1 (edited by bobbyb 2011-12-28 05:03:31)

Topic: Hello, I'm having a Windows 7/Multiface/HDSP problem.

Hello, all..

Last week I completely redid my machine with Win7(64) and when I try to install my RME I'm having no luck.  I have an old original Multiface (Steinberg/nuendo label) and HDSP card. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years but has always worked great for me, but for some reason I can't get past the initial installations this time. 

I've done everything in proper order (many times) according to the manuals and past experiences. I've used the drivers and flash updates from the RME website as instructed.  I've searched on these forums if the card will run on 64 (the answer seems to be yes... http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13226 ). 

And I've read the additional instructions regarding using Windows 7 on this forum (regarding, going to the device manager for the setup).  I've repeated the process many times, but when I install the card, and the drivers, everything seems to recognize everything else just fine, and in the 'audio' section of windows it even automatically defaults to the RME (though it seems to call analog 1& 2 "speakers" which is true in my case). 

However, the Host/Error light is always blinking and when you open up the Hammerfall DSP Settings, it is constantly toggling between "connected" and disconnected" (or a constant state of disconnected), and simultaneously, when Hammerfall DSP Mixer is open, it keeps moving from a small window, to a much larger window with many more input and playback channels for a split second, and then back the smaller window.  It's constantly toggling between these two modes.

Anyone run into any problems similar to this?  Does this sound like a synchronization problem that can be fixed somewhere within windows or the settings of the hardware?

Re: Hello, I'm having a Windows 7/Multiface/HDSP problem.

Have you tried swapping out the HDSP cable (FireWire cable)?  Or reseating the PCI card (along with cleaning the contacts)?  Tried an external PSU on the Multiface?

That's where I'd start.  It sounds like all of your installation methods are sound...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by bobbyb 2011-12-28 05:57:20)

Thank you for the reply, Randyman! I've done all of those except the external power supply.  I've never had issues with the power supply before but it's probably worth a shot, the new OS may take up more juice. I don't know much about electricity/electronics so I'll just take that at fair value. Problem is I don't recall the MF coming with a power supply (it may have but that was years ago), and I don't see any indication on the back of what I should be using.  Are those specs I can get from the website?

edit: nevermind, just found it on the manual!

Well, I finished up those things to no avail.  I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore.  I have no idea what my next step is.  Do I try to contact someone about looking at the hardware to make sure things are sound? And if that's the case, is there a process for doing that through here/Synthax?

Not sure what you tried but blinking indeed points to an insufficient power. Just grab something powerful and connect it to the MF to see if it fixes the blinking (requires reboot).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wanted to thank you guys for your prompt (and correct) help. Just as an update, for anyone curious or anyone who may use search engines later (as I do frequently to troubleshoot), The problem was in fact a power supply.  Turns out finding a power supply these days to match up what you need is not the easiest thing in the world, but I got one in and everything works normally again.

I called the Synthax help line, just because I was a little concerned, that if I'm using a piece that is not supposed to need external power, and now all of a sudden requires it, is there something wrong that I'm unaware of? Are we putting a quick band aid on it?  The short answer was that it was not a problem, and sometimes power supplies and other things just get old or something in the computer corroded maybe not sending enough. 

I did want to stress that, I'm not sure why this problem happened with a new install of Windows 7 when it hasn't happened before, and from searching, it looks like this is not completely unique. Win7 is supposed to have a better power distribution system, but from what my software engineer wife tells me, then initialization is where it takes all the power, which I think the same can be said for the Multiface, so maybe that's it.

However, I'll let the nerds worry about the nerd stuff, I just know it works now.  Thanks again, guys.