Topic: major noob help. RME fireface 400. input / output / recording / playba

Hi! I just bought a used RME Fireface 400 and long story short, I have absolutely no idea how to use it. I recently upgraded from a presonus firestudio mobile which was 100x simpler than this.

anyways, I am currently using windows 7 64 bit with Acoustica Mixcraft 5. i WAS using Sonar8, but I just love the simplicity of Mixcraft. The package came without the cd, so I just installed the recent driver on the website.

so my first problem is just trying to get it to record. i connected the mic into channel 1 (with 48v) and the sound can get picked up (i can see from the fireface mixer). BUT, how come when i try to record in a program, it doesnt record. I select input in the program as analog (1 + 2).

second problem is trying to get the sound playing back through my monitors (KRK 5). i have them connected via 1/4 to 1/4 cables to outputs 5 and 6 on the interface. i select output in the program as output analog (5+6) and i cannot play anything. anyone know anything about these problems? is it because these programs aren't compatible with this interface or is it something else that I'm completely missing? also another thing, what is the knob with the options to select channel and level, with the led screen for? does that have to do with anything?

sorry for the complete beginner questions. I've never encountered something this difficult.

Thanks for all the help!

Re: major noob help. RME fireface 400. input / output / recording / playba

It's not difficult at all. Here is the manual:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface400_e.pdf

Regarding no signal: make sure you use the latest firmware 170 (not only the latest drivers):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … re_400.zip

Then also check with Media Player (Playback) and DIGICheck (Input Level via ASIO):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dc_534_win.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: major noob help. RME fireface 400. input / output / recording / playba

BUT, how come when i try to record in a program, it doesnt record. I select input in the program as analog (1 + 2).

Which program? The mixer has nothing to do with the signal as he is behind the incoming signal in the signal flow (if you don't activate Loopback). But if you see the signal in the mixer, every program should get if the correct input is chosen. Set the preamp gain to the right value for the mic signal in the Fireface settings dialog. The mic preamps are digitally controlled and can be set not only with the front knob, but also with the settings dialog. As MC wrote, please read the manual (page 18).

second problem is trying to get the sound playing back through my monitors (KRK 5). i have them connected via 1/4 to 1/4 cables to outputs 5 and 6 on the interface.

Do you see a signal in the 2nd row of the mixer in channel 5/6 (playback channels)? The same signal should appear in the 3rd row (output channels). If not click channel 5/6 in the 3rd row (it gets brighter) and set the fader in channel 5/6 in the 2nd row to 0 dB. Don't activate any Loopback or Listenback feature. As you are using the mixer only for a direct routing you should reset it to the default state.

Please have also a look on our tutorials for TotalMix on the RME Youtube channel.

best regards
Knut