Topic: FF400: HP Elitebook or Macbook Pro w/Bootcamp?

I'm in the market for a new machine to run with my FF400. I'm looking at a new HP Elitebook 8560p w/FW express card, i5, 8GB, and Win7 Pro. Also considering a friend's '09 Mac Book Pro w/Core Duo and Lion OS, also running Bootcamp. Unsure of the specs on the Macbook (memory, speed, etc).

Overall, which is the better option?

I obviously use the FF400 for recording, but I also want to step into live effects processing and software synths. Stability and compatibility are both important, as well as processing power. Most of my software is Windows based. I'm running Reaper as my DAW.

Re: FF400: HP Elitebook or Macbook Pro w/Bootcamp?

I found the latest Mac Book Pro 15" (quad i7) running bootcamp (Win 7 32 bit) one of the best machines for realtime audio. HP EliteBook 8730w seems to be the worst one in my repertoire.

I would go for Mac as you have many HQ audio software there beside windows.

If possible, test before you buy.

Thanks for the info.

Due to budget, the Mac Book Pro I'm considering is used and from '09. However, it's in Seattle, so I can't try it out very well. Nor is the Elitebook available locally, so I can't try it out too well, either.

What about the Elitebook makes it bad for you? Just curious. I prefer to have something I can run some engineering applications on (Schematic capture and PCB layout, simulations, embedded development tools, etc). Obviously not at the same time, but I need a dual-use machine. Rather than rely on the Elitebook's built-in FW controller, I'll just get a card. But I'm sure there's more to it than that...

4 (edited by kasaudio 2012-01-11 22:56:47)

Problems with HP 8730w:

-win XP
           - problems with incorrect default bios mode for disk (ahcpi or smth instead of ide) -> computer came with windows vista preinstalled and I immediately reinstall XP. FF800 crashed with bluescreens due to that issue. There were also problems with wireless interface causing dropouts and lags with FF800 operation. When I identified all problems it seemd to work acceptable in the end.
-win 7
          - with battery control disabled, wireless interface disabled, bluetooth disabled and graphics set to default vga (no aero) it also seemd to work quite well. But like you, I also need a computer to run engineering apps beside audio and machine set the way I described is useless for anything else except audio. It is a little difficult to accept if you pay 2000€...

I also tried fw controller card and it made no difference. But it was not TI based and even if it was, I'm pretty shure, things will not perform any better.

Just for confusion: I also own HP 8710w and it is a good machine, to my experinece it outperforms the elite (T9600) with less processing power (T7200). Never had problems, but I did not try it with win 7. This 8710w is my default "workhorse" for audio (from spring of 2008) and now it gets replaced by MBP now.

2011 MBP15" runs flawleslly with win 7, all peripherals enabled. But is less suitable for engineering work due to small display and lower display resolution.