1 (edited by whatudid2me 2012-01-15 18:08:14)

Topic: HDSP-e AIO shipping with unbalanced breakout cable?

Hi, I am considering to change my soundcard and get a RME HDSP-e AIO but the unbalanced breakout cable is making me think twice. My whole studio is wired with high quality balanced cables and getting a standard HDSPe AIO wont help me..I really dont know any other brands which sells 800+ $ cards shipping with unbalanced in and outs (Lynx etc. all of the rival brands ship with balanced cables).

What's the idea behind shipping HDSP-e AIO with unbalanced breakout cable?? If I buy HDSP-e AIO I have to wait like 2 months to get a balanced breakout cable because of the distributor where I live does not have seperate balanced break-out cable, this is ridiculous, aint it??

Re: HDSP-e AIO shipping with unbalanced breakout cable?

Yes, it is, but don't you think you should complain to your distributor then? As you can find out by searching this forum most users indeed use unbalanced cables with that card (and the 9632), that's why this cable is standard in the box.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don´t know where you live but in Europe a lot of online music shops have the part in stock.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Firstly thanks for the replies, appreciated and then I dont want to discuss about the technical details (because I think everyone here aware of the difference between them) but as we all know "unbalanced lines are more susceptible to noise, and cable runs should be short" and decent quality cabling is an expensive thing in professional studios so there's no way for using unbalanced cables for my Avalons smile) .. My distributor said that the RME products just arrived so the closest time they'll gonna purchase stuff again is in 2 months..

Secondly I believe most of the users use those cards with unbalanced breakout cables because you sell them that way smile ; you can never know the real interest when there's no balanced breakout cabled version available (if there was and those were sold more than balanced ones I'd believe you  but there's not a standard 9632 or HDSP-e AIO version ships that way). I think there should be a balanced version as well (like Babyface)..

I did not want to buy that cable over the net because there are unoriginal cables like "Quality X brand Break-out cable for RME etc." too. These words are from a musician who has sympathy for the RME brand nothing like personal complaints..

This is original http://www.thomann.de/at/rme_bo9632_breakoutkabel.htm
BTW on my HDSP9632 I use unballanced.
On my ADI8 (with HDSP 9652) balanced.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

The 9632 had been shipped with balanced cables for many years, until we changed that because everyone complained about getting unbalanced cables. Search this forum and see how many other posts you find that complain about missing balanced cables, then you know what is going on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I did search and did found lots of balanced cable problems too but there's one more thing those searches did not solve my problem. I am looking for a proffesional internal card for Recording (all analog inputs from external preamps like UAD and Avalon) and Mixing (ITB) Audio and %99 of people I know dealing that way use Balanced connections "which means Less noise & more headroom".. I just did want to share my opinion and wish for a balanced break-out cabled version of HDSP-e AIO..

If HDSPe AIO is not suitable for my goal you can advise me another RME card, thats why I am here; no offense but I was looking more constructive help here..

The HDSPe AES, RayDAT or the HDSPe MADI with one or more external converters (ADI-8 QS) provide balanced analog I/Os. The signal path of the ADI-8 QS - with the best converters in the RME product range - is completely balanced.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for the reply Knut, guess I'll wait for the new UCX; I am really interested in those high-end converters of UCX..