this info helps?

One question I have: Is there any difference in performance using the UCX with USB vs FW400? Can you achieve the same low latencies and same low CPU usage. These are the reasons I bought the UCX.

For those who have found this thread, I just updated my UCX with the 06/05/2015 driver update, and the 03/19/2015 flashrom update. There is no change to this midi issue.

49 (edited by ramses 2015-07-03 06:43:29)

Scott R wrote:

One question I have: Is there any difference in performance using the UCX with USB vs FW400? Can you achieve the same low latencies and same low CPU usage. These are the reasons I bought the UCX.

It depends much on the computer. I have an UFX and am using a supermicro server mainboard with Intel C612 Chipset.

There USB runs better than Firewire.
Cubase 8 Pro shows slightly lower latencies when using the same ASIO buffersizes.
I can use with USB any combination of Samplefrequencies and ASIO buffersizes.

With my old PC the issue started when I discovered by accident, that I could not record with high samplefrequencies without audio problems, although the PC was nicely tuned for audio and had very low latencies. I checked then every combination of samplefrequencies and ASIO buffersizes and got a weired picture back, as also lower samplefrequencies had a problem and especially with certain ASIO buffersizes (and not always the lowest). When having audio problems/outages the firewire driver error counter increased by around 10 errors per second.

Part of the problem was a consumer mainboard, the problem changed slightly with the PCIe socket used. Another part was a crappy Fw chip (TI XIO2200A). With another card with newer TI chip the problem went away for recording with higher sample frequencies. But there were still some combinations of Samplefr. and ASIO buffersizes that still didnt work.

Even after getting quality hardware (my new supermicro board and Xeon E5 CPU based system) the issues could not be fixed entirely. But when using USB, all combinations work flawlessly.

Since then I was converted to use USB for my UFX. As I said, Cubase even reports slightly lower ASIO latencies and another positive side effect is, that you can upgrade the firmware now directly without having to switch from Firewire to USB.

But there seem to be systems out, where Firewire shows better results. I think it heavily depends on the design of mainboards along with the Chipset and how exactly USB is implemented on the chipset.

To sum up, USB is worth a try and can work better than you might expect.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

50 (edited by TonyS 2015-07-03 16:17:19)

With my system,  FW reports lower latency than USB. I also have no problems with MIDI. Records and plays back fine to external devices and VST.
Specific FW card and processor has to be look at at next reboot.  UCX / Win7 64bit / I7 / Samplitude ProX & ProX 2 suite.