Topic: UFX and Cubase Control Room

Currently have a Steinberg UR824 and plan on purchasing a UFX. The latest SOS reads:

"(Cubase's Control Room's) major practical drawback was that initially it could only be used if you disabled ASIO Direct Monitoring."

But then goes on to say:

"Some third-party manufacturers such as RME have also taken advantage of the ability to synchronise Direct Monitoring and the Control Room for cue mixing, but as far as I know it’s only Steinberg’s own hardware that can be fully controlled without you ever having to leave the DAW."

Do I have to disable Direct Monitoring to use the UFX with Control Room? I love the functionality of the Steinberg unit, but I need the lower latency & more ins/outs of the RME. Also, if there is a guide to how to set up cubase control room with the UFX, I'd appreciate a link. Thank you!

Re: UFX and Cubase Control Room

Hi,
Using the Fireface UFX's Total Mix FX can easily be used together with Cubase's Control Room or in place of it.
I have not used ASIO direct monitoring in years since I am always tracking with software VST effects on live inputs in Cubase.
ASIO Direct Monitoring of course disables that ability.
Accessing the Total Mix is as simple as clicking on it;s icon in the task bar. There is no need to close, minimize or stop playback or recording in Cubase. It is as simple as opening the Control Room using Cubase's menu or key command.

You most likely will find that Cubase's Control Room section will be of little use once you start using the Total Mix FX Control Room section and it's other very power monitor mixer functions. These are available with any program whether or not they use ASIO or ASIO Direct Monitoring. The advanced monitoring of the UR824  is limited to only recent versions of Cubase/Nuendo products.

You can have hardware based latency free high quality effects available on almost every Input and output on the UFX without reducing the number of I/O like you do on the Steinberg interfaces.

We have some good tutorial videos from our You Tube channel showing some of the mixing and routing abilities of the Total Mix FX software.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2167A9113CB26297

There is also and end user that created some great advanced tutorials on using the advanced mixing functions of the UFX.
http://www.youtube.com/user/liveaudiofx/videos

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Re: UFX and Cubase Control Room

Thank you for the response. I'll check out the tutorials.