Topic: Auto Set & Auto Level - The Difference

Hello. Would somebody from RME explain what is the difference between using Auto Set and Auto Level features on Totalmix FX for the UFX? Would any on those 2 features prevent a clipping input signal without using compression? would any of them help getting a highest possible gain setting without clipping? I searched the forum before posting this but the words (Auto Set) and (Auto Level) are just too generic that i'm not getting any posts related to my question. I also tried reading the manual but it doesn't say much about them. Thanks.

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Re: Auto Set & Auto Level - The Difference

In TMFX online help file:

AutoSet activates an automatic gain reduction preventing overloads caused by too high gain settings. AutoSet tries to keep a headroom of 6 dB. Levels higher than -6 dBFS will permanently reduce the gain. To check set the channels to a high gain and apply an input signal. The button will quickly rotate back to a gain that is appropriate.

AutoSet acts on the preamp gain setting, Auto Level acts on the digital signal in TMFX.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Should it put the level back up if it becomes too quiet? and should it be on all the time when recording? or just use it to set the levels and deactivate it before recording?

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

i have no idea why my posts are doubled. didnt do that intentially....

Michael A wrote:

Should it put the level back up if it becomes too quiet? and should it be on all the time when recording? or just use it to set the levels and deactivate it before recording?

No, no, yes, it works best to set your preamp gain quickly during sound check.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Great, Thanks. Now what's the difference between that and Auto Level in the Dynamics section?

Auto Level does not affect the recording level, only monitoring, as it acts on the signal inside TMFX.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have the option (EQ&Dynamics for record) Checked in the settings. I use that to apply slight compression and high pass. to mic inputs. what exactly does auto level do?

Hello? Anybody?

i wonder how many times should i post before i get a reply..

Quote from the manual:

"Headroom. To minimize short-time overloads and clipping of the signal peaks Auto Level can
be set to operate at a fixed offset to 0 dBFS. Adjustable from 3 dB to 12 dB. "

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

i have read that in the manual but i don't understand what "Auto Level can
be set to operate at a fixed offset to 0 dBFS. Adjustable from 3 dB to 12 dB" means. if you can explain that to me i'd be greatful. thanks

It means you can adjust it from 3 DB to 12 DB! It will limit the max level to -3DBFS to -12DBFS.

Isaac P

Michael A wrote:

i have read that in the manual but i don't understand what "Auto Level can
be set to operate at a fixed offset to 0 dBFS. Adjustable from 3 dB to 12 dB" means. if you can explain that to me i'd be greatful. thanks

Hi,This is Tozzi,I also think that What is Auto level.
I want use this for vocal recording.So,I tried to Fireface settings option,EQ+D for record
The resalts are Like a compresser.(Auto Level 4.5 6.0 0.1)
Please try it,and tell me your opinion,thank you!