Topic: Good adat option for ufx?

okso i need about 5 more inputs and about 3 more outputs. Anybody recommend a good adat option for the ufx, audio quality cannot be compromised!! cheers

Re: Good adat option for ufx?

Focusrite OctoPre MkII ?

3 (edited by Blair Francey 2011-12-30 19:07:10)

Start your search with the RME ADI-8 QS and ADI-8 DS.

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

4 (edited by empirix 2011-12-30 19:15:11)

RME OctaMic II 8?

RME ADI-8 DS 8  => ok so this is doable, just about be able to get the cash together - hope its worth it smile thanks

on another note: what cables do i buy to connect this to the ufx? also will toalmix automatically recognise the ds8 and increase the channels? cheers

empirix wrote:

okso i need about 5 more inputs and about 3 more outputs. Anybody recommend a good adat option for the ufx, audio quality cannot be compromised!! cheers

If you need 3 more independent outputs the Focusrite will not give you this. It only provides Analog to Digital conversions and the analog outputs are direct outputs passing signal from the pre-amps. The ADI-8 QS and DS provide A/D and D/A conversion and the analog I/O is independent of each other therefore providing you with 8 more analog inputs and 8 more analog outputs

best regards,
Blair Francey

I recommend 4 x ALVA optical ADAT cables to connect the ADAT I/O of the UFX to the ADI-8 for best performance. Happy New Year :-)

best regards,
Blair Francey

thanks a lot blair for all your help smile  never had the need to do this before so just want to be sure. so totalnmix will recognise the new channels too i take it smile

many thanks and happy new year smile

Listed by cost, top is $$$ bottom is $

All provide an additional 8 I/O

RME ADI-8 QS
RME ADI-8 DS
Focusrite Octopre MKII Dynamic (The regular non-dynamic version DOESN'T do D/A, only the Dynamic version has 8 analog outputs from the ADAT port)

I realise now i may need afew more than 8 inputs. How about this(looks a good price):

FERROFISH A16 MK-II AD/DA CONVERTER

http://www.thomann.de/ie/ferrofish_a16_mkii.htm

can i use this with the rme ufx. How exactly would i connect it,just with the optical cables?  will all  the channels show up in the totalmix software? apologies if these are stupid questions but i have never used adat before, thanks

hello empirix,

yes, you can use this via adat, but you will only be able to use channels 9-16 when working with 44.1/48 khz. when working with 88.2/96 khz you can use 8 channels (4 channels per adat port) and in 176.4/192 khz it will be 4 channels maximum (2 per adat-port).

like Blair told, just connect any adat out from one device to the adat in of the other device and vice versa for full track count.

i'm not sure if you are aware that neither the ferrofish nor any adi 8 will give you preamps. if you want to get microphone signals into your ufx/computer via adat then you will have to add mic preamps. if you only work with 44.1/48 khz you could also use a combination of preamps and ad/da like the older octopre mkI (of which i have one to sell used :-)

anyway, none of the cheaper focusrite devices will be as good as the preamps and converters in your ufx. to get that quality you would have to invest in something like the focusrite 828 or similar (which wouldn't give you outputs).

greets,
hannes

A good ADAT addition to the UFX is a 2nd UFX in stand-alone mode. It's a completely configurable AD/DA converter with the same preamps and low latency converters. Works also as a backup interface.

best regards
Knut

I have the RME Octamic II paired with the UFX..I like the results I get.

would a firewire 400 be a good  option via adat?? i can pick up a used one for fairly cheap here??