Topic: HDSPe Madi card struggle

I have been using the old PCI Madi cards (two in one system) for a while now. These have had a few specific issues causing clicks and pops. Hoping that the new HDSPe cards would be our saviour, I have now several times tried to install the new HDSPe cards without them working properly.

The problem is that there is some digital "fizzy" (think soft drink) distortion on any audio signal.

Both cards are up to date according to the FUT and running 3.0.53 drivers.

So the cards as they are now are totally unusable.

Going back to the old PCI cards all work but still having the clicks and pops forcing us to switch the driver between autosync and master a bunch of times to get it working properly again.

I have now invested in four frigging cards and none work as they ought to!
I'm not a happy RME user at this time and Iknow there's a few of us.

What will you do to fix this, or should hi end users go to SSL instead?

---------------------------
Dell 690, 4GB ram, WinXPsp2, Nuendo 4.1

Europa Sound & Vision.
Dubstage, foley, sound editing, picture department.

Re: HDSPe Madi card struggle

How is the setup synced, what kind of converters are you using? Do you hear the noise on the cards' headphone output, too?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I haven't checked the headphone o/p, will do that tomorrow.

Wordclock from Rosendahl Nanosync, SSL Alpha and Delta link converters.
I have tried deriving the sync from the Madi I/O with no change.

Europa Sound & Vision.
Dubstage, foley, sound editing, picture department.

Bump

Hi Erik,
I have nearly the same setup as you except i'm using the HDSP Digiface. Rosendahl Nanosync and SSL Alphalink is the same.
I can confirm to you the problem is a SSL Alphalink firmware problem which up to now they havent solved. I strongly advise you to not waste your time and money and just contact SSL Support with your problem. If you go to www.gearslutz.com and do a search on "SSL Alphalink" you will see others with the same problem but even with MOTU hardware. If you just bought the SSL Alphalinks and can return them, i suggest you do so and get something else. I bought online from overseas and returning mine is impossible now that i have been waiting for a fix since july when i bought it. I have shipped my unit once back to SSL Engineering in London for a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this issue but it came back with the same clicks and pops clocking issues. I'm in contact with SSL engineering who up to now are still telling me they're working to find a solution.
Honestly i'm pissed as hell.

Regards

docdune