Topic: Fireface 800 not working on laptop running Win7 32-bit.

Hi, my Fireface 800 is not functioning right with my laptop. I can get it installed, the drivers and firmware is up-to-date, and the computer recognizes the Fireface through my Expresscard Firewire-interface (Delock, TI chipset).

The problem? No sound and frequent crashes. I can, for instance manipulate the settings on the Fireface like turning the phantom on/off, but I can't get the Fireface to playback sound without the output getting stuck on this feedbacky noise, after which the computer usually crashes. I also can't get the card to record audio, if I connect a microphone to the Fireface, the input lights on the front of the unit indicate incoming signal, yet neither TotalMix nor my sequencer (Cubase4) show any input, despite the fact that both Cubase and the computer recognize the Fireface, meaning that I can for example configure inputs and outputs in Cubase.

The strange part is, the Fireface works fine with my tabletop computer, even as the default sound card for Windows7. Most settings are identical and yet I can't get the Fireface to work. What could be the problem, the Firewire-interface or something else? Help, I'm getting really frustrated with this.

The system is
AMD Sempron 2.0 GHz
4 Gb RAM
Windows7 32-bit
Cubase4
Delock Firewire400 Expresscard with TI chipset, using legacy drivers

I,ve tried the standard stuff suggested on this site like:
updating drivers and firmware
using legacy drivers for the firewire
disabling UAC and Windows Aero
not using the Fireface as the Windows default soundcard

Is there anything else I might try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Fireface 800 not working on laptop running Win7 32-bit.

Hi, I had a similar problem with the FF400 that I just got. Since you have a quality FW card, it sounds like you are running into a CPU issue. Here are some steps that helped me get up and running:

1. A massive clean-up of your computer. It's one of those things we always want to do but never actually have the time for. Deleting everything that you don't absolutely need will make things easier. Besides, everything else will run smoother too.
2. If possible for your application, switch the bandwidth to only the analog outputs (next to the buffer size settings).
3. Switch off your wireless connection.
4. If needed, change your buffer size.

I am no PC audio expert, but this is what made sense to me as a live audio guy. Everything is working fine so far and I will continue to put the setup through its paces.
By the way, to the RME guys: Thanks for the great AD/DA's!

Try setting your Power Plan in Control Panel to "High Performance" instead of "Balanced". Also, check the PC manufacturer's website for updates to BIOS, Chipset driver etc.

Unfortunately, you may have an unresolvable problem with the ExpressCard slot that renders it basically useless for this type of use. Nothing can be done for this except an exchange for a different model.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff & mcfreyer, I've already tried a few of those tricks, I just formatted my computer and reinstalled everything a few weeks ago so a clean-up shouldn't be necessary. I think I also tried setting the laptop to high performance mode, so I guess I'll try updatting BIOS and the rest of the ideas and hope it works.

Don not forget to disable battery control.