Topic: Fireface UC Totalmix knob problem

Whenever i turn the knob on the front to adjust the volume of selected channel, the pan goes crazy.

Here's a video i made:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92931474@N00/6154775619/

What's up with that? Is there a fix for this?

Re: Fireface UC Totalmix knob problem

Selected channel? I see 7/8 in the video. You selected 7/8 for the knob or just 7 OR 8? Yes, you are in mono mode at the unit...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7/8. (long press to adjust both at the same time)

Correct, if mono the pan will behave differently. Anyway, it works correctly in several units over here. You use which driver and firmware? And most probably this is just an optical problem, the function still works ok.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Correct, if mono the pan will behave differently. Anyway, it works correctly in several units over here. You use which driver and firmware? And most probably this is just an optical problem, the function still works ok.

The signal pans as shown in the video. So this is not only an optical problem, it pans the audio.

Firmware: v115 Driver: v1.59

Btw: is it normal, that when turning the knob, a little dot between the two digits on the LCD starts to flash random and lightly?
It seems that when turning the knob, some other data is randomly transfered aswell (pan)...?

Hello

Just bought a rme fireface uc and got exactly the same problem as fano, when I turn the knob it affect the volume and the pan sad hope to find a solution

You are correct, under Mac this is the current situation. We will try to optimize this, but that will need some time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've got a PC...

9 (edited by seanturco 2011-09-22 21:06:46)

Hello,  I got the same problem too. But I solved it.
Perhaps everything happens for a reason, I remember , I was trying to double click ( or hold)  The knob, and it solve it.

( sorry for my bad english )

Here is a new version of TM FX, 0.95pre3, for Mac, that solves the pan issue in terms of audio. The optical problem stays.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm ā€¦ 95pre3.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello. I also have the same problem on both Mac and PC. The problem persists even when the Fireface UC is used in standalone mode, not connected to a computer.

My Fireface UC has firmware version 115.

In Windows 7 I'm using driver 0.984 and Totalmix FX 0.942.

In Mac OS 10.6.4 Iā€™m using driver 1.59 and Totalmix FX 0.942. Totalmix FX 0.95pre3 did not solve the problem for me, neither in terms of audio nor in the Totalmix FX user interface.

Thanks.

Jonathan.

What problem are you talking about? In stand-alone mode there is no pan problem when turning the front knob.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When a mono channel is selected using the dial on the front panel of the Fireface UC the level is adjusted as it should be for that channel, so no problem there. However, when a stereo channel is selected (such as the headphone output), the dial adjusts the level of that channel incorrectly, and at the same time it also adjusts the pan of the same channel incorrectly.

For example, when the LED display on the device shows "oo" (maximum attenuation) the level in Totalmix FX (also audible) shows -20.3dB and the pan shows R99. When the LED display shows +6dB, Totalmix FX shows +6dB for the level and L95 for the pan. In intermediate settings, Totalmix interpolates (logarithmically?) between -20.3dB and +6dB for the level, and between R99 and L95 for the pan.

The above stereo level/pan problem happens (audibly only) even when there is no computer connected.

When I disconnect the Fireface UC from a computer, I notice the "OUT1" LED on the device flashes when the dial is used.

Jonathan.

I have just been messing around with the Fireface UC trying to find out why the above problem (see post #13) is occuring. I found that if I turn on Link (Gang) mode, as described on page 46 of the printed manual, the problem goes away. If I turn off Link (Gang) mode, then the problem comes back.

So to clarify: if I want to adjust, say, line output 1 level (mono) and then change the headphone level (stereo), Link mode must be first turned off to adjust line output 1, and then turned on to adjust the headphone output. If Link mode is left turned off before adjusting the headphone level, then the level and pan and incorrectly adjusted.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for the Main output (usually headphones) to ignore the Link mode so that when Link mode is turned off to adjust mono channels, it does not have to be turned on again to adjust the Main output (which is always stereo anyway). There may be a good reason why this should not be implemented, but right now, I can't think why not.

Jonathan.

So indeed you talk about something totally different than what this thread is about. If you have the unit set to mono mode and the channel you control in TM is stereo then what happens is fully logical and exactly what you see. This is no error and can not be fixed - it is the correct way of handling such a misconfiguration. Change to stereo mode when you edit stereo channels and it will work as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your reply - it is really great being able to communicate directly with the company that makes the product.

Now that I have thought about it for ten minutes, I see/hear what is happening. However, I find it unintuitive for the Link mode to have an effect when controlling a channel that can only be stereo (the Main/Control Room output), but maybe other users don't.

Thanks a lot, glad to have got my Fireface UC back to normal. It's a brilliant audio interface. Apologies if I hijacked the thread.

Jonathan.

Hello All,

i have the same issue with my new fireface UC, when I turn the knob it affect the volume and the pan  hope to find a solution.
I'm on laptop HP DV7 on VISTA OS

Is it hardware issue regarding the knob? should I contact my service after sale in France distributor?

Thks in advance and sorry for my english, i'm french guy

Press and hold the encoder until it shows "on" (Stereo Link).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ok, thx, that's works, but if my track is on mono what's happened? Another thing, i would like to know why when i 'm in stand alone, and i move th encoder the LED midi out flashing? I haven't device connect on midi out , and i don't use MIDI functionnality on my RME fireface

Thx in ad

Help please