Topic: RME Fireface UC Stand Alone Mode

Hello Everyone;
I've searched through different posts here and got a bit confused with what "stand alone" means in case of Fireface UC and Babyface. Please help.
Apart from a regular inferace role, I need to use it as preamp and a/d converter, but without using a computer (and send the signal to some external device, i.e. through spdif). Power with active usb hub and ac adapter respectively, ofcourse.
Is it possible?
Thank you, greets

Re: RME Fireface UC Stand Alone Mode

It's possible with the UC. Routings and mixer settings are can be saved as recallable setups into the unit. The Babyface needs a host computer.

best regards
Knut

Thanks a lot!

Is it possible in the meantime to switch on/off phantom power in standalone mode? Has been a problem in the past.

i just got the 400 and i cant find where to turn on phantom power?  simple question, i know. im new.  any help would be much appreciated.  i too would like to know if phantom power works in stand alone mode

wes

i have almost the same question; i want to connect the fireface uc in the standalone-mode to the multiface using the tos-link (adat) + wordclock in order to have more output-channels. but i don´t know how to setup the fireface uc, that it works as an DA-converter.
any ideas?

thx a lot in advance!

Does phantom power work in standalone mode? Yes it does. Just switch it on when the device is connected to the computer, then press the 'Store in Flash' button in the Settings dialogue. Next time you fire it up, phantom power is engaged.

But my question starts there. Can it do harm to my (condenser) mics when I plug it in or out with phantom power switched on? Or is it safer to connect the mics first, before powering up the unit, and disconnect it in the opposite order?

I should add that I only know about the Fireface 400, but I assume it works the same as the FF UC.