Topic: Fireface UC - Totalmix FX and ipad class compliant ?

Hi,

I've just recently purchased a Fireface UC and have the following concerns:

1. Is Totalmix "FX" available for the Fireface UC? If not, it seems strange that it's available for the less expensive Babyface.
2. Will the UC be capable as a class compliant interface for the iPad (like the new UCX)?

If not, will the above be possible in the future? Is it just a question of a firmware update or is it a hardware limitation of the UC?

My apologies if these questions were already answered elsewhere.

Thank you

Re: Fireface UC - Totalmix FX and ipad class compliant ?

Hello,

You have the TotalMix FX GUI without the effects capability. The UC does not have the dedicated DSP required to run the effects. As for the cost, bear in mind that the UC has 8 in / 8 out analog, while the Babyface has 2 in / 4 out.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

You have the TotalMix FX GUI without the effects capability. The UC does not have the dedicated DSP required to run the effects. As for the cost, bear in mind that the UC has 8 in / 8 out analog, while the Babyface has 2 in / 4 out.

That's small comfort after spending twice as much money. What's the point of having all this i/o (which is great) but be shortchanged without the eq and fx? How does that make any sense?

Thank you for your reply Jeff.

You can even buy a RME 8 in 8 out AD/DA converter (ADI 8QS) with no preamps for 3X the price of the UC. It´s about quality and capabilities.
The UC is still available, so I guess RME still has demand for them.
What do you need the onboard FX for? Only thing I think it is useful for is for a reverb/delay for a vocalist while tracking. And there are other ways to do that.
Just trying to be comforting! There will always be a new shinier and cheaper toy, just after when you bought yours....
And the UC with FX is the new UX and that is 400€ more

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

5 (edited by neirbod 2012-01-24 17:52:43)

BMeister wrote:

That's small comfort after spending twice as much money. What's the point of having all this i/o (which is great) but be shortchanged without the eq and fx? How does that make any sense?

RME offers different products for different needs.  Some need internal effects, some don't.  Some need more analog ins and outs, some need fewer.  This all makes perfect sense.

You seem to have bough a unit that does not meet your needs.  That is unfortunate, but hardly RME's fault.  Seems like you really wanted the UCX, or UFX, or Babyface.

Thank you for all your replies.

I guess I got the short end of the stick (deciding on this interface at the wrong time...).
I'll have to re-evaluate my purchase.