Topic: Noise with power supply in ff400

Hi! first of all, I´m from spain so sorry for my english;)
With firewire power the interface works fine. When I put the power supply  the outputs sound a noise like a fm radio, in a few minutes the noise increase up for a seconds and then stops and the interface works fine. 
what cause this?
Can damage the interface?
thanks!!

Re: Noise with power supply in ff400

Is this the original power supply? Can you test another one with similar technical data?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, is the original power supply. I'm searching someone in my area with a ff400 to test another power supply. But no luck yet...

If you look at the writing on the back of your FF400 near the power inlet, you'll see that the unit is VERY forgiving regarding power!   There's nothing magic about the supplied adapter.  Anything that supplies within the very wide range of acceptable voltages will do.

Thanks laurence, I'll try a compatible adapter.

I tested a:
MODEL: AD-1200500DV
PRI 230V~50Hz 200 mA
SEC 12V~500mA

The noise is even worst!  Since this is happened I use firewire power and no problem, It's a pity not to use the power adapter but I do not want to risk damaging the interface.

That power supply might be too small for the FF400.   

The output (SEC 12V) must be able to supply at least 1A (1000mA).

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

8 (edited by vic.bit 2012-02-18 18:09:43)

Thanks for the info! I miss this data,I have one who supplied 3A but I don´t know if is dangerous to the interface, in your comment you said "at least" this means 3A do the job too?

Yes ... the 1A requirement is a minimum.  Any 12V supply with a current rating more than this (like 3A) will be fine.  For example it is safe to connect it to a 12V car battery, which can supply hundreds of Amps.

If you search the forum here, I think MC has even said that it is safe to connect it to 12V AC, which also means that it will not be damaged if the 12V DC is connected the wrong way round.  It is not something I am recommending, but just an indication that RME power supplies seem to be designed for the real world.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Thanks! Tomorrow i will tested this power supply and see what's happen.

it works!! the original power supply si damaged, thanks to all for your interest, really apreciate!:-)