Topic: Babyface for playback..

Hi to all

I am considering of buying the Babyface mainly for use as a DAC connected to my Mac Mini and i want to ask some questions.

1) Can it work in "exclusive access" (hog) mode with the Decibel, Audirvana Plus and Pure Music s/ware players?
2) Does it have -or can it be set to have- a line out signal independent of the units volume control?
3) Can you suggest any power supply that will work well with the B/face?
4) If powered from power supply will it be able to function without the computer? I was wondering if I can have a disc player connected to the opt spdif in without the need for the mac to be on!
5) What DAC chips does the Babyface use?   

Thnx in advance!!!
Michael

Re: Babyface for playback..

1) That's most probably a yes.
2) You will want to use the balanced output for music listening with speakers, not use the headphone line out. You should just make a snapshot in Totalmix of your desired volume.
3) see 4
4) No. I'm not sure why you would want to do so, using a software like Fidelia or Audirvana Plus would give you a better sound quality anyway unless you have a 5000$ cd player, but then you probably wouldn't need a Babyface for music playback...

Xill wrote:

1) That's most probably a yes.
2) You will want to use the balanced output for music listening with speakers, not use the headphone line out. You should just make a snapshot in Totalmix of your desired volume.
3) see 4
4) No. I'm not sure why you would want to do so, using a software like Fidelia or Audirvana Plus would give you a better sound quality anyway unless you have a 5000$ cd player, but then you probably wouldn't need a Babyface for music playback...

Thank you very much for your reply!
1) Anyone that can answer for sure?
2) No I won't use the line out of course!
3) I would like to have power supply anyway so any suggestion?
4) Yes the main source is the computer I just wondered if I have this option in case I need it! And you guess right I don't have a 5000$ player smile

Hi,

1) Should work fine since these programs do the same thing as all other audio programs and DAW software.
2) Analog Line out 1/2 and Analog Line out (Phones) 3/4 are independent. If you switch the Digital out to Optical SPDIF to use with a receiver then you will have 3 independent output sources. If you do not want volume adjusted on the Babyface then just leave it on "0".
At that point it will be full line level and you can use some other external device for volume adjustment.
3) A power supply would only be useful if you computer did not deliver enough power from the USB bus. This would be pretty unusual from a modern computer. You also increase the chances for grounding issues by adding that extra power connection.
4) The Babyface has no stand alone functionality. When the computer is off there is no sound. External Power supply or not. You would need to use something like the Fireface UC or Fireface 400 if you want stand alone functionality.
5) If I told you I'd have to kill you...... smile

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

ChrisLudwig wrote:

.....5) If I told you I'd have to kill you...... smile

OK I accept!! Please do... smile smile

Thnx Chris for your reply!!!!

5) Don't tell Chris that I told you...:-O The DA is this (if I'm not seriously mistaken)...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

?hank you very much!!

Should I watch behind my back from now on?? smile)))

Regards
Michael

Any Mac user about the "hog mode" for sure??

Hi,

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Off with his head!
tongue

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Well if I finally decide to move up a step and get the Fireface 400 will I have better sound?
A second reason is also the stand alone capability!
I am asking because even if the FF400 is a much better tool for recording I will never use all it's capabilities (the B/face is more than enough for me) and also the "Baby" is a more recent product and in digital the newer the better no? So just in terms of sound playback is the Fire better than the Baby?

Thnx again!!

Babyface specs are better than FF400, but in real world operation it's not a major difference.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

..so I guess you mean that there is no reason, for the main use I will make, to go to the FF...

ThnX!!!!!!

Could the Babyface, with the proprietary drivers accept digital signal from an iPad? Like Fostex HP-P1 for example!!
I think this would be a very good option... is it possible?
I think it would need dedicated power suply though... or even better a dedicated rechargeable battery power suplly...

Sorry, no.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

14 (edited by DomieMic65 2012-01-15 19:07:36)

Can someone tell me how many Volts gives the Babyface in its output in 0db?
I had one for audition in my system for some hours playing through "Decibel" s/w player for mac and it sounded much lower than the M2tech EVO DAC (I am also having it on loan) that gives 2,7Volt rms output!
I am wondering if I should have adjusted the B.f volume in maximum or the 0db was the right adjustment... I have a feeling that I should have tried the maximum output!!!
Unfortunately I had it for a very little time ...

15 (edited by DomieMic65 2012-01-16 00:30:33)

I also want to mention that due to the players "exclusive access mode" (I guess) the TotalmixFX was inactive. I mean that when I tried to lower or increase the volume from the T.mix nothing happened!!
I don't know if I could do it from the device... I was stupid enough not to try it sad

I would appreciate if someone tried playing through "decibel" and report here... Thnx!!!!!

+15 dBu = 4.3 Vrms. But you used it unbalanced, that means +9 dBu = 2.2 Vrms.
Exclusive mode can not prevent TM FX from working, as this is a remote program for the hardware itself. No mixing done in software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

+15 dBu = 4.3 Vrms. But you used it unbalanced, that means +9 dBu = 2.2 Vrms.
Exclusive mode can not prevent TM FX from working, as this is a remote program for the hardware itself. No mixing done in software.

We used this cable http://www.audioconn.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DuetDAC.

So why do you think while playing with Decibel in Exclusive access, when I tried to play with the volume from the TM FX there was no responce??

Also ... the 2.2Vrms you say are in 0dB or in full output??
Thank you very much!!!!!

Well it seems that I found out what is going on!
Ok the 2.2Vrms unbalanced in 0dB still sound a less than the other dac's 2,7Vrms output but not so much as yesterday. Now I don't have the feeling that my preamp is not driven properly... the main out was set to phones -that's why I thought the TM FX was disabled- while the hardware out might have been a little less than 0dB...
Anyway my friend was kind enough to give me his Bf once more so I found out ...

Thnk u all for your feedback!!!!

20 (edited by DomieMic65 2012-01-17 00:34:53)

Has anyone tried any external P.S. with the B.face?
Differences in sound?
I've read on the net that other interfaces (impact twin for example) benefit a lot!

back again...
How about the ADI-2 is it better DAC than the Babyface?
What are the options to connect it to my Mac? M2tech hiface usb to spidif converter is one... anything else?
Does rme have any similar product as the hiface?

How sensitive is the B.face to the computers electrical noise transmitted through the usb cable?
I am asking because I know that some devices are galvanically isolated in order to prevent this kind of noise...

I would appreciate an answer!!!

Even though I don't get any answers in my last (audiophileprobablysillyforyou) questions I will continue asking...
In case someone wants to use an external p. supply with the B.face: what is the correct polarity?
(+) on the internal pin and (-)on the sleeve or the opposite??

Turn the BF around (look at the bottom).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

[img align=C]http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/07/e3/cc695aa6632c2aa1193d0d402ffd5eef.jpg[/img]

it doesn't show...
The photo is from the net I didn't receive mine yet!

You are right (and MC forgot that I already pointed that out to him... fryingpan)
Center pin is +.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you very much Mr Fuchs

Well at last the Babyface Snow Edition is "crying" in my system... I would appreciate any advice in order to get the best sound out of it!

I have a small issue though! I am using the unbalanced breakout cable. Even though there is nothing connected to the Analog inputs I see in the T.mix FX hardware inputs AN1 & AN2 a small "activity" going on down in about -70dB region. What might this be? How can I disable 100% the analog inputs?

Thnx!

I would appreciate any advice in order to get the best sound out of it!

Just play some music on the outputs.

Even though there is nothing connected to the Analog inputs I see in the T.mix FX hardware inputs AN1 & AN2 a small "activity" going on down in about -70dB region. What might this be?

This could be noise, introduced by the connected external device or the analog preamp gain in this channels is not set to 0 dB. If the inputs are not routed to an output (check the matrix), no signal from the inputs goes to the outputs. Or just mute them.

best regards
Knut

30 (edited by DomieMic65 2012-01-25 16:29:32)

Admin Knut wrote:

This could be noise, introduced by the connected external device or the analog preamp gain in this channels is not set to 0 dB. If the inputs are not routed to an output (check the matrix), no signal from the inputs goes to the outputs. Or just mute them.

Thank you for the reply!
By saying "external device" you mean the computer? Because in my case there is nothing else connected to the BFce. 
The analog preamp gain is set to 0dB.
I can't say that I have understood the usage of the matrix yet!
You mean to mute them from the device itself? I have, but I still have this signal!
May be you are right and this is computer noise... the thing is that this was not happening with the other B.face I tested before I buy mine... I used an aftermarket breakout to rca only cable though!
Also I observed that when playing with the "Decibel" app the "signal" stops while there is music playing and comes up again when I quit the player! From the other hand when playing with the Pure Music the "signal" is present with or without music playing!

it's strange that the signal I described above falls at -104dB when i play with Decibel and goes up to -80dB when I play with Pure Music...