Topic: Fireface UFX horrible pops with firewire n UAD card/plugins

I am concerned about damaging my UFX with horrible clicks and pops whenever I enable/disable UAD powered plugins via ableton live. I will also get a sudden drop in audio volume, and all my bars will go into the red whenever it pops. I am very concerned, so what I did was try it in USB and this does not occur. Also whenever I disable my ASIO firewire UFX driver in ableton and re-enable i get a horrible studder sound where it nearly blows my speakers so I have to immediately close ableton and restart. The buffer settings are at 512, I have tried various buffer settings to see if this solves the problems and it doesn't. This all does not occur on USB!
I am also having problems getting audio out on my ADAT, I am trying to connect a subwoofer via a audio control station that does not have 1/4 inputs but however has an ADAT input. I enable the ADAT in assign for output main B and this does nothing.

system info:
Intel i7 - 950 3.06ghz
6gb DDR3 turbo corsair ram
western digital 10000rpm harddrive
gigabyte X58 motherboard

super fast system!
what shall I do???

Re: Fireface UFX horrible pops with firewire n UAD card/plugins

Is the UAD a PCI(e) card or FireWire? As for the ADAT problem, you'll need to be more specific. What is the device? Which ADAT port do you use?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Its the UAD-2 duo PCI-e card, and i have a TI firewire card.  Sending out to a logitech control station for ADAT just wanted to make use of my subwoofer. It worked with my previous interface. I'm assigning main out B to ADAT 1, and the faders are up for software playback and output.  What about the horrible studdering/clipping I get when enabling/disabling the ASIO in ableton?

Hi,
Are you using the latest driver for the UAD?
Which version of Ableton?
Have you tried running the Windows firewire driver in legacy mode?
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9827

The Logitech is not a ADAT device it is a Toslink Stereo device. It needs ot be plugged into ADAT 2.
ADAT 2 needs to be set to AES/SPDIF in the Fireface Settings.

Please explain what you mean by disabling ASIO in Ableton? What is the reasoning for this?

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Legacy installed,
Latest version of ableton installed (8.2.8),
and latest version of the UAD drivers installed.
Pop's clicks and clipping continue when I enable/disable a UAD plugin anywhere in the DAW. Also, I hear a small click/clip thats just a few milliseconds right before the clip view comes up on ableton.
I kind of want to upload a video so you could see whats happening.

Fixed the ADAT/SPDIF thanks smile

here ya go just recorded a video of my problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0gmOvA … re=mh_lolz

Hi,
Is the Firewire card PCI or PCI-e?
You might want to try it in a different slot is available. Same with the UAD2. They may be steeping on each other.
Do you have the Multi- CPU option enabled or disabled in the UAD control panel?
With this only happening when using Firewire it would seem like there is some PCI and /or PCI-e buss interrupt happening that is long enough to cause these drop outs and crackles.

Thanks Chris

Other than

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

the firewire is pci-e, i actually bought this just recently to see if it would solve the problem because the firewire card i had before was just plain PCI...didn't solve the problem! ;[

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if its not a problem under USB, why not just use USB?

why use IDE vs SATA?? why use SSD versus a Hard Disk??

Firewire is not "faster" than USB, as far as the UFX is concerned... So the question is valid indeed...

Regards
Danel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

what about latency?
and buffer size

On a good system, USB might even have a slight advantage here...
Neither is FW "faster" per se, nor does interface bandwidth (not "speed") translate into latency directly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME