Topic: Advanced Remote - build quality/durability?

Hello,

Longtime FF800 user looking at upgrading to a FF UFX with the advanced remote.  That combination would solve a LOT of problems for me.  I just have 2 questions (I've searched but seen conflicting answers):

1. Can someone confirm that Totalmix/UFX can effectively allow 5.1 or even 7.1 monitor control with the advanced remote?  Specifically, can I use the remote volume knob to control multiple outputs simultaneously?  That would allow me to sell my surround volume controller ;-)

2. How's the build quality/durability/feel of the advanced remote?  This would see heavy usage in my studio and the pictures make it look kind of plastic - does it feel substantial in use?  I'm used to a nice weighted, metal volume control right now and am hoping the RME would fill in nicely...

Thanks so much!

Jim Daneker
www.whinecellarstudio.com
2008 8-core Mac Pro/16GB RAM/10.6.7/Logic 9.1.4/FF800

Re: Advanced Remote - build quality/durability?

1. Any channels can be linked with fader groups, so yes.

2. All aluminum construction, not plastic. It feels pretty heavy to me.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!  Can you comment on the feel of the volume knob itself?  Does it feel weighted/substantial?

Jim Daneker

Feels just like the Babyface, not sure how else to say it.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Cool - I've never seen one so I'll have to go check it out.  Thanks again Jeff!

Jim Daneker

whinecellarstudio wrote:

2. How's the build quality/durability/feel of the advanced remote?  This would see heavy usage in my studio and the pictures make it look kind of plastic - does it feel substantial in use?  I'm used to a nice weighted, metal volume control right now and am hoping the RME would fill in nicely...

I've had a Babyface on the go for almost a year now, it has clocked up a lot of frequent flyer miles & still feels great (same as day 1 really), very nice weighty chassis & the wheel/buttons have a quality (think German car) feel to them.

Looking forward to ARC, UFX is working beautifully (on Mac OSX) & will be nice to just leave it in the rack & have most controls next to my mouse.

Thanks drainaudio.  I'm a German car aficionado so that's very helpful ;-)

Jim Daneker