Topic: Fireface UC recording problem

Fireface UC serious problem.
Yesterday evening I made a concert recording. 4 channel (ORTF and 2 solists mics). Fireface UC connected to a laptop. Using DigiCheck 5.32 to record, as I most of the time do. A mix of the 4 channels was routed to output 1/2, were I connected a Zoom H4n memorycard recorder as a backup recorder.
On the headphones everything was fine. No interrupts were seen in DigiCheck.
Loaded the recording on my desktop and at playing regular interruptions, with a whistling tone, were there (I can send a small piece with it). Checked the backup recording on the Zoom. No problems.
It looks like something went wrong with or the communication Fireface <-> PC or on the PC.
Tomorrow I will make a test setup to check if it can be reproduced.
I need the Fireface next sunday for a livestream of a concert, so please a reaction.

Re: Fireface UC recording problem

Hi,
So the Fireface UC was working and recording fine before you tried bringing out to record the concert?
Or did you not test it with this laptop before doing the concert?

Laptops are very prone to issues especially in a live situation unless they are very carefully configured and tested.
Power and Grounding issues on location.
Power Management implementation in the BIOs and Operating system.
Driver interrupts from other on board devices such a s video card, WiFI, NIC, Bluetooth, card readers, just to name a few.

I would investigate all these possibilities before doing the next performance.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks Chris,
You could be right if it was the first time I recorded in this setup. But I already made a 100 recordings with it.
I stripped down XP as can be found on the internet "how to configure a DAW".
Never had any problem, until now. OhMG, it  had an update this week from Microsoft. And what I also remember now, I installed the USB driver for a Focusrite 8i6, brought along by a friend, and never uninstalled it.
Time to make a test setup, and do some nasty checks.
Thanks, Cees Sterrenburg

Hi,
Uninstalled the FocusWrong stuff, everything okay again.  Grrrrr
Lessons learned the hard way. Never use your recording PC for testing, and if you are stubborn, remove immediately after test.

Hi Cees,
Great to see it was that simple.
I would still do some testing before the concert though just to be safe. smile

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

New FF UC problem.
I did a lot of tests last week. Everything went as I wished. No problems at all.
Packed everything for a concertrecording on Sunday. Unpacked and connected.
The red hostlight on the FF switched off.
Windows gave a happy beep that the FF was connected.
Opened FF USB settings.
First tab -Fireface UC(1)- everything looks okay
Second tab -Gain(1)- only the Level box.
Third tab -LTC(1)-
     LTC In box only --:--:--:--
     Input State no LTC
Tried everything possible at that moment, disconnected powercord of FF, reconnected USB, used other USB cable, removed drivers from system and reinstalled (v10119). Nothing helped. So went to plan B, using my Zoom H4n backup recorder as main recorder.
Back at home the same situation. I'm puzzled.
Looks like a hardwarefault in the FF.

Will undust my old Multiface and old PC with the PCMCIA slot, to be sure that I can make recordings on Wednesday and Thursday.

Thanks for a quick answer.

gr.,
Cees Sterrenburg

Sorry, but where exactly is the problem? Should you be looking for gain settings, you will find these in the mixer now (channel settings).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Oops, bright red face.
This was my first time with the new TotalMix. Yes, everything is okay.
During testing did intuitively what was needed. On site, fell back in old habits.
Please put a warning in USB settings that gain etc is moved to the new TotalMix. I will not be the first or the last forgetting it in the setup stress for a recording.
Thanks.

The problem continues.
Made a recording last night. Big problems in the recording, interrupts, strange noises, etc. They occured very often. Looking in FF USB Setting the errors were counting up quickly.
This morning made a test setup. Everything okay, no problems at all. Puzzled.
Then remembered the WiFi connection popping up when I started the laptop, and having neglected it, because I needed no internet connection.
Switched off my WiFi with the switch on the keyboard. Error counting started, and Windows told me there was no WiFi to connect to.
Reconnecting WiFi, error counting stopped.
Disabled WiFi in Control Panel / Network screen. Error counting stopped, and stayed on 0/0.
I'm using RME drivers v 1.019. Recording with DigiCheck 5.32
Laptop Acer Extensa 7630EZ, running Windows XP SP3. Wireless Network Adapter Atheros AR5B93
What´s happening?
Greetings, Cees Sterrenburg

I´m guessing that disabling with the keyboard, still leaves something active of the driver/adapter and windows still tries to connect, which fails and causes massive dpc spikes. The only solution is what you already found out and do it that way or maybe leave it on. You could also let Acer know of the problem, they might fix it with a software or bios update (if they havn´t already done that, did you check for updates from them?)

But...good catch!!!!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Laptop Wifi adapters are known to be a possible cause for audio problems.
I would suggest to just keave it disabled and invest 20 Euros or whatever in a USB WiFi adapter to connect whenever needed...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks,
Regards, Cees Sterrenburg