Topic: My good ol' ADI-2 future after I purchase FF UCX?

Hi Guys,

A new member here, an old, haappy RME user though:=). I'd really appreciate your input (have posted the same question in "Miscellaneous" 2 weeks ago but no answer so far....) on the following:

I am upgrading my studio and have made the decision; Fireface UCX is THE thing I've been looking for for a long time and will get it in a matter of weeks! But - I'd really like to know whether my good old ADI-2 (which currently I'm using with M-Audio interface via SPDI/F) will only be useful to collect dust after I get the FF UCX?

Let's put it simple; can ADI-2 still improve the sound of FF UCX (converter/clock?) or would this step be completely unnecessary and redundant after I acquire FF UCX? There are various rumors/opinions that the design of some stages of ADI-2 is better then that of FF units, but hey! I really don't have enough knowledge on design/topology behind these units to be able to judge for myself.

Therefore I'd be really happy for your input on this. I don't have unlimited budget and would sell ADI-2 if there would be no practical benefit from it after I buy FF UCX. But if this unit could still push the sound capture/reproduction capabilities of even such an elaborated device as FF UCX is supposed to be, then I will ceratinly keep the ADI-2, my best home-studio investment (so far?).

Thank you for helping me out on this!

Fedja

Re: My good ol' ADI-2 future after I purchase FF UCX?

Fedja Juvan wrote:

Hi Guys,

A new member here, an old, haappy RME user though:=). I'd really appreciate your input (have posted the same question in "Miscellaneous" 2 weeks ago but no answer so far....) on the following:

I am upgrading my studio and have made the decision; Fireface UCX is THE thing I've been looking for for a long time and will get it in a matter of weeks! But - I'd really like to know whether my good old ADI-2 (which currently I'm using with M-Audio interface via SPDI/F) will only be useful to collect dust after I get the FF UCX?

Let's put it simple; can ADI-2 still improve the sound of FF UCX (converter/clock?) or would this step be completely unnecessary and redundant after I acquire FF UCX? There are various rumors/opinions that the design of some stages of ADI-2 is better then that of FF units, but hey! I really don't have enough knowledge on design/topology behind these units to be able to judge for myself.

Therefore I'd be really happy for your input on this. I don't have unlimited budget and would sell ADI-2 if there would be no practical benefit from it after I buy FF UCX. But if this unit could still push the sound capture/reproduction capabilities of even such an elaborated device as FF UCX is supposed to be, then I will ceratinly keep the ADI-2, my best home-studio investment (so far?).

Thank you for helping me out on this!

Fedja

Hey there,

It depends on your usage model. How many inputs do you need? Do you want a dedicated monitor dac with a volume control, plus a headphone with a separate volume control?

I would keep the ADI-2 until you get the UFX and listen and play with it. Or if you need fewer inputs/outputs look at the new UCX.

Otherwise I am very happy to give your ADI-2 a new home! :-)

Isaac P