1 (edited by alfred 2011-12-24 07:52:42)

Topic: Exsys and ff800 compatibility?

Hello everybody. I wish you all a merry christmas.
I'm looking for compatibility between Exsys pcie fw controller and ff800.

I'm on the point to move into the 64 bit world...
Future system will be based on a socket 2011 architecture with an i7 3960x cpu + P9X79 asus motherboard (it has a via fw controller......as all asus motherboards).
SSD drives, watercooling system and so on....a nice machine smile
DAW is cubase 6.
The motherboard has one only pci slot....(pretty hard to find recent socket 2011 motherboard with more than one pci slot...)
This slot is used by an UAD1 pci card. So the the 1394b controller has to be pcie...no other choice.

The model I could buy near my place is :

exSys EX-16415, PCI-Express-I/O-Karte, 2+1x FireWire 1394B, 1x FireWire 1394A, FireWire 800/400
2x extern und 1x intern (10 Pin für HUB) FireWire800 1394B, 1x extern FireWire400 1394A, Chipset: TI IEEE1394b OHCI-Lynx, dank TI Chipsatz speziell für Videobearbeitung, Audio und MIDI Anwendungen geeignet...

is that a recent/old TI chipdet? Has anybody tried it? Is it compatible?

Or if anybody could tell me the name of one precise model running smoothly on a 64 bit w7 socket 2011 pc.

Thank's for help.
Best regards

Re: Exsys and ff800 compatibility?

33 people have seen this thread without any answer
I hope someone someone will be able to help me on this one. :roll :-)

Hi Alfred,
It is a holiday weekend so response will be a bit slow.
If the card uses the TI chipset then you should be fine.
I don't know of anyone that has tested that board so can't say how compatible it is over all. It is a very very new chip set.

Personally I would disable the VIA all together in the BIOs.
That board uses the new ASMEDIA USB 3.0 chip that is a USB3/E-SATA bridge bridge so expect to see issues with devices running correctly on the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hi Chris, thank's for answer.

Could you developp a little bit more Chris please.
You mean that the via controller is somewhere link to this ASMEDIA usb 3.0 chip which could result in issues...?
Or that ASMEDIA is even link to the pcie express controller?
Sorry for knowing anything about it...
I currently own a external hd which is USB2/3 compliant. You mean that if used it will interfere with something?...
Thank's again

Hi Alfred,

Unless you are going to be using the Via port then I would disable it.
As far as I know the USB 3 chip is working fine with hard drives. I have seen reports of audio, midi and video capture devices not working with well or at all. The chip is very new. The most common USB 3 controller is by Reneses/NEC and they had to go though many driver and firmware updates for it in order to work out compatibility and performance issues. I expect the same from this ASMedia chip.
Just more of a warning to look out for this USB chip if you have any odd behavior from this new motherboard.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

6 (edited by alfred 2011-12-26 20:34:02)

I'll report here my experiences once I'll have everything connected ( in about one week ).This may help a lot of asus user people
who want to upgrade to the 2011 socket.
I really hope everything will go smoothly...

7 (edited by alfred 2012-01-07 09:36:45)

Hi,
I have just finished to configure my new X79 system based on a ASUS P9X79 and a i7 3960x.
I have bought a new EXsys 1394 a/b PCIe (EX-16415) which is smaller (habout half!) in size than the EX-16410 (which I own too but it is in another machine ). Audio interface is fireface 800.
First I have decided to keep all option "ON" (from VIA controller to turbo boost 2, external HD USB 3 plugged into computer, usb2 mouse, e-licenser stick...) Internet on!!!  Nothing has been done to improve DAW apllications tasks yet...
And guess what?
EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY. NO GLITCHES, NO CRACKLES, NOTHING smile
I just ran a test with a full 8 engine GEIST + 4 times STROBE with 3 notes of polyphony + 1 DIVA with 3 notes polyphony. No glitches. (diva a real cpu hog even on a such beefy machine...cpu can handle it but cpu meter is more spkiky when I TURN diva ON)
Loads of tests have still to be done but it seems promising at this early stage.
I just wanted to share it with you.:-)
I'llkeep you informed once I'll have tweaked my pc for better audio performance.