Topic: BabyFace volume control for JRiver playback

I use Babyface for playback (and occasional room correction mesurements) in a HTPC.  How can I get windows 7 to control the volume of My Main outs (analog channels 1+2) ? They don't show up in the windows 'Sound' manager.
Thanks,
-Justin

2 (edited by JustinM 2012-01-30 00:06:43)

Re: BabyFace volume control for JRiver playback

Ok I'm getting desperate tongue Let me start simple.
Is it possible to control the volume using the windows volume control????   (like an everyday sound card)

or can I assign the keyboard volume keys to control main or channel 1+2 out puts?

thanks

The outputs 1/2 are labelled 'Loudspeaker'. And Windows volume controls the volume if these outputs are used in the application which is sending audio.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the info smile  I still haven't gotten this to work yet and I do have the jRiver App sending the audio to (outputs 1/2 'Speaker')..   I am sending the audio via asio, and have tried directsound, wasapi, ect.. with no success.  Would this possibly be the problem , Might I need to send the audio via RME's driver ???

-Thanks for any help. (I realise this may be an issue with a third-party app)

Justin

Which channels exactly have you configured as standard audio device in Windows?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ASIO will not work. As I wrote and Daniel asked again you have to use the correct output devices in JRiver. WDM (or whatever they call it) and then Loudspeaker.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

... if the software has its own dialog for choosing the audio output. It may just rely on the Windows selection.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

-I currently have 'Babyface Speakers' (which is analog out 1+2) as the windows default device, and default communications device..  (only worried about computer playback)

-yea, the software (j river) only provides a drop down menu, to choose asio, directsound, wasapi ect...  so if 'asio' won't work, and I understand correctly..  I need RME's driver to be added to that drop down menu....  so I can choose it instead of asio..     correct??

Thanks

I believe DirectSound should use the WDM driver as chosen in Windows Control Panel.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I just realized JRiver has nothing to do with the prob.....  I simply need the volume of analog 1+2 to be controlled with windows volume.  (or just the keyboard keys)   

@Jefft
I'm not sure what you mean smile      But when I get home I'll look the control panel for anything regarding Directsound..  tongue (I use windows 7)

11 (edited by JustinM 2012-01-31 00:46:12)

I was just informed by RME support  (toronto distributor) -  that Babyface output volume cannot be controlled with the windows volume; or in reference to it.   
I appreciate that BF isn't running the audio chain away from windows, but why ellimiate keyboard volume controls??  REFERENCE IT
This might be a deal breaker for me if I can't control my (HTPC) volume remotely.   
I hear I might be able to  assign keys to TotalMix... (but I bet that would only work when the window is active)

Heres another example:    http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12694

I got the babyface for audio and room correction, It sounds nice I just can't control the volume tongue

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8343

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks a million!!!  (will 750 cnd at least wink

Big grin

-Justin

14 (edited by JustinM 2012-02-01 04:08:53)

I celebrated to early, the last link didn't work for me ( install failed because of win 7 64 bit I believe)

Matthias,

I was re-reading what you wrote,,   Is there a way to do this in windows media player? (use the rme driver)

Thx,

Did you see the last post in the link?
64 bit midi port drivers!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hello,

my upper comment was incorrect. I am used to AIMP, which maps the volume keys to its own volume control.

JustinM wrote:

I was just informed by RME support  (toronto distributor) -  that Babyface output volume cannot be controlled with the windows volume; or in reference to it.

That is indeed correct.

JustinM wrote:

I appreciate that BF isn't running the audio chain away from windows, but why ellimiate keyboard volume controls??  REFERENCE IT

We will not add this feature, sorry. Also the BF does have a handy volume control which sits right next to you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, Thankyou for your support smile Babyface is perfect for a desktop setup, but for now It's tucked under my big screen next to the HTPC, pulling it's wieght in a computer based audiophile setup. It runs the amp(s) directly without preamps. This means I either have to get up off the couch, or pull out the mouse to control the volume in the various apps...  Hopefully the above link will help restore the "One volume to control them all" (regardless of application). Jriver takes care of it's audio path. Perhaps in the future a driver might surface that does not require the use of TotalMix wink   

Thanks