1 (edited by Rowan21 2011-09-29 13:04:52)

Topic: Fireface 800 & OS X Lion drivers

Hi there,

Recently we installed new hardware in our studio.

Core i7 Mac Mini, check.
OS X 10.7 Lion, check.
Logic Studio 9.1.5, check.
Fireface 800, BZzzBrokenAudioNotworking shit.

Can we expect working drivers soon? Lion has been out for months now, I cannot believe there are still no drivers for your machine to work with it.

Thanks for reading, greets Rowan.

Re: Fireface 800 & OS X Lion drivers

Not necessarily a driver issue.... What is stated here applies to FW devices, too, and we will try to incorporate these fixes there, too.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Rowan21 2011-09-29 13:43:13)

RME Support wrote:

Not necessarily a driver issue.... What is stated here applies to FW devices, too, and we will try to incorporate these fixes there, too.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the quick reply, it not nececcarily being a driver issue I don't find that interesting.

What does concern me is when I can expect my 3000 euros costing hardware to normally function, where the good old Mbox 2 does perform as it should.

When do you expect these fixes?

Thanks, greets Rowan.

Audio hardware and drivers can only function normally if the OS they run on allows it. This has nothing to do with the price. You could also ask Apple why an update to an OS that is known to work really well for audio (SL) doesn't just continue exactly the way things were there. Considering the price you paid for your Mac Mini...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Audio hardware and drivers can only function normally if the OS they run on allows it. This has nothing to do with the price. You could also ask Apple why an update to an OS that is known to work really well for audio (SL) doesn't just continue exactly the way things were there. Considering the price you paid for your Mac Mini...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Alright, so when do you expect these fixes?

Thank you, greets Rowan.

When they are ready... cool

Sorry, can't specify a date.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have the exact same problem!
Had an old Mac G5 (no intel) with a digi002 system, for 16 input recordings... the digi002 broke down, and the mac computer was so out dated.. i though, lets dump the old stuff and invest in some new equipment

so got myself a brand new mac computer (arrived yesterday) and already had a fireface 800 witch i couldn't use with the old mac (the old G5 could only support up to ProTools 6,4 wich requiers a digidesign interface HeadScratch)
But with the new system i could use Logic 9.. so i bought Logic 9 aswel big_smile

being happy with my new purchases i started installing today, i was so excited.. had some brand new toys to play with!! But I soon got kicked in the (fire)face... with downloading the Fireface800 drivers

I mean, come ON!!! Lion released in JULY, it's almost October now.... on top of that, Apple even announced the upcoming new OSX a few months before the release (call them + ask beta + make software = win = happy customers)

You make great audio equipment RME.. but this very unprofessional (and RME isn't the only one... Avid and Presonus, same story)

Don't you guys get a beta test of osx or something in advance to test your new drivers? So you can release your drivers/fixes/patches/firmware/whatever at the same time as apple releases their new OSX?

A lot of your customers are Apple users, all of your customers spend good money on your equipment (and it's worth every dime, dont get me wrong!) but is it to much to ask to keep your equipment updated? I think not...

Now if I wasn't forced to buy a new computer, I would've stayed with Snow Leopard OSX... but brand new machines come out of the box with Lion.
Guess I'll just connect my webcam microphone to the back of the computer now.. see if the Jazz Bigband that is coming this saturday like's the sound of that! (or i might just reschedule them and not make any money till your HotFix comes out)

+1

can't wait!

-
Live: MacBook Pro 2.4, 10.6, FF 400, Ableton Live
Studio: MacPro 2.8, 10.6, FF 400, Cubase

Can't you hear ? It will be ready when it's ready ! :-) And it's Apple's fault, by the way…
Thanks again for the friendly tone.

Did you actually try the current drivers?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I 'm using the current drivers. It works except when it doesn't. I mean sometimes during a DP7 session, for instance, I get cuts in the sound, randomly. Just quitting DP7 generally solves the problem.
In terms of the Fireface 800 being recognized by the mac (Imac 27 2010), the erratic behaviour I once had with 10.7, seems to have disappeared with 10.7.1.
My 2 cents.

Thound wrote:

It would be more helpful if you tell us what that is exactly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello RME team!

I really love your products and I've looking around for a driver so that I can use my Fireface 800 with my Mac Book with Lion.

Can you please give me a date, when a new driver will come for the product that is fully compatible with Lion?

That would really make my day, I have lion sitting on my Snow Leopard Desktop now for 4 months and have not installed it yet, since the Fireface is the last piece of equipment where I read about problems with the existing driver - all the other stuff I use has been updated already.

Thanx a lot for a clear statement on this.

Better you tell me you won't update the driver or it's only going to be out at Christmas or whatever, but saying we cannot tell anything about this question doesn't really help.

Pete

MC wrote:
Thound wrote:

You: get your hands on a mac with lion, plug-in the fireface. Then you know.

+1 for the news ! That's RME's style : wait and stop asking. Can't get used to it. Maybe we should stop showing our weakness, by telling them all the time we like their products :-)

Rowan21 wrote:
MC wrote:
Thound wrote:

You: get your hands on a mac with lion, plug-in the fireface. Then you know.

No I don't, because here it works. And reading the feedback from lots of people this is the same for many. Problems can and will always show up, that might not be a Lion thing.
@ Thound: So give us a detailed failure description or we have to assume that your specific problem has nothing to do with Lion.
@Rowan21: there are a million possible reasons for audio distortion. From broken FW cable to destroyed FW ports to hardware/software interrupting communication. We have a new Mac mini ourselves and it works without obvious problems with the current drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by mocker 2011-10-03 09:59:30)

1. I had NO problem at all, with exactly the same configuration and cables before Lion. Problems (audio distorsion) appeared right after installing it.

2. Are you trying to tell us that because your Mac Mini works "without obvious problems" with the current drivers and Lion, you're not working on an updated driver ?? This is really important for us customers to really understand your plans on that matter. So far your communication is pretty unclear.

3. I don't want to change hardware - again I'm happy with my Fireface - but I hate to feel insecure. I'm also planning the purchase of a new MacBook, so I need to walk on solid ground.

Thanks for reassuring your Mac customers.

mocker wrote:

1. I had NO problem at all, with exactly the same configuration and cables before Lion. Problems (audio distorsion) appeared right after installing it.

mocker wrote:

It works except when it doesn't. I mean sometimes during a DP7 session, for instance, I get cuts in the sound, randomly. Just quitting DP7 generally solves the problem.

So basically you have no problem, and especially not the ones mentioned in this thread (complete failure)? And you are just waiting for either Lion's Core Audio or Motu's DP to be updated to perform as before?

The 'cuts' in the sound might be a known Core Audio bug, mentioned in this forum, which can be solved by a complete reset of Core Audio:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12074

And btw, Pal from that thread got his Babyface to work as well. Here's his info:

--------------------------
I got it to work, here's what I did:

Since my Lion install was upgraded from Snow Leo first to Lion beta, then GM, then 10.7.2 beta I suspected some plist problems. And I also remembered that I used to have the Babuface as default CoreAudio device as soon as I plug it in. Thus meaning the coureaudiod have to switch when BF plugs in. I delete Audio and Midi plist from my user, then deleted all plists from \Library\preferences\audio. Repaired disk rights and rebooted. This time the BF came to life and I can now happily use it.
-------------------------

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

So basically you have no problem, and especially not the ones mentioned in this thread (complete failure)? And you are just waiting for either Lion's Core Audio or Motu's DP to be updated to perform as before?

MOTU did update DP 7 to make it compatible with Lion. So now it would be their fault ? Come on.

Are you telling us that YOU at RME are waiting for Apple to correct their Core Audio to work with your drivers ? Is it a joke ? All this is really scary. I don't get it, guys. You would be the only company to say : we won't change our drivers until Apple goes back to the former system ? Do you mean Snow Leopard ?? Is that what I should understand ? I really hope I'm wrong. Please : clarification is urgently needed, before I switch to another brand.

All those "may" and "might" sound like you're not working on any update.

I'll try the killaudio trick anyway and report.

Fireface 800 and New Macbook Pro Major Driver problem with OS X Lion..

Hi.
I've been using my wonderful Fireface 800 and Octamic D for 6 years on my Windows desktop machine.

I chose to make change to an Apple macbook pro  2011, and MAC OS X 10.7 Lion operating system because of the dedicated Firewire 800 port and all round high specs for this laptop. I went to load RME drivers and found that there are NO OS x Lion drivers, on OSX Snow leopard... Despite Lion being introduced several months ago.

I've had a real disaster loading the Mac 10.6 drivers. A huge screech and crash happened.
Please, when will drivers be available for Lion 10.7?

I'm really disappointed that they are not available, RME have had fantastic drivers under Windows for years, and now I feel really let down, by a company that I recommend to other studio owners on a regular basis. My Fireface 800 is the heart of my recording studio, and has been rock-steady for years, just a wonderful piece of kit

Please, please can RME sort this out as soon as you can.

Mike

21 (edited by Rowan21 2011-10-07 13:53:51)

Hi,

I have managed to solve the issue by installing latest firmware drivers for the FF800. I recommend anyone experiencing the same issue to try this.

Greets Rowan.

Rowan21 wrote:

Hi,

I have managed to solve the issue by installing latest firmware drivers for the FF800. I recommend anyone experiencing the same issue to try this.

Greets Rowan.

You, my man.. are a genius big_smile

Now why didn't i think of this myself... or did I? rotfl

Thound wrote:
Rowan21 wrote:

Hi,

Greets Rowan.

You, my man.. are a genius big_smile

Now why didn't i think of this myself... or did I? rotfl

Hello Thound,
Now do FF800 and Lion works together for you? Are your problems solved?

No problems here: Fireface 800, firmware 2.77, driver 2.93, Mac OS X 10.7.1, Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

Simon Morrison
www.simonmorrison.com   |   www.GuitarTrackReEngineering.com

No Problems concerning Dropouts, but unfortunately since LION update i have heavy performance problems under cubase.
Projects with lots of tracks and plugins which were running smooth with 512samples under SnowLeopard now need  2048 samples buffer size and are still not running completely smooth.
Running them with 512 makes every thing slow ( mouse clicks, adjusting volumes, .....) and i mean really slow ( 2 sec. or more)
No Problems with smaller projects.

Any Solution for this?

MacPro / Lion 10.7.1 / FF800 (latest firmware&driver)

thanks,
Chris

You have tried a fresh installation of Lion without installing it over a previously installed Snow Leopard? This helped me to get rid of performance problems with several programs.

best regards
Knut

this would mean to re-Install all applications & stuff?
pfffhhhhhhhh....

See my postings here, Lion has a good migration assistant.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Fireface 800 driver 2.97 is working fine with Mac OS X 10.7.2 (just released).

Simon Morrison
www.simonmorrison.com   |   www.GuitarTrackReEngineering.com

fellow RMEers, I'm just about to tackle the same problem after recently acquiring a macbook with Lion 7.0. Does one have to install 10.7.2 with this new driver? realizing that is an old thread I thank you in advance for your acquired knowledge on this subject.