Topic: FF800 PSU failure ?

Hi,

When I switch on my FF800, the leds are briefly on and then they all go off.  Then nothing happens. The FF800 is not recognized by my MacbookPro (OSX10.7).  When I switch it back off, some leds are briefly on an then go back off.
Samr thing happens in stand-alone (no firewire cable).

Do you think I have to replace the Power supply ?

Thanks for your advice,

Setup : FF800 with latest driver and firmware on MBP late 2011 (OSX Lion)

Re: FF800 PSU failure ?

Yes.

My PSU was flakey for a long time.
It would sometimes boot and identify itself with a different number in the settings box (normal was 9B7 for mine, but sometimes 77F for example).
It is one of the original units. I decided to have a look and discovered some bulging capacitors in the power supply which I replaced and it's been perfect ever since.
My intent here is not to encourage you to go and try and fix the unit yourself.

Get it serviced and if it is the PSU, it might be a relatively inexpensive repair as in my case.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I've the same symptoms : this "identifying" issues before it stopped working

Thankx a lot.

I'll buy a new PSU !

5 (edited by whinecellarstudio 2012-01-27 23:34:29)

This just happened with my FF800 as well and from a little research it seems pretty common with units of this age (I bought one shortly after release at the end of 2004).  Synthax quoted me a total estimate of $200 to swap out the PSU - does that sound about right?  Seems a little high but then again that includes labor so it's probably more than fair...

Hopefully RME are sourcing a more reliable solution for current products - I've never had a PSU go bad in any of my other gear, some of which is quite old.  I look forward to upgrading to the UFX - the FF800 has been one of the best & most reliable pieces of gear I've ever owned!

Jim Daneker
www.whinecellarstudio.com
2008 8-core Mac Pro/16GB RAM/10.6.7/Logic 9.1.4/FF800

My FF800 from 2004 died too recently with a loud bang as one PSU cap literally exploded. I hope my second unit from ~2006 has more reliable caps.

sonarmods.com