Topic: FireWire 400 4 to 6-pin in Europe

So, Alva cables are recommended but the RME website does not sell the 4-pinto 6-pin model that I (and everyone with a laptop) needs. The Alva website shows me only a distributor but not a retailer for Ireland. And the UK retailer Synthax does not carry this cable either!

Anyone know where I can buy one in Europe, hopefully through a website in English? And hopefully fairly cheap?

-- robin

Re: FireWire 400 4 to 6-pin in Europe

Update: I have found some off-brands in the small (1m) length I need, but still no Alva or anything else I'd have confidence in.

The ALVA line of FireWire cables is going out of production. We will update the RME website soon. If you canot find a cable in an online shop every FireWire cable with the specification will work. But i think you need a 9-pin (FW800) to 6-pin (FW400)? 

best regards
Knut

Windows notebooks need 4-pin to 6-pin (both FW400). Mac laptops need 9-pin to 6-pin (FW800 <> FW400).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have had some strange interference problems that effect my FireFace 400 but not my NI USB interface. That is why I want to ensure the best possible cable and shortest possible length, simply to eliminate one possibility. Of course a cable for digital signal should be bit-perfect, but I have read elsewhere that quality matters for interference. Perhaps that is wrong information.

Yes, I have a Windows laptop, a very excellent IBM machine that is rock solid. Got it for one-tenth the price of Mac and it has far more connectivity.

Frankly, the 4-pin connection used on Win laptops sucks. It's inherently unstable, and can disconnect just by touching the cable. Higher-end versions should have a bit better fit.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

You should have told me that before I hooked up the UFX to an old Acer's 4-pin port for a recording today... fryingpan rant
Seriously, though, I haven't had problems with these connections, although I admit I don't use them on a regular base. I guess it all depends, as usual...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

All Firewire connections suck. They are simply too small and fiddly. Only a larger locking connector can be trusted, but I guess laptops are not engineered to professional audio standards.

Then again I have gigged with 4-pin for years and no lost performances yet.

RME Support wrote:

You should have told me that before I hooked up the UFX to an old Acer's 4-pin port for a recording today... fryingpan rant
Seriously, though, I haven't had problems with these connections, although I admit I don't use them on a regular base. I guess it all depends, as usual...

Yes, I used it a lot too, but I never felt safe. Out of the 3 FW connecter types this one is the worst. Maybe that laptop just had a loose port...

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.