Topic: Elementary FF800 questions

These may challenge the notion of "there are no stupid questions", but I can live with that...

I'm working with the Fireface 800 and Samplitude Pro X.
I have the physical 8 analog outputs cabled to a A&H mixer.
In Samp, I set a track, say "piano",  output to the FF channels 3/4.
When I play the track, on the mixer it's coming through on a couple of the other channels as well...
I've tried various things on the TotalMix program, and I just do not understand it, so...

1) is the TotalMix necessary to use the audio interface (i.e., if I disable TotalMix, can I just route things directly from Samplitude to the box without going through a "re-router"?  I have tried closing TotalMix, but I believe that once the Totalmix sets the FF800, the box "remembers" the settings, so I still have the same problem. 

2) is there a particular setting that may be causing this track to be routed to others as well? 

3) I have the PDF manual and am still working with it, but are there other reference materials, tutorials, etc. available?

I greatly appreciate any advice!

-Scorepio

Re: Elementary FF800 questions

What you are describing is normal, and is reflective of the great flexibility of Total Mix.  There is a tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwoKoxYfzds

There are presets that do what you want - routing all playback channels to only their respective hardware outputs.  See page 66 of the manual.

Simply closing the Total Mix Window does not alter the way the FF800 routes signals.  You can set it up in standalone mode if you want, but what you really need to do is just use TM to get the routings correct.  It is pretty intuitive once you play around with it.  Just be sure to use "submix view" as it is much more intuitive that way.

Re: Elementary FF800 questions

Thanks, neirbod - I should've thought of YouTube...EVERYTHING is on YouTube!  I did reset to preset 1 and it is now working as I expect. 
So now I'm gonna go educate myself a bit more so I can avoid it happening again...or at least be able to deal with it.

Very much appreciate the kind suggestions.